Jana officially not participating in the 22-23 season [MERGED] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jana officially not participating in the 22-23 season [MERGED]

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I did not get to reply to you on the other thread before it got locked. She has not been playing at the high school level although she has participated in youth tournaments. She has been playing at the highest level in Egypt with and against professionals including Americans. Her last game was against Saturday against the team that just won the club championship for all of Africa last month. Sure there will be an adjustment, especially at the highest college level, but I feel reasonably confident that she could physically participate in a DI game right now if necessary.
I’m pretty sure I did reply to you, if not, then, I did to someone else. There’s just a huge difference between playing high school and playing D1 major. Could she get on the court? Absolutely. Could she play, I don’t know 30 minutes? Absolutely not. That’s no slight against her, that’s just a recognition of the difference between high school sports in college sports.

Reaction Score
UConn has two 17 year olds on the team, wonder how many times that has happened in Women's basketball. Guess Ines and Jana will be considered the young ones this season.

Correction Ines turned 18 on September 29th, they are still the young ones though.
I am not sure about two 17 year olds on the team. But I do remember another foreign student who joined the team at 17 - Svetlana.

Reaction Score
The Big East seven player minimum rule requires seven players who are able to play without a minutes limitation. In my opinion, playing a kid who was playing high school basketball a month ago without a minute cap would be reckless. That’s why I don’t think the addition of Jana changes the math of that seven person rule as it pertains to Connecticut.
Because you think it reckless does not in any way change the math. No doubt in my mind it would be allowed, now whether Uconn would do it or not is another story.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hope she can get some Near East dishes that remind her of home. The food can be a jolt.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Watching the video just WOW. Left hand can dribble has a fade away and his very tall. Does UConn have a roster next season??? Dont forget about Silva 6'6 from Portugal. Fans were talking about Geno's retirement. He just may retire into another coaching position at UConn which means me may never be able to retire, just slow down. Jana looks really really good in the video. Advanced in years
Here is the link for who TonyC is referring

Reaction Score
I hope that they introduce Jana as the newest Huskie prior to the game so she can get the biggest Uconn welcome
from all the students and fans. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure I did reply to you, if not, then, I did to someone else. There’s just a huge difference between playing high school and playing D1 major. Could she get on the court? Absolutely. Could she play, I don’t know 30 minutes? Absolutely not. That’s no slight against her, that’s just a recognition of the difference between high school sports in college sports.
But the post said she's not playing against high school players, but professional players older than college. This response confuses me in the context of your back and forth.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Look at those take no prisoners down low powerful post moves from Ms El Alfy...!

I am so, so, pumped about her being a Husky...!

The amazing thing about this video is its not a highlight video its an actual game. This girl has skills and I cant wait to see how Geno and Chris develop her for next year. There is alot of potential there and alot of raw talent. Jana is special already.

Reaction Score
"not expected to participate" means you have some insurance against the risk of forfeit.
Excuse me if this sentiment has been posted already, as I didn’t have time to read all the posts, but I would much rather forfeit a single regular season game then have a talented athlete lose a year of eligibility.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From your phone to Ayanna's and Caroline's heads, Carnac. I'm not so sure, especially about Caroline, but I certainly hope your seer-ability is on the mark here.
The Big East WBB tournament is March 3-6, 2023. If Caroline Doesn’t return by then, she’ll be done for the year.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Jana in warmups, next to Ice
JanaUConn.jpg

Reaction Score
That isn't an impossibility, or UConn could have front court injuries.

She speaks perfect "American" English and has been playing at above a high school level. She might just need to be a defensive presence.

Finally, if she can contribute to a national championship now, why give up that opportunity for some future situation four years away when her presence might not be as significant.

UConn is all about national championships , not regular season play.
You are absolutely right... and the GREAT THING is that Geno can make this decision as the season continues... he can watch her in practice, how she competes against Dorka, Aaliayh, Amari and Ayanna and see if it makes sense to put her on the floor THIS season. IF Azzi and Caroline return and are productive... Geno can scout the rest of D1 WBB and make his assessment if this would / could be the missing piece of a championship.

Reaction Score
She’s as physically able as Chloe Kitts or Cassandra Prosper.

If, as reported, she has been added to the rosters, she can go any time Heno feels the need to put her in.

I doubt it happens, but with what y’all have experienced this year . . .

Reaction Score
One word of caution, many of the same posters gushing over this young lady were the same people wondering how many times Patterson was going to dunk the ball this year. I guess some will never acknowledge the tremendous jump in competition these players face, especially big players.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But the post said she's not playing against high school players, but professional players older than college. This response confuses me in the context of your back and forth.
Lol, I’m not sure it really matters, but since you asked, it’s challenging for highschoolers to move at it peace and intensity of high-level college athletes in this server, more prone to injury.

Better?

Carnac

Reaction Score
The amazing thing about this video is its not a highlight video its an actual game. This girl has skills and I cant wait to see how Geno and Chris develop her for next year. There is alot of potential there and alot of raw talent. Jana is special already.
Humph...............she has her foot work together. Once she get's comfortable in the system and with her teammates, Jana looks like she could be a real nasty piece of business for our opponents next season. :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
One word of caution, many of the same posters gushing over this young lady were the same people wondering how many times Patterson was going to dunk the ball this year. I guess some will never acknowledge the tremendous jump in competition these players face, especially big players.
I was one of them. I was wrong. :( You're suggesting we temper our enthusiasm until AFTER the first 5-6 games in November eh? :oops:
That's going to be hard. Some posters will have her as the BE freshman of the year between April and November.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom