Jana El Alfy Enrolling Early | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Jana El Alfy Enrolling Early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure why UConn would not want to postpone a game if they only had 6 players that Geno felt were ready to play. Puts more pressure on the starters and tires them out for future games.
Because that’s not always an option and just cuts into rest and recovery for players later this season. They were supposed to have a week off this week but down they have to play on Monday because of a rescheduled game.

Also you can’t postpone BET or NCAA games.

Reaction Score
O.K. I hate to do this but I feel this needs to be cleared up a bit.

Referring to the NCAA rules again:

Eligibility Timeline​

Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to redshirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part time during your college career.
Season of competition: NCAA student-athletes are allowed to compete for four seasons in one sport. Division I and II student-athletes who compete for any amount of time during a season use up one season in their sport.

Just for clarity I refer to the highlighted text. Assuming she is now enrolled, her 5 year window of eligibility has already started. If she plays at all she uses up one year of the four competition seasons allowed. If she doesn't play she does not use any of her 4 years of competition.
BUT, the 5 year calendar year clock has started (assuming at this point she is officially enrolled).
That’s literally what we both said.

Reaction Score
She's coming to play we need bodies. I don't know the status with Azzi but it's not looking good. Jana will not need a full 4 years to get the W or back playing overseas. To me I think she's wants to be experiencing the joy of college life and playing for the huskies.

Reaction Score
Well no actually. I wrote what I wrote because you literally wrote about her stating a "4 year clock". There is no 4 year clock.
Omg I meant her four yeas of eligibility and used clock to keep it consistent. Her five year clock has started her four years hasn’t started yet. Both people in the conversation understood what was being said, you insterted yourself needlessly.

Unless you say she doesn’t have four years of eligibility in 5 years? In which case you are very wrong.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Omg I meant her four yeas of eligibility and used clock to keep it consistent. Her five year clock has started her four years hasn’t started yet. Both people in the conversation understood what was being said, you insterted yourself needlessly.

Unless you say she doesn’t have four years of eligibility in 5 years? In which case you are very wrong.
What you wrote was "literally" incorrect. It is a subject that is confusing to many (apparent by this thread content alone). I wrote a post to clarify the language for clear understanding. I think there is a "need" for clarity, again based on the obvious ongoing confusion. I'm sorry that bothered you.

Reaction Score
What you wrote was "literally" incorrect. It is a subject that is confusing to many (apparent by this thread content alone). I wrote a post to clarify the language for clear understanding. I think there is a "need" for clarity, again based on the obvious ongoing confusion. I'm sorry that bothered you.
You are right. I apologize for my rude reply.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some posters hooting and hollering for Jana to get off the plane and play do so making the implicit assumption that she will know the UConn offense like she gained it by osmosis from a TV screen, while Lou said last week that she's still learning it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
O.K. I hate to do this but I feel this needs to be cleared up a bit.

Referring to the NCAA rules again:

Eligibility Timeline​

Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to redshirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part time during your college career.
Season of competition: NCAA student-athletes are allowed to compete for four seasons in one sport. Division I and II student-athletes who compete for any amount of time during a season use up one season in their sport.

Just for clarity I refer to the highlighted text. Assuming she is now enrolled, her 5 year window of eligibility has already started. If she plays at all she uses up one year of the four competition seasons allowed. If she doesn't play she does not use any of her 4 years of competition.
BUT, the 5 year calendar year clock has started (assuming at this point she is officially enrolled).
Thanks. Now we ALL know the rules and what Janna is looking at. I understood about the 5 year clock running once she enrolled, but I thought the clock on burning a year of eligibility didn't start until she entered a game.

Reaction Score
Some posters hooting and hollering for Jana to get off the plane and play do so making the implicit assumption that she will know the UConn offense like she gained it by osmosis from a TV screen, while Lou said last week that she's still learning it.
And with the implicit assumption that she is ready for such a quantum leap in competition.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Rocky, you are absolutely correct. I already addressed that in an earlier comment. She'll be as raw as raw can get when she arrives. When she arrives on campus, she'll do as an exact clone of Hogan's Heros Sgt. Schultz..............."I know nothing." :confused: She's never played at this "elite" level against the elite players she'll be playing against. There are a lot of things she has to learn first.

1674421909822.png

Our man Sgt. Schultz

Reaction Score
Personally I think the discussion of whether or not she will burn a year of eligibility is moot. I can't see her staying 4 years. She may be an Anna Maukarat, playing for the free training under a HOF coach for a year or two and then departing for the pros in Europe. Or she could be an Elena Delle Donne, and miss her homeland, her culture, her family and friends and depart even before that. I can't imagine the culture shock she is going through. Add missing her family to the mix and all I can say is, "wow, you got some moxie, girl." Let's just enjoy her for however long she is here.

Reaction Score

it is ... four years of competition during her five years of eligibility.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
@stamfordhusky , assuming (as I do) that you are correct about the NCAA rule, is this the sort of rule that the NCAA can grant exceptions to, if they are so inclined? I recall that there was a player at Indiana (who started at Notre Dame -- Amy somebody) who somehow remained eligible for seven seasons and just finished up last year. Other players with injury histories have been granted a 6th year of eligibility. Could an exception be made in this case if the NCAA felt like doing so?

If that were possible, then UConn would obviously request a written confirmation of the exception before sending her onto the court for her first minute of play.

But I agree with others that she is quite unlikely to be physically prepared to play, or proficient enough in the UConn offense and defense, to make this a realistic possibility.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, Just got done watching the Irish manhandle a very undermanned UVA team, 76-54. If you're interested, Sonia Citron hit 6-7 threes (six in a row) to lead the Irish with 20 pts and 9 rebounds. On the down side, Dara Mabrey went down awkwardly on a lay-up attempt two minutes into the game and didn't get up. She had to be helped to the locker room and came back in the 2nd half with a brace and crutches. Uggh.

Now, onto the early enrollee situation. First, Congrats to Jana El Alfy, the UConn basketball team and fans for El Alfy coming to UConn this semester. As for the give and take with various ND enrollees:

• Olivia Miles played spring semester in 2021, which was part of the 2020-21 year affected by Covid. As such, she'll be granted an extra year of playing due to the NCAA proviso for that year.
  • When Cassandre Prosper announced she was coming, the corresponding press release had no notice of just how much eligibility she had (See below). The concept of how many years of eligibility has not come up that often on The Bench. Heck, she was playing within a week of being on campus, so the intent was to play her early and often. If Dara Mabrey is injured, she'll get a chance at even more playing time.
  • I'll ask around: Some Benchers have/used to have contacts into the program and perhaps I can get a handle on any of the interesting ideas I've read here. One I cast a dubious eye on is Cassan replacing walk-on Trinity Cha. Prosper is there on a full scholarship; Cha, nope. NCAA just cares about how many scholarship-players are on the sideline.
  • Lastly, Cassandre Prosper is young: she doesn't turn 18 until June of this year, so she can't point to the age factor for the draft (maybe the graduation).

BTW, she's still a bit hyped up, but Prosper is a really graceful 6'2" wing who glides around the court.
-

Reaction Score
@stamfordhusky , assuming (as I do) that you are correct about the NCAA rule, is this the sort of rule that the NCAA can grant exceptions to, if they are so inclined? I recall that there was a player at Indiana (who started at Notre Dame -- Amy somebody) who somehow remained eligible for seven seasons and just finished up last year. Other players with injury histories have been granted a 6th year of eligibility. Could an exception be made in this case if the NCAA felt like doing so?

If that were possible, then UConn would obviously request a written confirmation of the exception before sending her onto the court for her first minute of play.

But I agree with others that she is quite unlikely to be physically prepared to play, or proficient enough in the UConn offense and defense, to make this a realistic possibility.
Ali Patberg. If memory serves Ali suffered an ACL before her freshman year. Her 5 years of eligibility began with enrollment in 2015-16 season. She had a year of competition playing in just over half the games in 2016-17. She sat out 2017-18 after transfering. Accrued a second year of competition in 2018-19, and a third year of competition in 2019-20. Granted an additional year of eligibility to play in 2020-21 but no year of competition accrued. She appeals for an additional seventh year of eligibility to complete her fourth year of competition in 2021-22.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
In HS Ice was typically the biggest & strongest player on the court. Once healthy, we’ll see how she does in college. But at 6’3” she will play against a lot of teams with players bigger than she is and just as strong.
Like Aneesha Morrow You know the 6'1" center/post who averages 25 and 12. 6'3" is quite big enough for a center with large shoulders. Ice is what Dick Vitale calls a 'space eater'. She refers to herself as a post player and is far more suited to the post than Jana. PREDICTION: next year Ice starts in the middle. I am sorry because I love your stuff so much but this time I have to disagree. Blessings Dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom