Jana officially not participating in the 22-23 season [MERGED] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jana officially not participating in the 22-23 season [MERGED]

Reaction Score
I was wondering about that language as well. If we only have six other players available, does Jana count as the seventh? I suppose one could argue that she isn’t physically prepared to play at this level yet.
She’s as physically able as Chloe Kitts or Cassandra Prosper.

If, as reported, she has been added to the rosters, she can go any time Heno feels the need to put her in.

I doubt it happens, but with what y’all have experienced this year . . .

Last edited:

Jim

Reaction Score
The Big East rule requires seven scholarship players available to have a game. Jana could end up being the 7th but not go in the game. That would allow the game to continue but still not use up a year of her eligibility.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

If, as reported, she has been added to the rosters, she can go any time Heno feels the need to put her in.

Did Kitts join you guys at the start of the season? Prosper is a good comparison but I am still not convinced that a high school player can join a high-major college team mid-season and be expected to play without a minutes limitation. In fact, I’ll go so far as to say, I think it’s a little reckless.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Big East rule requires seven scholarship players available to have a game. Jana could end up being the 7th but not go in the game. That would allow the game to continue but still not use up a year of her eligibility.
Since the Big East has the 7 person rule (i.e. team can postpone game if it has less than 7 players able to play), in the case this would ever come up, would rather see UConn postpone than play with only 6 able Huskies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Very cool stats about the roster. IMHO, having players from different countries gives everyone a chance to learn something they might not know, and for the non-US players, a bit of bonding with being away from home, etc.
1674501023675.png

Reaction Score

I'm confused about why Chloe Kitts is actually playing this year...........it's not like South Carolina has a short bench.......

Reaction Score
Ah, there's less than a minute left in the National Championship game, UConn vs So. Carolina again with the score tied 60-60. UConn entered the game with a roster of seven (7) but lost one player to injury in the first half and has just lost yet another player to injury. Enter Jana El Alfy who has not played at all this season. The Gamecocks make a single free throw, putting them ahead 62-61 with five (5) seconds left on the clock. Muhl rifles a long distance pass to El Alfy for the winning basket. UConn wins its 13th NC 63-62.

Reaction Score
Did Kitts join you guys at the start of the season? Prosper is a good comparison but I am still not convinced that a high school player can join a high-major college team mid-season and be expected to play without a minutes limitation. In fact, I’ll go so far as to say, I think it’s a little reckless.
No minute limitation, but the year counts toward the 4/5 season limitation despite what some misinformed Notre Dame folks might assert. Kitts and Prosper are using one of their seasons of eligibility.

It can be different for a medical redshirt but that's a hardship issue; not one of choice.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
She can shoot with either hand, has both down low and outside shots in her game and is 6'5". Welcome aboard Jana, hope UConn does not have to use you as a player this season, so that we can watch you for four years.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't know what the rules are for the tournament, but imagine having to forfeit a tournament game - or playing with only 4 players!
I was thinking of Big East games. I expect Ayanna and Caroline to be back long before the tournament games begin. UConn should have a solid 9 player active roster available for conference and NCAA tournament games.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes, of course. But there’s also the freedom of choice to be a non-practicing Muslim to consider! Or to change religion or to reject religion! Or to engage in social practices prohibited by Islam.

There is a lot to adjust to
It’s been said that some of the things you learn in college will not be in the classroom. That will be especially true in Jana’s case. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Very excited to have her. This extra season will do her a world of good and introduce her to her teammates and the system and the crowds and the NCAA! Wow. She has no idea I am sure.
To be 18 and begin college in a foreign country. The world is her oyster. She’ll experience so many new things and meet lots of new people including some of her countrymen from Egypt.

Jim

Reaction Score
Since the Big East has the 7 person rule (i.e. team can postpone game if it has less than 7 players able to play), in the case this would ever come up, would rather see UConn postpone than play with only 6 able Huskies.
If Jana is officially a scholarship player on the roster, the team cannot request a postponement if Jana makes 7. They would have to play or forfeit. I, too, would not like to see them play with only 6. But you play the hand you are dealt.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No minute limitation, but the year counts toward the 4/5 season limitation despite what some misinformed Notre Dame folks might assert. Kitts and Prosper are using one of their seasons of eligibility.

It can be different for a medical redshirt but that's a hardship issue; not one of choice.
The Big East seven player minimum rule requires seven players who are able to play without a minutes limitation. In my opinion, playing a kid who was playing high school basketball a month ago without a minute cap would be reckless. That’s why I don’t think the addition of Jana changes the math of that seven person rule as it pertains to Connecticut.

Reaction Score
They must have been publishing this news as I was putting my post together. I was just nosing around the roster page and I was stunned by the speed with which they updated it. She started classes and gets to see the rare New england snow storm as well.

Reaction Score
If I understand from all the posts this week, she has 5 years of eligibility from when she enrolls. I think it may only start if she is on scholarship, not sure if she is on scholarship this semester. If she is, then her 5 years is up around Jan. 20, 2028. For that time frame, she has 4 years of competition allowed, with 1 second of play counting as a year, unless she gets a medical redshirt. If she plays the next four seasons, that ends in Spring of 2027 at the end of the season. If she tries to take a year off after she starts playing she would get in what we would call 3.5 seasons before her eligibility ends in January of 2028, and she would off the team that last half of the 2027-2028 season. But this is way too much speculation. Let's just let it play out and see what happens. With our luck we may have ..... no I won't even say it. That would bring the curse to life.

Has anyone found the blasted doll with the pin in it so we can pull it out?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Ah, there's less than a minute left in the National Championship game, UConn vs So. Carolina again with the score tied 60-60. UConn entered the game with a roster of seven (7) but lost one player to injury in the first half and has just lost yet another player to injury. Enter Jana El Alfy who has not played at all this season. The Gamecocks make a single free throw, putting them ahead 62-61 with five (5) seconds left on the clock. Muhl rifles a long distance pass to El Alfy for the winning basket. UConn wins its 13th NC 63-62.
I must have missed where / when Geno won his 12th NC ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom