Jana El Alfy Enrolling Early | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jana El Alfy Enrolling Early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but she could still use a covid year right? so even if she plays this season, she could still use the covid extra year, which will still give her 4 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what they will do

No. The covid year was to make up for the season that ended early due to covid. You had to be enrolled that year to get the extra year.

Reaction Score
This will only help her.
I doubt she plays this year, but look at how it helped Karaban on the men's team. It's clearly made a difference. She will learn quickly about what it takes going against elite big women like Edwards and Djorka.

Reaction Score
But is she ready for the step up in competition and playing the UConn way?
She participated in the 2022 FIBA U18 African Championship with Egypt, averaging 24.7 points, 11.5 rebounds, and 2.5 assists per game. The year before, El Alfy led her country to gold at the U17 African Championship.

This past summer, she participated in a Basketball Without Borders event in Cairo, which is organized by the NBA and FIBA. El Alfy was taken with the first pick of the BWB draft by Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr and earned MVP honors.

Last edited:

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Personally I think it's an awesome idea on her part.
Arriving in a new country, with all those dynamics.
My understanding is that she's home schooled. Again, new environment.

If the UConn read and react is SO hard. If team chemistry is so critical to preform at the level that UConn plays. . . Why would we expect this kid to come an be a contributor?

My only reference to coming in early is Saylor. Who, if I remember correctly didn't lose a year of eligibility. How great was that?

Reaction Score
Bettencourt made the jump from EuroU18 to WCBB but is a ways from being considered a contributor. Whether El Alfy can contribute this semester will become clear by her 2nd practice. But if she is coming to work and learn then it's a good move. A motivated player can get stronger and learn a lot in 4 months.

Reaction Score
Wow. I saw a tweet that vaguely suggested this, but was focused on coffee and breakfast and couldn't find it again, and didn't want to post speculative info.
I saw this one earlier today..
Screenshot_20230121-140721_Instagram.jpg

Reaction Score
I don't think she will play this year and burn a year of availability. She will probably just practice with the team if they want her to, but as far as playing, I doubt it.
Jana learns the system and what it means to play for UCONN in real time! However, if
she does play this year (I'm guessing 'no') and she "burns' an eligibility year it might.
not make a difference in her career plans (that she means to play pro in
Europe / WNBA and for her National Team. Good luck to JANA!

Reaction Score
i think (and i did not stay in a holiday inn express last night) that shes coming to try to play now if she can and worry about the extra years later on. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am sure that Geno, Jana and Jana’s father/coach on the national team have discussed the potential benefits of Jana’s early arrival on campus, and whether or not she will or should get any PT this season. The decision to have Jana arrive early will, at a minimum, allow her to practice at the highest level, under the supervision of the best coaching staff in WBB, while getting accustomed to living and going to school in a foreign country.

With Dorka moving on, UConn will
need a center next season. The options are Amari, Jana or someone out of the transfer portal. Jana just upped her chances of earning significant PT, and possibly the starting job with her decision to enroll early.

Reaction Score
Getting a semester ahead in academics is a good thing. Practicing and learning UConn basketball is good thing. Being available in case of a disaster is (maybe) a good thing. Actually playing? I don't know if that is a slam dunk good thing. Pros and Cons all over the place.

If she plays, I hope her spring has better luck than Saylor (who was not 100% most of the time).

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Most likely the TBD is dependent on getting approval from the NCAA and maybe even the Big East on the eligibility of her playing. I thought I read somewhere that she has something like 10 days from the start of a semester to enroll to be eligible to participate in sport activities.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but she could still use a covid year right? so even if she plays this season, she could still use the covid extra year, which will still give her 4 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what they will do
I don't believe COVID years are applicable for new enrollees. I think the last eligible class are this year's junior class, the graduating class of 2024.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
She participated in the 2022 FIBA U18 African Championship with Egypt, averaging 24.7 points, 11.5 rebounds, and 2.5 assists per game. The year before, El Alfy led her country to gold at the U17 African Championship.

This past summer, she participated in a Basketball Without Borders event in Cairo, which is organized by the NBA and FIBA. El Alfy was taken with the first pick of the BWB draft by Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr and earned MVP honors.
Quite a resume, you had my curiosity and now you have my attention.

Reaction Score
This is a great development for Uconn. Things are coming into place. While she likely will not play this year, practicing with the team, getting to travel in the USA and witnessing WCBB up close and personal will be of great benefit to Ms. El Alfy. She said in an earlier post that her favorite player is Breanna Stewart. Well Husky fans, fasten your seat belts......

Reaction Score
Most likely the TBD is dependent on getting approval from the NCAA and maybe even the Big East on the eligibility of her playing. I thought I read somewhere that she has something like 10 days from the start of a semester to enroll to be eligible to participate in sport activities.
Practice would be included in a sport activity. It sounds like she’s already enrolled and the semester started less than a week ago.

Reaction Score
No. She doesn’t get a Covid year,

Reaction Score
need a center next season. The options are Amari, Jana or someone out of the transfer portal. Jana just upped her chances of earning significant PT, and possibly the starting job with her decision to enroll early.
Jana is 6'4" and only 17 years old, born Sep. 20, 2005. She can gain 1-2 inch more. She will be a very powerful center next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think she will play this year and burn a year of availability. She will probably just practice with the team if they want her to, but as far as playing, I doubt it.
Prosper came in early for ND, and she is not using up a year of eligibility. They've talked about this several times during games.
Why would it be any different for ELAlfy?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
IMO Ice & Aaliyah are forwards. UConn can certainly get by with either of them playing center vs BE teams and many P5 programs around the country. But when the Huskies face the towering front lines of SC or Stanford, I think it’s essential that they have a true center in the lineup.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I am sure that Geno, Jana and Jana’s father/coach on the national team have discussed the potential benefits of Jana’s early arrival on campus, and whether or not she will or should get any PT this season. The decision to have Jana arrive early will, at a minimum, allow her to practice at the highest level, under the supervision of the best coaching staff in WBB, while getting accustomed to living and going to school in a foreign country.

How abt Ice?

Reaction Score
Wonderful news for Uconn after all that has happened to the team. There were many posts about doubting if she will start this year. My thought is the 7 player rule and that if one more player of the 7 gets hurt , then JANA will be a God send in order to keep playing. Hoped I didn't jinx the team with this comment. According to what I've been reading about her, she should step in and do well as her BB skills are supposed to be of upper level and she should help. Can't hurt. GO HUSKIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom