James Akinjo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

James Akinjo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like Ollie found a diamond before he exploded on the scene. Now other schools are taking notice

Now when these other schools start saying that the fanbase and media is calling for the man who recruited him’s head.. Many on the boneyard are actually helping to negatively recruit against their own team.

Slamming the head coach in a public forum that recruits and opponents watch constantly does nothing to help the
program.

It is extremely sad to see so many hope and pray for failure. I sure hope the grass is greener on the other side. If not welcome to Indiana and UCLA part II without the great conference to fall back on.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lost recruits because of the negativity on this board.

Reaction Score
So a LOI means nothing? I guess they should just go with I'll go to said school if I feel like it. :rolleyes:
I seem to recall MAL saying "no thanks" after he signed his? Of course we had to "ok" him backing out but you really think if a kid changes his mind a school is going to enforce the LOI :rolleyes:

I certainly don't want Akinjo to back out regardless of KO's status but he certainly can if he wants to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can he hit the three? Can he defend at 6-0? I hope for the best but almost every player who get a division one scholarship is a high school star.

Reaction Score
Can he hit the three? Can he defend at 6-0? I hope for the best but almost every player who get a division one scholarship is a high school star.

Well he's not 6' but then again neither were Kemba, Bazz and Boat and they seemed to work out ok. And Alterique, well still hoping. Kid doesn't look like your everyday Division 1 player though, just has the it stuff, but never know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love the post because we need every bit of quality we can get.

Reaction Score
I know I'm no judge of talent but, it seems to me, anyone who doubts Akinjo has a chance to be the next great point guard at UConn should watch the video of the Capital Christian game (link above). There's a link to another game too. If you watch him you'll be excited for the future.

One announcer said it best. Akinjo can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and it looked as if he could have dominated the game with scoring if he wanted to but instead he often directed other players as to where to be and passed up shots to get the ball to others.

Has lightning speed, handles the ball really well, finishes at the rim, made a few outside shots, played great defense, and made his free throws with no drama, but maybe best of all was his passing. He was on the money and threw several no look passes and alley oops to big men who were ready to catch and lay it in.

The announcers commented on his matchup with a very good player on Capital Christian and noted how he wasn't looking for his offense and seemed more intent on stopping the other player, and he did.

The other team played zone all game and he was able to split the zone with ease several times but did have a tendency to drive into the lane into multiple defenders and had several turnovers as a result. But that might be due to the fact he's so fast and shifty he was able to weave through several defenders in the lane on a number of occasions and score or pass to a teammate for a layup or dunk, so maybe he's confident enough to think he can do it every time. If he develops a floater and mid-range jump shot and he'll be unbelievable. Grow eight inches and add 80 pounds and he'll be LeBron.

Reaction Score
Alterique was brought in to run the team. We have not had consistency at the guard position since bazz/boat left. We also haven't had players stay and keep the program stable while knowing the system so they can progress to the following year. It's hard for Adams every year to learn everything over again because we always have new players. We have two players in Adams and Vital who played last year and are returning. It's hard for Ollie to run a successful program when this keeps happening and he had to fill voids with transfers. We had a good class this last year and next years with Wilson looks like it will be even better. Akinjo could be the start and the player we wanted Gilbert to be. Gilbert could be if he is healthy
You are saying it's hard to run a successful program with having to fill the void from transfers. Ollie is responsibe for over half of our healthy players transferring, it certainly isn't an excuse he can use for a lack of continuity.

What makes this year's class a good one?

Reaction Score
For those worrying he won't come even if Ollie stays, watch the short interview above where Akinjo talks about how Ollie is known for developing guards.

And there is the rub of it - most of us would agree that what we have witnessed over the last 1 1/3 seasons in particular is depressing and not up to the standards that our program should be aspiring to. With that having been said, those of you who want Ollie gone and want to give him only a sliver (if any) of credit for the 2014 National Championship, you do remember what KO was able to do with a guard who had a killer attitude, leadership ability (that by his own admission Ollie helped to grow) and skills back then. So, why not give Ollie the chance to prove with this young man leading his team that he can once again bring us back to winning... and if we do not see improvement with Akinjo as the leader of our team, then you will have plenty of time and support to push Ollie out the door.

Because from everything we are seeing and hearing, young Mr. Akinjo could be the game changer we have not had since Shabazz (sorry, but as talented as Jalen Adams is, he has yet to show the maturity, consistent decision-making skills and dedication needed to successfully lead himself, let alone his teammates. And unfortunately his inconsistency shows in the way we play every game).

One last thing - anyone on this board who thinks Akinjo and Matthews Jr. are still coming here if both Ollie and Chillious are fired at the end of this year is crazy... or just utterly full of crap. Common sense and experience shows us they would probably be gone. We all need to include that in our thinking here.

Bottom line: I believe we are better off giving Ollie that opportunity to see what he and Akinjo can create together rather than the alternative: an alternative that will look a lot like last year and this one for the next few years, at least.

Reaction Score
I know I'm no judge of talent but, it seems to me, anyone who doubts Akinjo has a chance to be the next great point guard at UConn should watch the video of the Capital Christian game (link above). There's a link to another game too. If you watch him you'll be excited for the future.

One announcer said it best. Akinjo can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and it looked as if he could have dominated the game with scoring if he wanted to but instead he often directed other players as to where to be and passed up shots to get the ball to others.

Has lightning speed, handles the ball really well, finishes at the rim, made a few outside shots, played great defense, and made his free throws with no drama, but maybe best of all was his passing. He was on the money and threw several no look passes and alley oops to big men who were ready to catch and lay it in.

The announcers commented on his matchup with a very good player on Capital Christian and noted how he wasn't looking for his offense and seemed more intent on stopping the other player, and he did.

The other team played zone all game and he was able to split the zone with ease several times but did have a tendency to drive into the lane into multiple defenders and had several turnovers as a result. But that might be due to the fact he's so fast and shifty he was able to weave through several defenders in the lane on a number of occasions and score or pass to a teammate for a layup or dunk, so maybe he's confident enough to think he can do it every time. If he develops a floater and mid-range jump shot and he'll be unbelievable. Grow eight inches and add 80 pounds and he'll be LeBron.

Ollie was on this kid and got a commitment while he was still off the Radar..

Yet so many people say KO can not evaluate talent!!!!!!! Now he is blowing up and looks like the real deal.

I pray for they stay tight with him while others try to swipe him from us...

Reaction Score
And there is the rub of it - most of us would agree that what we have witnessed over the last 1 1/3 seasons in particular is depressing and not up to the standards that our program should be aspiring to. With that having been said, those of you who want Ollie gone and want to give him only a sliver (if any) of credit for the 2014 National Championship, you do remember what KO was able to do with a guard who had a killer attitude, leadership ability (that by his own admission Ollie helped to grow) and skills back then. So, why not give Ollie the chance to prove with this young man leading his team that he can once again bring us back to winning... and if we do not see improvement with Akinjo as the leader of our team, then you will have plenty of time and support to push Ollie out the door.

Because from everything we are seeing and hearing, young Mr. Akinjo could be the game changer we have not had since Shabazz (sorry, but as talented as Jalen Adams is, he has yet to show the maturity, consistent decision-making skills and dedication needed to successfully lead himself, let alone his teammates. And unfortunately his inconsistency shows in the way we play every game).

One last thing - anyone on this board who thinks Akinjo and Matthews Jr. are still coming here if both Ollie and Chillious are fired at the end of this year is crazy... or just utterly full of crap. Common sense and experience shows us they would probably be gone. We all need to include that in our thinking here.

Bottom line: I believe we are better off giving Ollie that opportunity to see what he and Akinjo can create together rather than the alternative: an alternative that will look a lot like last year and this one for the next few years, at least.

Akinjo and Matthews are very good players. They're not generational talents making or breaking a program. They are good players, and matthews has a bit of NBA potential if he keeps working hard due to his size.

Ya'll are the same guys complaining about 'rique. "6 foot" (5'9) guards have a tough time adjusting to the college game. In his few games, alterique certainly did. And he's on another level than akinjo.

Reaction Score
Akinjo and Matthews are very good players. They're not generational talents making or breaking a program. They are good players, and matthews has a bit of NBA potential if he keeps working hard due to his size.

Ya'll are the same guys complaining about 'rique. "6 foot" (5'9) guards have a tough time adjusting to the college game. In his few games, alterique certainly did. And he's on another level than akinjo.

Ummm... no. I have never complained about Alterique's size. Not once.

Another moron on here who falsely attributes a complaint to me that never happened. Totally invalidates your criticism and sinks whatever credibility you think you had right along with it.

In truth, I loved getting Alterique Gilbert from the moment he announced his commitment on July 4th almost 2 1/2 years ago, and I honestly believe at full health he would have given us a chance at a successful season... and maybe even a berth in the tournament. Which has probably now gone out the window, sadly. Unless he has a Christmas miracle happen during the next several weeks and heals enough to play productively for the rest of the season. Furthermore, I agree with those posters who point to Alterique getting hurt at some point in the 2nd half of the Michigan State game as the turning point (negatively) to our entire season.

Kemba, Shabazz and Boat all proved that smaller guards with moxie are more than adequate at bringing us championships. Just because the recruiting services have him ranked between #75 and #115 do not sell this young man short. He won the MVP at arguably the best AAU tournament of the summer, the Peach Jam. And now has followed up with another MVP in another tournament. That shows me way more than rankings by these recruiting services.

Unfortunately for Alterique, our program and all of us fans we will probably never get to see what he could have matured into at full health.

Reaction Score

Bingo

pj

Reaction Score
Being the dominant player on a team that beats the #6 team in California by 19 and the #8 team in California by 26 is impressive, no matter how you slice it. So is MVP of the Peach Jam. He's a star in the making.

Reaction Score

The difference is this kid can shoot and Gilbert was never known for his shooting but his ability to get anywhere on the floor. Most guards regardless of size have a tough time adjusting their first few games of college. MAL has struggled as well. Kemba, Ricky, Bazz and Boat all had thier struggles their freshman years and they all figured it out. AG was starting to.

Akinjo will struggle at times his freshman year but if his jumpshot is on then he will be fine. Waters is doing great cause kid can shoot which opens up the lane. Boat and Kemba two small, fast dribble drive guards got much better once they worked on their jumpshot. I believe Akinjo's jumper is better than theirs was when they were freshman. Kid is a baller and will rise again in the rankings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer