Jana officially not participating in the 22-23 season [MERGED] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jana officially not participating in the 22-23 season [MERGED]

Reaction Score
Yeahhhhhh! Jana will fill several Uconn needs. Most importantly, she will get an opportunity to become acquainted with her teammates, observe D1 ball, see several venues, gain strength and nutrition, i.e., get to know Hudy and work on shooting with Coach P. Next year, she will be a winner; much stronger physically and with basketball fundamentals. Many years a champion with KK, Ashlyn and Qadence! Go Huskies

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just imagine when she gets into UConn shape!
I like the fact that she comes in early, and with lots of prior international experience, playing against some very good players her own age and size. It won’t hurt to have her go against Dorka, Amari and Ayanna in practice either. :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Watching the video just WOW. Left hand can dribble has a fade away and his very tall. Does UConn have a roster next season??? Dont forget about Silva 6'6 from Portugal. Fans were talking about Geno's retirement. He just may retire into another coaching position at UConn which means me may never be able to retire, just slow down. Jana looks really really good in the video. Advanced in years

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
1674505511443.png

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Ok, so I'm going to update my technicolor roster and need some advice. Rather than coding Jana as a year.5 like I did Saylor, should I just include her with the freshmen and then let it all play out in a few years?

Reaction Score
Ah, there's less than a minute left in the National Championship game, UConn vs So. Carolina again with the score tied 60-60. UConn entered the game with a roster of seven (7) but lost one player to injury in the first half and has just lost yet another player to injury. Enter Jana El Alfy who has not played at all this season. The Gamecocks make a single free throw, putting them ahead 62-61 with five (5) seconds left on the clock. Muhl rifles a long distance pass to El Alfy for the winning basket. UConn wins its 13th NC 63-62.
That isn't an impossibility, or UConn could have front court injuries.

She speaks perfect "American" English and has been playing at above a high school level. She might just need to be a defensive presence.

Finally, if she can contribute to a national championship now, why give up that opportunity for some future situation four years away when her presence might not be as significant.

UConn is all about national championships , not regular season play.

Reaction Score
Ah, there's less than a minute left in the National Championship game, UConn vs So. Carolina again with the score tied 60-60. UConn entered the game with a roster of seven (7) but lost one player to injury in the first half and has just lost yet another player to injury. Enter Jana El Alfy who has not played at all this season. The Gamecocks make a single free throw, putting them ahead 62-61 with five (5) seconds left on the clock. Muhl rifles a long distance pass to El Alfy for the winning basket. UConn wins its 13th NC 63-62.
I could live with that.
Until I wake up, anyway.

Reaction Score
The Big East seven player minimum rule requires seven players who are able to play without a minutes limitation. In my opinion, playing a kid who was playing high school basketball a month ago without a minute cap would be reckless. That’s why I don’t think the addition of Jana changes the math of that seven person rule as it pertains to Connecticut.
I did not get to reply to you on the other thread before it got locked. She has not been playing at the high school level although she has participated in youth tournaments. She has been playing at the highest level in Egypt with and against professionals including Americans. Her last game was against Saturday against the team that just won the club championship for all of Africa last month. Sure there will be an adjustment, especially at the highest college level, but I feel reasonably confident that she could physically participate in a DI game right now if necessary.

Reaction Score
Agree with both awhom111 and JellyBean. Jana has a lot to experience and get under control. Could she play now if needed, Yes, I believe so. But she needs to get settled, met Hudy, and practice up. She'll have plenty of time to shine. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
I was thinking of Big East games. I expect Ayanna and Caroline to be back long before the tournament games begin. UConn should have a solid 9 player active roster available for conference and NCAA tournament games.
From your phone to Ayanna's and Caroline's heads, Carnac. I'm not so sure, especially about Caroline, but I certainly hope your seer-ability is on the mark here.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Seventeen!
UConn has two 17 year olds on the team, wonder how many times that has happened in Women's basketball. Guess Ines and Jana will be considered the young ones this season.

Correction Ines turned 18 on September 29th, they are still the young ones though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn has two 17 year olds on the team, wonder how many times that has happened in Women's basketball. Guess Ines and Jana will be considered the young ones this season.
I believe Ines turned 18 before the season even started.

Reaction Score
Watching the video just WOW. Left hand can dribble has a fade away and his very tall. Does UConn have a roster next season??? Dont forget about Silva 6'6 from Portugal. Fans were talking about Geno's retirement. He just may retire into another coaching position at UConn which means me may never be able to retire, just slow down. Jana looks really really good in the video. Advanced in years

Yes - advanced in years for sure it seems Tony - and breaking through some of those down low double teams with a little bit of Kevin McHale style up and under moves..:D:D:D

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score

I must have missed where / when Geno won his 12th NC ...
The sequence described above is from the April 2024 Final :D

Reaction Score
When did win number 12:confused::D

Reaction Score
Jana will help Amari DeBerry's development. Providing a sense of freedom.......and having fun while playing. AD needs to be less up tight and afraid to make mistakes. A good new teammate. Is Jana a muslim.....this will enamour DeBerry. Also, looms.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom