Jamelle Elliott out at Cincinnati | The Boneyard

Jamelle Elliott out at Cincinnati

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Sad for UConn fans, who have followed the former UConn star (and, by my count, one of only four players in UConn history to have both more than 1,000 career points and 1,000 career rebounds -- though I have not checked the numbers for Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier, etc. to see where they stand on the list) in her nine years at the helm of Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
A bit surprising to me. She finished 4th in the conference this year with a winning
record and was perhaps poised to finally turn the program around. I would have
thought they might wait until she regressed ( if she regressed) to fire her.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Are we sure that it is a firing and not a voluntary departure? I believe that this season was the best in her tenure, at least in terms of wins and losses.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
A bit surprising to me. She finished 4th in the conference this year with a winning
record and was perhaps poised to finally turn the program around. I would have
thought they might wait until she regressed ( if she regressed) to fire her.

Are we sure that it is a firing and not a voluntary departure? I believe that this season was the best in her tenure, at least in terms of wins and losses.

1) Back in 2012, Jemelle Elliott signed a contract extension to remain at the helm of Cincinnati's program through 2017-2018. It was a three-year extension of her previous deal, for a total of six years (again, though this season).

2) Elliott has been at Cincinnati for nine seasons - four in the Big East, five in the AAC. This year, her team went 19-12 and 10-6 in conference play, by far her best numbers (her teams had never won more than 16 games overall in the prior six seasons and had never had a winning record in conference play in the eight prior years). But her teams never made the NCAA Tournament and only made the WNIT twice. Her overall record was 113-162 (.4109) and her conference record was 46-104 (.307). And Cincinnati loses two of its top three players to graduation.

I think it was a combination of timing (the end of her contract) and the university's dissatisfaction with the direction of the program).

As an aside, one has to look around at the conference -- for example, UCF just made a coaching change, hiring Katie Abrahamson-Henderson two years ago. In two seasons, she took UCF to the WNIT and finished in the top four of the AAC, something her predecessor had not done in the previous five seasons. Given how quickly she is turning that program around, plus Jose Fernandez making USF a perennial top-two AAC finisher and NCAA Tournament participant, perhaps Cincinnati thinks a new coach could engineer a quick turnaround.

Then again, who can Cincinnati hire that has the coaching pedigree equivalent to that of Jemelle Elliott, not to mention the well-documented issue with the Bearcats' facilities?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Sad to see Jamelle go. Not surprised this happened. Her record was sub .500 overall. Not sure why she did not succeed.

Hope she lands somewhere.

Reaction Score
Sad for UConn fans, who have followed the former UConn star (and, by my count, one of only four players in UConn history to have both more than 1,000 career points and 1,000 career rebounds -- though I have not checked the numbers for Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier, etc. to see where they stand on the list) in her nine years at the helm of Cincinnati.

Very, very disappointing. Jamelle had a good past year, but I guess it wasn’t felt to be enough to retain her. Cincy is losing one classy lady and for us, an all-time Uconn favorite who’s facing some tough times. Here’s hoping someone is bright enough to recognize her talent and hire her on. She’s always been special to me—as a player, coach and person!! All the best, Jamelle!!!

Reaction Score
I think it was a combination of timing (the end of her contract) and the university's dissatisfaction with the direction of the program).
Then again, who can Cincinnati hire that has the coaching pedigree equivalent to that of Jemelle Elliott, not to mention the well-documented issue with the Bearcats' facilities?

Presumably the arena will be open again next season?

Regional schools that had a good year and might be worth poaching:
Buffalo, Dayton, IUPUI, Wright St, MiamiOH, Ball St, Robert Morris

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Presumably the arena will be open again next season?

Regional schools that had a good year and might be worth poaching:
Buffalo, Dayton, IUPUI, Wright St, MiamiOH, Ball St, Robert Morris
Not Robert Morris, I suspect. Former coach's son. Probably a lifer, but you never know.

Dayton is a new coach (she replaced Jabir). Probably needs more seasoning.

Don't know the others, certainly would be great for Cinci to get someone with prior HC experience. Especially in a tougher situation, I think it matters.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure Cincy can do better than Jamelle. I’ll be interested in seeing where she lands. Best wishes to her!!

I'm sure about 10 years no one thought South Carolina, Mississippi State, Oregon, Oregon State, etc could do better or ever be national powers in the sport.

I feel bad it didn't go better for Jamelle. But that's some pretty weak spin by Lobo. There are wins all over the place in the AAC outside of UConn and USF. Don't think moving Cincy to a high school gym one year was that devastating for their program.

But I think it's great that AD's are caring enough about women's basketball to want to hope for more from their programs. It's been great for the sport. It is undeniable we have more good top women's programs today than we did 15 years ago and that is because of the changing of the guard at the top. AD's are searching, identifying, and hiring great young coaches who are having an impact and holding accountable those not getting the job done.

Reaction Score
I’m a University of Cincinnati alumnus. The fan hate for Mick Cronin might rival what’s going on on VolNation regarding Warlick. I almost wonder if UC’s firing of Elliott is a “the boss yells at you so you go home and kick the dog” kind of thing. When the Cincinnati men lost early in the tournament - again - as a two seed, my social media feed was full of people calling for Mick’s head. So then the UC admin fires Jamelle. It’s curious to me since they never seemed to care about WBB before.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Of course it is sad when one of your former players and longtime assistant coaches gets released, but despite the Bearcats improved record this season, her tenure has not been marked by success. Just as a quick metric, I looked at the Massey rankings of Cincinnati for all the years he has data, 1997-8 (98) season to 2018 (18):

98: 50
99: 50
00: 77
01: 74
02: 29
03: 47
04: 104
05: 223
06: 77
07: 104
08: 102
09: 81
10: 111
11: 165
12: 90
13: 156
14: 112
15: 279
16: 255
17: 181
18: 109

The bolded years represent her tenure. Her first four years were the in the Big East and the rest was in the American (underlined). While her record was better this season, the Massey ranking was not quite top 100, suggesting the record may have been inflated a bit because it was a bad year for the American. With her contract ending this season, it looks like it was time for a change, as Cincinnati performed better before her arrival. I know several posters lamented the lack of support that WBB had at Cincinnati, so maybe a change in venue will do her good.

Reaction Score
I'll just wait before making any conclusions since Jamelle might just be on her way somewhere and we just don't know it yet.

Reaction Score
I am definitely surprised to hear this news. I wouldn't think after having 2 winning seasons back-to-back and a young team that shows promise they would let her go now. I've always thought she would have been let go years prior. Makes you go hmmmm.

I thought she showed a lot of energy and passion on the sidelines the past couple years. I don't think someone like Jemelle would be out of the market for long

Reaction Score

Your point is spot on but there are 7 Huskies in the 1000/1000 club....Lobo, Charles, Dolson, Moore, Stewie , Williams and ,of course, Elliott.....as others have said, she is a classy lady and will land in a good spot.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe the decision was made after the AAC Semifinal game but they waited until after their WNIT loss to announce it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I’m a University of Cincinnati alumnus. The fan hate for Mick Cronin might rival what’s going on on VolNation regarding Warlick. I almost wonder if UC’s firing of Elliott is a “the boss yells at you so you go home and kick the dog” kind of thing. When the Cincinnati men lost early in the tournament - again - as a two seed, my social media feed was full of people calling for Mick’s head. So then the UC admin fires Jamelle. It’s curious to me since they never seemed to care about WBB before.

This tweet, from the Boneyard's own @Fishy, seems on point:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom