Jamelle Elliott out at Cincinnati | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jamelle Elliott out at Cincinnati

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
What? Doesn't sound like him? You clearly don't know his history on twitter. Yes, it's him. Every now and again he engages with the dopes who tweet at him. Usually the back-and-forth is with neanderthals who ask him why he doesn't coach men. In this case he's defending Jamelle whom he adores.

You never know how these coaches will respond or whether they'll respond. Muffet McGraw actually blocked me after what I thought was a rather innocuous response to one of her tweets. Coaches are a funny bunch.

Badge of Honor :)

Reaction Score
Well it is possible that Shea would decide to take a year off for family time and Janelle could fill in if a better option doesn't present itself.

Uhh, sorry, have you _ever_ seen a coach at a major institution take a season off after childbirth?
I have not.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Well it is possible that Shea would decide to take a year off for family time and Janelle could fill in if a better option doesn't present itself.

Uhh, sorry, have you _ever_ seen a coach at a major institution take a season off after childbirth?
I have not.

Shea will coach while having the baby in a carrier strapped to her, the young ladies will help when she needs it, and UConn will go and win their Lucky 13th National Title next year.

Reaction Score
Of course he feels pressure. His team is the ridiculous favorite and the memory of last year's failure must be lurking close to the surface.
Maybe so but THIS YEAR no one can surprise UCONN Top teams are weak

Miss St is struggling and peaked
SC is a shell of last year
L’ville still fears UConn and would be destroyed by more than 11
ND doesn’t but is short handed
UCLA should play Onyenwere instead of Drummond or Hayes
Baylor full of themselves and lacks chemistry
Oregon is the dark horse but a year away
Stanford not a chance

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just found it hard to believe he'd tweet something like this:

It seems in line with what I vaguely remember about his last foray into Tweeting. Like certain other notables in positions of leadership lately, Geno has very little filter on Twitter.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, I have to disagree. First, Geno does not have to go easy on any coach. This is college basketball. This is not little league or middle school. We are talking about young women, not young children. No one would ever suggest that a coach of a men's college basketball team go easy on an opponent because of an associational relationship between the head coaches.

Second, it is not Geno's job to to go easy on an overmatched opponent. It is incumbent on the opposing coach to prepare his/her team better.

No one is saying that Jamelle Elliott, Joanne P. McCallie, or any other coach who has been on the wrong end of a beatdown by UConn is not trying. But what I am saying is that they need to try harder, work harder, and do what is necessary to improve Xs and Os, to be competitive with UConn, and to develop there players, both individually and collectively as a team.

Please note that I am saying this as a Duke alum whose WBB team has a realistic shot of being absolutely decimated by UConn in the Sweet 16.
no problem with your disagreeing. I would like to see Duke continue playing well but they have no chance and will get killed by UConn. Like you said or implied, everyone does. Lexie Brown is not the type of player who can create consistently off broken plays and that helps for a while against UConn. Brown is overrated. Too be fair, so is Asia Durr who gets more ink than Brown who has much better overall stats and does more consistently than Durr. Duke has some nice pieces. Odom is a nice player with tons of potential and the tall freshman Williams should be good. Haley Gorecki is such a good player and my favorite . Shame she went down and Lambert and Boykin earlier. It really stinks because the ACC needs good teams and Duke injury free could have been special this year. Hope Greenwell can have a good game for you. Your team deserves a lot of credit for losing so many players and playing their best at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I doubt getting squashed by UConn--a yearly occurrence--had anything to do with her being let go/fired.
While this is strictly a guess, firings are often based 50% on record, 50% based on relationships with Athletic Director, boosters, and university management/board. Suspect her focus was on basketball and she didn't give enough attention to the "soft" aspects of coaching. Predict she will get another D1 job and do much better with this unfortunate additional experience.

Reaction Score
While this is strictly a guess, firings are often based 50% on record, 50% based on relationships with Athletic Director, boosters, and university management/board. Suspect her focus was on basketball and she didn't give enough attention to the "soft" aspects of coaching. Predict she will get another D1 job and do much better with this unfortunate additional experience.

Lol she was there NINE years and had 2 winning seasons. I love Jamelle but why is it so hard for folks to consider the notion that she might not be a good HC?

Reaction Score
Lol she was there NINE years and had 2 winning seasons. I love Jamelle but why is it so hard for folks to consider the notion that she might not be a good HC?
The only two winning seasons came in the AAC. A ROTTEN Conference with ROTTEN competition full of ROTTEN coaches who recruit ROTTEN talent that want better jobs elsewhere.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The only two winning seasons came in the AAC. A ROTTEN Conference with ROTTEN competition full of ROTTEN coaches who recruit ROTTEN talent that want better jobs elsewhere.
Rotten coaches??? Geno, Jose F, Coach Abe of UCF, Tonya Cardoza. Keep on tr........

Reaction Score
Rotten coaches??? Geno, Jose F, Coach Abe of UCF, Tonya Cardoza. Keep on tr...
Ha! Thanks for the laugh. How bout the rest ? Can you reach that far down? The AAC stinks. Lousy recruiting and lousy coaching jobs
I do like Cardoza who lost Butts which killed Temple. Temple was a nice team last year. Jose won’t get any higher than he did with Courtney Williams and he can’t recruit defense.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Ha! Thanks for the laugh. How bout the rest ? Can you reach that far down? The AAC stinks. Lousy recruiting and lousy coaching jobs
I do like Cardoza who lost Butts which killed Temple. Temple was a nice team last year.
I was citing the names of coaches that many people do not consider to be ROTTEN. Whatever. Bye.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I was citing the names of coaches that many people do not consider to be ROTTEN. Whatever. Bye.
You are correct. The problem with the American is not, for the most part, the coaches. Lisa Stockton is also a good coach and others may be.

OTH, the argument that the conference is terrible (in WBB) is true and probably isn't going to get much better. Some years the American will perform better than others, but I really think it is a financial issue. And whatever money there is, except at UConn, isn't getting spent lavishly on WBB.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You are correct. The problem with the American is not, for the most part, the coaches. Lisa Stockton is also a good coach and others may be.

OTH, the argument that the conference is terrible (in WBB) is true and probably isn't going to get much better. Some years the American will perform better than others, but I really think it is a financial issue. And whatever money there is, except at UConn, isn't getting spent lavishly on WBB.

For example..ECU is spending 60 million to renovate their football stadium .... all money being raised by donors..... expanded the stadium a few years ago..... they dont care much about MBB or WCBB out there.

Centerstream

Reaction Score

Most conferences are terrible in WBB. The Power5 conferences for the MOST part have 3, maybe 4, quality teams that beat up on all other of the teams and maybe during the course of the season 1 of the lower quality teams will pull off an upset. That doesn't seem to happen in the AAC, though. Most of the media ignores the Power5 lesser teams and just build up the top teams. For example, in the Big12, who is considered the quality teams? Baylor and Texas? Now because they are the Power5 conferences, they have 1/2 to 3/4 of their mediocre teams selected to the NCAA tournament, no matter how good they are.

Reaction Score
Most conferences are terrible in WBB. The Power5 conferences for the MOST part have 3, maybe 4, quality teams that beat up on all other of the teams and maybe during the course of the season 1 of the lower quality teams will pull off an upset. That doesn't seem to happen in the AAC, though. Most of the media ignores the Power5 lesser teams and just build up the top teams. For example, in the Big12, who is considered the quality teams? Baylor and Texas? Now because they are the Power5 conferences, they have 1/2 to 3/4 of their mediocre teams selected to the NCAA tournament, no matter how good they are.

Middle of the pack P5 teams would challenge for 2nd or 3rd in the AAC.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Middle of the pack P5 teams would challenge for 2nd or 3rd in the AAC.
And yet the 3rd place team in the AAC is not even considered for the Tournament but the middle of the pack and lower teams of the ACC, SEC and B1G 10 are. Thus top HS players are going to look at these conferences.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

I was just reading about this and was wondering why Heard would leave her alma mater for this position, but it seems that she spent time at Cincy as an assistant and one could guess she's being offered a better salary and a chance to compete in a much more visible league. Now will she get the support beyond day one?

BTW, her associate head coach at WKU, Greg Collins, was just promoted to the head slot at WKU.
Source: Greg Collins to be named WKU women's basketball coach

Having just read this article, it looks like Ms. Heard decided to get out of Dodge (Western Kentucky), in part because of a budget cut that directly affected the basketball program: the director of operations position was cut, which is a huge part of a functioning D1 program. Plus, she just doubled her salary from $200, to $400k at Cincy. Good luck to both, for differing reasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the nature of the coaching profession. Doesn't make it right though. Jamelle did well for the Lady Bearcats. Sad that coaches don't get a longer window to accomplish much anymore. But that is the nature of the business. I wish Jamelle the best. Great coach, player, and UConn family member.

Reaction Score
I hope next year Geno uses all his starters playing solid 40 mins with Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
This is the nature of the coaching profession. Doesn't make it right though. Jamelle did well for the Lady Bearcats. Sad that coaches don't get a longer window to accomplish much anymore. But that is the nature of the business. I wish Jamelle the best. Great coach, player, and UConn family member.
A longer window than 9 years?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom