Jamelle Elliott out at Cincinnati | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jamelle Elliott out at Cincinnati

Reaction Score
Jamelle Elliot is my all time favorite Husky. I've always said that if I had been a basketball player I would have tried to play the way she did. I'm sorry things didn't work out for her at Cincinnati and I wish the best for her no matter what direction life takes her.

Reaction Score
This tweet, from the Boneyard's own @Fishy, seems on point:

This won’t be popular to say but that 21 point effort Cinn made verse UConn didn’t help. It did several things:
1. Raised awareness of Cinn program
2. as a laughingstock
3. Made curiosity seekers like me want to pay attention to how bad they’d get squashed in the NIT.
4. Put another terrible feather in the cap of the AAC when a team scores 21 points no matter who the competition is. Terrible perception.

Counter point. Cinn lost in first round NIT to Mich State 71-65. Mich State though not a good team is not awful.

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Do we know for sure if that Twitter account is really Geno's? There is a lot of verbiage on there that makes me question it. If it is, he got into a bit of personal spat with someone about Elliot earlier. Just didn't seem like him.
I agree. It doesn't seem that is Geno's twitter account.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Do we know for sure if that Twitter account is really Geno's? There is a lot of verbiage on there that makes me question it. If it is, he got into a bit of personal spat with someone about Elliot earlier. Just didn't seem like him.

What? Doesn't sound like him? You clearly don't know his history on twitter. Yes, it's him. Every now and again he engages with the dopes who tweet at him. Usually the back-and-forth is with neanderthals who ask him why he doesn't coach men. In this case he's defending Jamelle whom he adores.

You never know how these coaches will respond or whether they'll respond. Muffet McGraw actually blocked me after what I thought was a rather innocuous response to one of her tweets. Coaches are a funny bunch.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What? Doesn't sound like him? You clearly don't know his history on twitter. Yes, it's him. Every now and again he engages with the dopes who tweet at him. Usually the back-and-forth is with neanderthals who ask him why he doesn't coach men. In this case he's defending Jamelle whom he adores.

I just found it hard to believe he'd tweet something like this:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You never know how these coaches will respond or whether they'll respond. Muffet McGraw actually blocked me after what I thought was a rather innocuous response to one of her tweets. Coaches are a funny bunch.
If Brianna Turner wasn’t playing that year, that may have been Notre Dame’s only block of the season. ;)

Reaction Score
Geno tweets "Her contract isn't up idiot." I checked that statement and it seems that Jamelle's contract was extended in 2012 by Cincinnati through the 2017-2018 season, which according to my calendar has indeed passed. He also states that she "took the worst job in the league," a decision that I suspect she ran by Geno for his advice. Perhaps he feels guilty for that.

I'm beginning to think perhaps the pressure of coaching this team this year is beginning to get to him. His post game presser for St. Francis was strange and now this tweet. I mean if he doesn't win it all with at least 6 all-Americans on the team then how good a coach could he be.

N.B. My last sentence was somewhat tongue in cheek.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I once tweeted Walz after he stood up for Mariya Moore getting a flagrant after decking a BYU girl with a shoulder shiver in a tourney game in 2015. Walz said won’t happen again she is only a freshman. She got another flagrant the next game on a wack to someone’s face with her flailing arms battling for the a rebound. She was a tough dirty player in those two incidents. After that no more problems.
What's this got to do with Jamelle Elliott being let go by Cincinnati?

Did you reply to the wrong thread?

Reaction Score
Geno tweets "Her contract isn't up idiot." I checked that statement and it seems that Jamelle's contract was extended in 2012 by Cincinnati through the 2017-2018 season, which according to my calendar has indeed passed. He also states that she "took the worst job in the league," a decision that I suspect she ran by Geno for his advice. Perhaps he feels guilty for that.

I'm beginning to think perhaps the pressure of coaching this team this year is beginning to get to him. His post game presser for St. Francis was strange and now this tweet. I mean if he doesn't win it all with at least 6 all-Americans on the team then how good a coach could he be.

He unintentionally embarrassed her in the AAC tourney. Scoring 21 points is humiliating. That’s the downside of being in UConns league. Come without the horses and anything can happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What's this got to do with Jamelle Elliott being let go by Cincinnati?

Did you reply to the wrong thread?
Yes I did. Thanks this was intended to be a reply to a poster who said he was blocked by Muffet McGraw after an innocuous tweet he sent her way. Sorry !

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
He unintentionally embarrassed her in the AAC tourney. Scoring 21 points is humiliating.

I doubt getting squashed by UConn--a yearly occurrence--had anything to do with her being let go/fired.

Reaction Score
I doubt getting squashed by UConn--a yearly occurrence--had anything to do with her being let go/fired.
Getting squashed is one thing. Scoring 21 points screams humiliation. Geno should go easier on coaches he has associations with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

He feels no pressure. He has it in the bag. He is such a good coach and takes nothing for granted. No team can touch them. Oregon is peaking but I do t think they can do it. He feels emotional for the Cinn coach that’s why the weird tweet

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That Rebecca Lobo, she summed that up.... I have a feeling she'll land in a good spot.

Remember the song from the musical Evita.........."Don't cry for me Argentina". The Cincy gig was a stepping stone for her. She will be fine. It's time to turn the page, and move on to the next chapter in her life. When one door closes, another one opens. The next job she gets (and she will get another HC job) will be better than Cincy!!! Jamelle will land on her feet. The winning record she finished the year with will help.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Getting squashed is one thing. Scoring 21 points screams humiliation.

In several of their recent losses to UConn they only scored in the 30's. Not that much difference.

Reaction Score
That winning record didn’t come easy either. What a hard gig. From reading this post she sounds like a great person.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In several of their recent losses to UConn they only scored in the 30's. Not that much difference.
Good point. Something about 21 points is just brutal though. It’s not totally uncommon to see mid to high 30’s. Boneyard is used to these low scores from opponents so the shock value is gone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The next job she gets (and she will get another HC job) will be better than Cincy!!! Jamelle will land on her feet.

I doubt that.
Jamelle even said herself at one point that she wasn't sure if she was cut out for head coaching. Hey, how about being an assistant in her hometown at a little school called GW?

Reaction Score
The next job she gets (and she will get another HC job) will be better than Cincy!!!

If her next job is a HC job, then it will be at a much lower level than Cinci. Very likely, however, that she takes an assistant's job somewhere.

Reaction Score
He feels no pressure. He has it in the bag. He is such a good coach and takes nothing for granted. No team can touch them.

Of course he feels pressure. His team is the ridiculous favorite and the memory of last year's failure must be lurking close to the surface.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Getting squashed is one thing. Scoring 21 points screams humiliation. Geno should go easier on coaches he has associations with.

With all due respect, I have to disagree. First, Geno does not have to go easy on any coach. This is college basketball. This is not little league or middle school. We are talking about young women, not young children. No one would ever suggest that a coach of a men's college basketball team go easy on an opponent because of an associational relationship between the head coaches.

Second, it is not Geno's job to to go easy on an overmatched opponent. It is incumbent on the opposing coach to prepare his/her team better.

No one is saying that Jamelle Elliott, Joanne P. McCallie, or any other coach who has been on the wrong end of a beatdown by UConn is not trying. But what I am saying is that they need to try harder, work harder, and do what is necessary to improve Xs and Os, to be competitive with UConn, and to develop there players, both individually and collectively as a team.

Please note that I am saying this as a Duke alum whose WBB team has a realistic shot of being absolutely decimated by UConn in the Sweet 16.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I doubt that.
Jamelle even said herself at one point that she wasn't sure if she was cut out for head coaching. Hey, how about being an assistant in her hometown at a little school called GW?
How's this for a scenario? Marissa to Tenn to replace Holly. Jamelle rejoins the UConn family and replaces Marissa. I'm guessing some of the Vol fan badmouthing is due to their fear and respect for UConn's coaching prowess and they secretly long to have their team shaped-up by someone from the Husky coaching tree, but the bitter rivalry games have probably soured Tenn for hiring a former UConn player. Marissa never played against the Lady Vols so she doesn't have the baggage. Everybody wins!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
How's this for a scenario? Marissa to Tenn to replace Holly. Jamelle rejoins the UConn family and replaces Marissa. I'm guessing some of the Vol fan badmouthing is due to their fear and respect for UConn's coaching prowess and they secretly long to have their team shaped-up by someone from the Husky coaching tree, but the bitter rivalry games have probably soured Tenn for hiring a former UConn player. Marissa never played against the Lady Vols so she doesn't have the baggage. Everybody wins!

Geno would never invite Marissa over for an Italian dinner again.

Reaction Score
Well it is possible that Shea would decide to take a year off for family time and Janelle could fill in if a better option doesn't present itself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom