Jana El Alfy Enrolling Early | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jana El Alfy Enrolling Early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think she will play this year and burn a year of availability. She will probably just practice with the team if they want her to, but as far as playing, I doubt it.
I'm with you and @Carnac and @cgshuskie . Just participating in practices will be huge. We don't even have enough bodies for a full 5 on 5 practice session now. Plus, just learning the system will be important. And maybe getting an academic head start so her workload is reduced in future years is important too.

I don't know the eligibility rules if she does get into a few games this season. Can she play less than some number and still have 4 years? Is this what Saylor was able to do?

Whatever else comes from this, I'm sure she'll bring a big emotional lift to the rest of the team knowing she's there, getting to know her and accept her into the fold. There are just so many positive dimensions to this development beyond just playing in a few games.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Hey another healthy player is another healthy player. Even if she can't contribute much right now , she can posssibly soak up a few minutes and some experience here and there in blowouts.

Reaction Score
That earlier comment was me trying to remain calm. But OMG!!!, everyone in Storrs must be weeping for joy. It's like Jana is riding in on a white horse.

Jana to the rescue!!!

She and Dorka and Amari and Aaliyah and Ice are going to become quite a crew. I hope they all become best friends.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
That sounds nice. But Morrow hasn’t played against SC or Stanford.
Would love to see her battle those bigs, but we beat Stanford last year with Liv, and while I have love and respect for her she had the killer instinct of a turtle, imo gotta have some Dawg in ya to bang down low, Morrow at 6-1 definitely holds her own as UConn has witnessed.

Reaction Score
Would love to see her battle those bigs, but we beat Stanford last year with Liv, and while I have love and respect for her she had the killer instinct of a turtle, imo gotta have some Dawg in ya to bang down low, Morrow at 6-1 definitely holds her own as UConn has witnessed.
I wonder how Morrow would do against Brink and Iriafen. It's possible she'd get them in foul trouble right away, especially if the DePaul guards actually hit their 3s.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I wonder how Morrow would do against Brink and Iriafen. It's possible she'd get them in foul trouble right away, especially if the DePaul guards actually hit their 3s.
IF.......two letters but a big word

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
FYI, Liv lead all players on both teams with 10 rebounds vs Stanford. I’m not at all worried about Morrow and the Blue Demons. I’m concerned with Boston, Cardosa & Amihere at SC and Brink, Betts & Prechtel with Stanford.

On many of the national championships that UConn won, the Huskies have fielded a team with 1-2 present or future 1st team AA centers: Rebecca, Kara, Tina, Steph & Stewie. I just don’t see UConn winning another national championship without a true center to match up with the Bigs on top teams around the country.

Reaction Score
IMO Ice & Aaliyah are forwards. UConn can certainly get by with either of them playing center vs BE teams and many P5 programs around the country. But when the Huskies face the towering front lines of SC or Stanford, I think it’s essential that they have a true center in the lineup.

Edwards and Juhasz are also forwards. And despite being 6'5 so is Deberry.

Of all the players for next year Brady has the best body for banging in the paint even though she has a perimeter game. Edwards is locked into the front court and the competition for the other starting job should be very competitive. Deberry, Patterson, Brady, El Alfy.

Reaction Score
FYI, Liv lead all players on both teams with 10 rebounds vs Stanford. I’m not at all worried about Morrow and the Blue Demons. I’m concerned with Boston, Cardosa & Amihere at SC and Brink, Betts & Prechtel with Stanford.

On many of the national championships that UConn won, the Huskies have fielded a team with 1-2 present or future 1st team AA centers: Rebecca, Kara, Tina, Steph & Stewie. I just don’t see UConn winning another national championship without a true center to match up with the Bigs on top teams around the country.
Stevie’s is no more of a center than Edwards. And you seem to have left off many of the championships without AA centers. That’s called cherry picking.

Also Boston isn’t going to be at South Carolina next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Of all the players for next year Brady has the best body for banging in the paint even though she has a perimeter game. Edwards is locked into the front court and the competition for the other starting job should be very competitive. Deberry, Patterson, Brady, El Alfy.
Time will tell. But as far as banging in the paint, Dorka is certainly capable, as is Amari if she continues to improve her footwork.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Heck next year UConn should be able to do 5 on 5 subbing when they want to and have very little drop off in play.

Reaction Score

Lobo & Stewart were 4's, Tina has been a 4 in the pros. Walters & Dolson were centers. Being an AA has had far more to do with UConn's titles than whether they had a 5.
2002, arguably the best UConn team didn't even have a true 4 if size is the criteria.

Reaction Score
I’m less interested in terms like forward and center than I am in high post and low post. Aaliyah and Dorka play both on O, as does Amari. Geno has always liked having a big in the high post is some offensive sets. It works best if they can hit the 3, but the passing is the main thing.

On D, we have to have a rim protector and rebounder. That means consistently boxing out better than we often do. This is where Ayanna and Ice could have helped us this season, and Ayanna still might. But Geno also has been using Aaliyah and Dorka at the top of the key and even on the wing to disrupt passing and perimeter shooting. Amari could become our rim protector, but she’s not quite there yet in terms of her positioning.

Reaction Score
A front court of Jana, Dorka and AE, with Azzi and Lou in the backcourt will be tough to matchup and beat in March, even against SC. Let's go!

Reaction Score
IMHO, though it would be nice to have an extra body around during the games I think it'll be more beneficial for Jana to practice and learn the UCONN system and battle some really good bigs! As well as getting used to going to classes since she was home schooled and starting in on her education! They shouldn't put extra pressure on her since she's starting so late!
Next year she'll be biting at the bit to start her eligibility!

Reaction Score
Say Jana does play this season and loses a year of eligibility, can she still play an extra year as a grad student if she’s willing to do so?

Reaction Score
Jana is 6'4" and only 17 years old, born Sep. 20, 2005. She can gain 1-2 inch more. She will be a very powerful center next season.
Pretty unlikely she will grow much, if any taller. Girls tend to reach their adult height before the age of 17. Not impossible, of course, just unlikely. She can, and likely will, get stronger, quicker, more skilled and more knowledgeable by enrolling early. I was already happy with her signing but this exponentially increases the chances that she will b a major contributor from day one of her freshman season!

Reaction Score
Say Jana does play this season and loses a year of eligibility, can she still play an extra year as a grad student if she’s willing to do so?
I don’t think so. There’s no special extension for grad students. But folks who lost a year due to injury (or the Covid years) can get that year back if they are still students. Typically this involves enrolling as a grad student. But it’s still just 4 years of eligibility (or the one year exception for the Covid disruption).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom