James Bouknight Released | Page 6 | The Boneyard

James Bouknight Released

Reaction Score
This thread is weird man, with a bit of revisionist history going on.

Bouk was a good player for us and I’m still rooting for the guy. Him leaving was also the right decision.

He’s clearly his own biggest enemy, but being drafted to a terrible franchise like Charlotte, certainly did not help.

Really hope a change of scenery is what he needs.

Reaction Score
And a bigger no so subtle insult to Bouknight's willingness to live like a professional.
Hurley said an organization needs to babysit a person who has been in NBA for 3 years.
Hurley had a conversation with Bouknight said to be a difficult conversation you think Hurley didn’t give him any tough love?

Should Hurley reveal to the media everything that was said word by word. How do you think it would look if Hurley said Bouknight screwed up, which could then blow up into a bigger story which we don’t need nearing March and wouldn’t be good for recruiting either.

Coaches tend to be homers to the press on ex players.

Reaction Score
We need to keep putting guys in the NBA to convince the next UConn greats to come here.

If guys like Bouknight stay 4 years instead of going pro, eventually you stop getting Hawkinses, Castles, etc.
No. We need to keep winning. It doesn’t matter whether we get guys into the NBA. We need to get players who fit Hurley’s system. Whether they go to the NBA or the Hartford or UConn law school after they finish playing.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
He didn’t know where he was. Total blackout
Yes, because he was drunk. He was in a car, and too drunk to know how he got there, with a gun on his lap. He’s extremely lucky he didn’t crash into anyone on his way to that parking lot. Careless people who drink and drive and put others at risk because they have no thought of the dire consequences that their actions may have are the worst of the worst.

Reaction Score
James is still only 23. He’ll need to get a lot stronger but he was finally shooting the ball decently. Did anyone think DiVincenzo would be playing at the level he now is playing at? He‘s 27
One is 27 with a history of success including an NCAA Championship and was MOP of the Final Four. The other is 23 with a history of off the court issues in both Storrs and Charlotte. James was blessed with incredible raw ability, but his decision making, focus and professionalism has been terrible. I'd be shocked if his life looks anything like Divencenzo's at age 27. I believe it's far more likely James will be playing ball in another country, where his raw ability alone makes him an asset to some team.

Reaction Score
Chief prays that James turns it around. I agree with Danny’s approach and James needs structure and tough love. Of course, I wish I had been wrong and all the red flags I identified early on did not play out.
But, we are where we are at and the first things James needs to do is to say good bye to his posse, until that happens nothing will change. These dudes are going to hang on to what they view as the good life - so it won’t be easy. Then he needs to abstain from anything addicting and focus on basketball and self improvement.

Reaction Score
Couple things. He is responsible for his choices first and foremost. He is only 23. And with all the speculation apparently Coach DH has already been in touch with James. Seen plenty do much worse than him. Let’s stop making things up that we have no idea if it’s true or someone’s speculation. We know he’s young needs to mature has talent and been released. We know he has made poor choices. Speculation here. He was probably destined for this fate when they didn’t extend him before the season started. Speculation again. I doubt he won’t get at least one more chance with the league considering his talent.

Reaction Score
Are you crazy? Bouknight in Miami? Heat culture is because they don’t bring in guys who are going to be obsessed with Miami.

That’s the worst place for a young kid. San Antonio won’t put up wit him. He has to prove he can be a professional.

He has not proven that yet. 2 1/2 years later and no one knows if he has what it takes to play at this level. Talent? Yes. Drive and maturity and professionalism. He is going to have to show it. Hopefully a team picks him up at end of season and tries to catch lightning in a bottle.
He also needs to get stronger and built up his endurance and that starts with doing things the right way off the court. CV was the one player who had some positive influence over James. But, that was partial and not long lasting.

Reaction Score
Couple things. He is responsible for his choices first and foremost. He is only 23. And with all the speculation apparently Coach DH has already been in touch with James. Seen plenty do much worse than him. Let’s stop making things up that we have no idea if it’s true or someone’s speculation. We know he’s young needs to mature has talent and been released. We know he has made poor choices. Speculation here. He was probably destined for this fate when they didn’t extend him before the season started. Speculation again. I doubt he won’t get at least one more chance with the league considering his talent.
Nothing I said was speculation nor was it a few years ago.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Let me know where he is going to get 7.5% risk-free return every year.

If 7.5% is your long-term target, then you will definitely have some periods where you lose some principal.

Also--even if that fantasy is somehow realized--$150k / yr pre-tax is not going to be enough.

I think Mr. Bouknight is going to have to keep earning.

That's why I said it's a nice cushion along with other income he can earn.
But you conveniently didn't bring that up

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hurley had a conversation with Bouknight said to be a difficult conversation you think Hurley didn’t give him any tough love?

Should Hurley reveal to the media everything that was said word by word. How do you think it would look if Hurley said Bouknight screwed up, which could then blow up into a bigger story which we don’t need nearing March and wouldn’t be good for recruiting either.

Coaches tend to be homers to the press on ex players.

I would hope Hurley was brutally honest, and no, I wouldn't expect him to divulge the conversation to the press.
Hurley did say on the record an organization needs to provide him structure and be completely on his ass from Day 1.

And I hope Bouk does figure it out and makes the best of his life going forward. Him failing to "get it" isn't some sort of zero sum game where his loss is my gain.
I'll finish by saying I was 26 or 27 before I finally "got it" and started getting my life on a good track.

Reaction Score
Less than three years after being selected as an NBA Draft lottery pick by Charlotte, Bouknight had been waived by the Hornets earlier in the day. So Hurley and Young picked up the phone to get in touch with the former UConn men's basketball star.

"He knows he's going to get another opportunity in NBA, but he's going to have to handle things off the court in a much different manner," Hurley said on Friday. "He's got to get to an organization with a coach that's going to coach him and is highly accountable in terms of behavior and culture. He needs that to kind of get back on track for the foreseeable future."

Alternate access:

UConn men's basketball's Dan Hurley says James Bouknight needs 'structured' NBA team after ex-Husky cut

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That ain’t happening. Why should they babysit a guy like him when there are other players who can come in and play?

That's kinda the point. Either be eyes wide open and accept the role the organization has to take on, or look at other players.

I suspect few NBA teams want that headache. But he only needs one.

Reaction Score
Charlotte is a diaper fire of an organization. So many talented players have their careers ruined by getting drafted by the hornets. Hopefully he gets a chance at playing for a real NBA team where they can help him develop.

Everyone alway wants to go pro ASAP, but I think many college coaches care more about their players than some pro franchises. All NBA teams are different, but if you get drafted by a team,like the Hornets you will have to do it all on your own. Even their team physicians seem inferior.. When a player has an injury there, the player tends to miss more time than typical, and recover worse than players with similar injuries on other team. e.g. Lamelo Ball.

Anyway, long rant, but so done with how the Hornets suck and ruin player after player.

Reaction Score
That ain’t happening. Why should they babysit a guy like him when there are other players who can come in and play?
If a team can try him out on a team friendly contract, probably with a team option, I suspect it will happen. if it works they get a cap friendly contract on a lottery pick. If not, not a big deal for them.

Reaction Score
At 23 or 24, though young, that’s actually an age where James is expected to be a good influence for the 19 and 20 year old players on his team. Like others have said, nba teams aren’t in the business of babysitting. He may get a chance but he will have to make the changes within himself and should also seek clinical help if he isn’t already.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom