James Bouknight Released | Page 4 | The Boneyard

James Bouknight Released

Reaction Score
People saying G League, when he was assigned G Leavue he played like a dog.

Bouknight should go to China. Maybe he can make a ton of money. I think G League isn’t going to want a part of them unless they feel they have a system that can support him.

Reaction Score
At every turn, I feel as emotionally uncomfortable reading the comments in this thread as I do reading about James Bouknight.

I feel disappointed, sad, angry, frustrated, powerless, embarrassed, judgmental, critical, and more. I don't know if that's an indictment of Bouknight, this thread, myself, the human condition, some combination of the above, or if more properly it's a call for humility and compassion when faced with a darkly reflective mirror.
In case you didn’t know it ….. you my friend, are a poet..

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Feel like the only places that could save him would be San Antonio and maybe Miami.

The culture in Miami is amazing, would just worry about Bouk being in the city of Miami as is.

Reaction Score
If he is fortunate enough to have $2M, invest that with $7.5%, and that's $150k a year without touching principle.
That's a nice cushion along with any other income he may earn.
Unfortunately I don't have a good feeling he has that much squirreled away.
He actually qualified for a pension{minimum} and maybe other retirement bennies. The point was there should have been enough left allowing to generate at least a decent supplementary income but confidence in that does not appear high.

Reaction Score
Feel like the only places that could save him would be San Antonio and maybe Miami.

The culture in Miami is amazing, would just worry about Bouk being in the city of Miami as is.
Are you crazy? Bouknight in Miami? Heat culture is because they don’t bring in guys who are going to be obsessed with Miami.

That’s the worst place for a young kid. San Antonio won’t put up wit him. He has to prove he can be a professional.

He has not proven that yet. 2 1/2 years later and no one knows if he has what it takes to play at this level. Talent? Yes. Drive and maturity and professionalism. He is going to have to show it. Hopefully a team picks him up at end of season and tries to catch lightning in a bottle.

Reaction Score
That wasn’t a “class that could’a been.” Bouknight was outstanding here and helped us grow from the awful team Hurley inherited to where we are now. Just like Drummond having a long NBA career doesn’t change the fact that he accomplished little while here, Bouk flaming out in the NBA doesn’t change the fact that he had a large part in pushing our rock up the mountain.
Bouknight had a big impact on the program (i.e. showing other top recruits that Hurley's UConn is a destination where they can showcase their talent), but it's a fair point that we didn't actually do that much winning while he was here.

Reaction Score
I tend to reserve judgements - this stuff happens. He may have all kinds of issues going on on that no one here is aware. It’s is a tough world out there. He is a forever Husky and was never going to be the next LeBron. I hope he can grind out whatever might be holding him back and or find a place that he can be happy - make some more money (hope has already has good $ advisors), enough where he doesn’t have to worry about money for awhile.

Reaction Score
Bouknight had a big impact on the program (i.e. showing other top recruits that Hurley's UConn is a destination where they can showcase their talent), but it's a fair point that we didn't actually do that much winning while he was here.
In the season prior to his arrival, we won 48% of our games. In the two season he was here, we won 63% of our games, and that was with one season being COVID affected.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I keep thinking back to James full body cramp during the Creighton game. That was a good indication that he wasn't taking care of his body. Athletes at his level don't experience full body cramps

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Are you crazy? Bouknight in Miami? Heat culture is because they don’t bring in guys who are going to be obsessed with Miami.

That’s the worst place for a young kid. San Antonio won’t put up wit him. He has to prove he can be a professional.

He has not proven that yet. 2 1/2 years later and no one knows if he has what it takes to play at this level. Talent? Yes. Drive and maturity and professionalism. He is going to have to show it. Hopefully a team picks him up at end of season and tries to catch lightning in a bottle.
It’s definitely a risk. But one thing that was absolutely terrible about Charlotte was the fact that he had no real vets. Don’t know if Miami or San Antonio could change that.
Edit: San Antonio doesn’t have any now that I think about it. Just Pop.

If Haslem was still there I’d probably feel better about it. I think Caron may be down there too? Those two could be vital mentors, especially with Caron as a UConn alum and his own story.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
In the season prior to his arrival, we won 48% of our games. In the two season he was here, we won 63% of our games, and that was with one season being COVID affected.
We may have had like 2 regular season losses when he was healthy his sophomore year. He may have had his issues but he was for sure a beast on the court that we were really good with without much help around him.

Reaction Score
If he is fortunate enough to have $2M, invest that with $7.5%, and that's $150k a year without touching principle principal.
That's a nice cushion along with any other income he may earn.
Unfortunately I don't have a good feeling he has that much squirreled away.

Let me know where he is going to get 7.5% risk-free return every year.

If 7.5% is your long-term target, then you will definitely have some periods where you lose some principal.

Also--even if that fantasy is somehow realized--$150k / yr pre-tax is not going to be enough.

I think Mr. Bouknight is going to have to keep earning.

Reaction Score
Can someone help me make sense of this “gem” from the Courant?

“Police said Bouknight refused to comply with commands once he was awake, and appeared confused for several minutes. He then ate food and crashed into two police cars, according to the police report. A breathalyzer test reportedly confirmed his blood-alcohol content was above the legal limit.”

So he was found in his car, passed out and apparently intoxicated, and…the police provided food? And then let him (attempt to) drive away?

Reaction Score
Let me know where he is going to get 7.5% risk-free return every year.

If 7.5% is your long-term target, then you will definitely have some periods where you lose some principal.

Also--even if that fantasy is somehow realized--$150k / yr pre-tax is not going to be enough.

I think Mr. Bouknight is going to have to keep earning.
How is 150k pretax not enough income?

Reaction Score
He had his chances and didn’t perform. At this point just have to hope that someone takes a chance on picking up a young guard that had lottery talent a few years ago. Then he’d have his final chance to stick in the league

As always I wish him the best and would love to see him play well and have a long NBA career
He played well..his issues were growing up and becoming an adult and a professional. He just never got that!! He can play!!!

Reaction Score
It’s definitely a risk. But one thing that was absolutely terrible about Charlotte was the fact that he had no real vets. Don’t know if Miami or San Antonio could change that.

If Haslem was still there I’d probably feel better about it. I think Caron may be down there too? Those two could be vital mentors, especially with Caron as a UConn alum and his own story.
He was a really good player at UConn but he was very lucky he had a career at UConn. Had the woman not changed he story, I suspect he was gone. And people need to stop blaming being drafted by Charlotte as his problem. His problem was not in his stars but in himself to paraphrase the Bard. He wasn’t mature, didn’t want to work and was a jerk to be kind. Those are not things that make you a fixture in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Disagree. We did a lot of winning in the two years he was here compared to the two years before he got here.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Why i don’t do cartwheels when kids leave early for the NBA. UConn is my interest.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He was a really good player at UConn but he was very lucky he had a career at UConn. Had the woman not changed he story, I suspect he was gone. And people need to stop blaming being drafted by Charlotte as his problem. His problem was not in his stars but in himself to paraphrase the Bard. He wasn’t mature, didn’t want to work and was a jerk to be kind. Those are not things that make you a fixture in the NBA.
All things are true, but the right mentor for someone could be life changing. After bringing up Caron I’m really falling in love with the idea of hoping those two get together and seeing what happens. Could not think of someone with a better story to get through to Bouk more.

Reaction Score

I mean, that’s just not true. Harrell, Hayward, Cody Martin, Rozier, Ish Smith we’re all on that team, a team that won 43 games that year. Plenty of solid vets he could’ve been around and he decided not to. The dumbest thing the Hornets did was firing Borrego, guy could coach. Borrego made Kemba into a 3rd team all NBA player and a got him a max deal. Bouk issues were all on him. Charlotte Hornets stink (and I say this as someone who actually roots for them and knows people on that staff), but you can’t really blame them for what happened to him. I’ll always pull for the guy, but he’s gotta own it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Disagree. We did a lot of winning in the two years he was here compared to the two years before he got here.
He absolutely won games for us. His bombing out in the NBA doesn't change what he did here. He was our best player when he was on the court. Turns out that 40-point game was the worst thing that ever happen to him. My unsolicited advice is for him get away from current team and do some soul-searching. Woodshedding in the parlance of jazz.

Reaction Score

You do know there are drugs and alcohol in every city.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom