Jamelle Elliott out at Cincinnati | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jamelle Elliott out at Cincinnati

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Cincinnati is one of multiple schools in the AAC that, oddly, have had significant success on the men's side but little or none on the women's. Their men's team was a #2 seed this year (and took a heartbreaking loss to Nevada). Wichita State has been a juggernaut on the men's side in the past 6 years or so. Houston's men's team just reached the NCAA tournament for the first time in 8 years, and also just won its first tournament game for the first time since 1984 (!) (and it took a buzzer-beater from Michigan to keep them out of the Sweet 16).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lot of talent coming out of Ohio in 2019 class (Bell, Horston, Cooke) so I'll throw out a name Kevin McGuff. It could work if he offers one of those Ohio kid's father a job on his staff.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Lot of talent coming out of Ohio in 2019 class (Bell, Horston, Cooke) so I'll throw out a name Kevin McGuff. It could work if he offers one of those Ohio kid's father a job on his staff.
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati is one of multiple schools in the AAC that, oddly, have had significant success on the men's side but little or none on the women's. Their men's team was a #2 seed this year (and took a heartbreaking loss to Nevada). Wichita State has been a juggernaut on the men's side in the past 6 years or so. Houston's men's team just reached the NCAA tournament for the first time in 8 years, and also just won its first tournament game for the first time since 1984 (!) (and it took a buzzer-beater from Michigan to keep them out of the Sweet 16).
Any one who has spent any time in Cin will understand. Vibe for women's sports very poor. Not just facilities but overall university commitment for anything other than mens basketball.

Reaction Score
I get it, if Jamelle is at the end of her current deal then the AD would have had to offer her at least 4-5 more years. He's probably looking at teams like Buffalo, Central Michigan, and Green Bay and saying, "Why can't we be like them?" Jamelle had a number of years to make it happen and it just didn't complete come together for her. Maybe another school would be a better fit; it could be a blessing in disguise.

Reaction Score
That Rebecca Lobo, she summed that up.... I have a feeling she'll land in a good spot.

Reaction Score
Very loyal of Geno and Rebecca to lend their huge credibility to career endorsements for their bud: Basically, “She had a nice year this year, had the program trending up, was a good soldier despite having her women’s program deprioritized and dumped into a high school gym, and this is the thanks she gets from Cincinnati’s incompetent, clueless athletic department. You [prospective employers] should look past what’s on the surface (her firing) and see that this is a great candidate”.

UConn family taking care of their own (take note recruits - Duke isn’t the only school who recruits you ‘for life.’)

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Geno's quotes will resonate. They will find a coach- someone will do it- but the resources and infrastructure are not in place for a a coach to truly succeed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Jamelle had a good run. Given her team's records I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did. Can't blame them for going in a new direction.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not Robert Morris, I suspect. Former coach's son. Probably a lifer, but you never know.

Dayton is a new coach (she replaced Jabir). Probably needs more seasoning.

Don't know the others, certainly would be great for Cinci to get someone with prior HC experience. Especially in a tougher situation, I think it matters.

At Dayton, Jabir didn't leave the shelves empty. In Shauna Green’s first year at the helm of the Flyers, she made Dayton women’s basketball history by guiding UD to its first ever sweep of regular season and tournament titles in the Atlantic 10 Conference. She received WBCA National Rookie Coach of the Year honors after leading the Flyers to a 22-10 record, 13-3 A-10 mark, and a berth in the NCAA Division I Tournament. This year they lost to George Washington in the Atlantic 10 Finals and lost to Marquette in the first round of the NCAA. Dayton has always supported it's WBB programs and given that they're in the Atlantic 10, think Ms. Green will stick around there for a third season.

Megan Duffy was the first-year coach at Miami of Ohio and had a huge turnaround, taking them to a 20+ win season, in which they lost to eventual champion Central Michigan, 61-58, in the Mid-American semifinals. Maybe Ohio State Coach McGuff should've dropped a dime to his former Notre Dame charge for some hints on defense. Duffy came from Michigan and has stacked up some good recruiting classes, aided on the recruiting trail by one Michaela Mabrey, another former ND guard turned coach. I think Duffy is going to be very successful and bears watching when Muffet McGraw is ready to hang 'em up.

As for Duquesne, they're 25-7 and are playing St. John's the WNIT quarterfinals tonight (they beat Miami of Ohio earlier). Dan Burt is their head coach and has done a fine job. Once again, not sure the leap from the Atlantic 10 is going to get folks jumping from the Atlantic 10. I think Burt is ready to make a leap to a P5 position at some point.

Given the situation that has been documented at Cincinnati and how Geno A/Rebecca Lobo have weighed in, I can't see any of these three head coaches leaving their respective campuses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jamelle had a good run. Given her team's records I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did. Can't blame them for going in a new direction.

Have to agree. The timing seemed a bit odd, but overall her teams had not done well.

Reaction Score
What a shame. I think she just had her best season, so it's particularly unfortunate. Jamelle was one of the Husky all-timers and a wonderful person. Wish her the best at her next stop.
It is the nature of the beast. She had 6 years to build the program, but never reached a credible level of success ( NCAA invite or NIT
invite ). And there exist coaches who take similar programs over and make them shine. It isn't easy, and the superstar coaches are few. That's why they get paid a lot, and are recruited by top programs.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
What of you think JElliott could do at the orange tragedy

Reaction Score
The Cincinnati AD is a moron. As posted above, would anyone at least semi-skilled and experienced at coaching want to take the job. Too bad for the returning players, but I would predict 20-loss seasons for years to come.

Reaction Score
I get it, if Jamelle is at the end of her current deal then the AD would have had to offer her at least 4-5 more years. He's probably looking at teams like Buffalo, Central Michigan, and Green Bay and saying, "Why can't we be like them?" Jamelle had a number of years to make it happen and it just didn't complete come together for her. Maybe another school would be a better fit; it could be a blessing in disguise.
Good analysis, it is obvious that Cincy is just a stepping stone program without any legitimacy in the AD office. Their attitude will always render them to the doormat status.

Reaction Score
Good analysis, it is obvious that Cincy is just a stepping stone program without any legitimacy in the AD office. Their attitude will always render them to the doormat status.
Agree. But what coach would expect it to serve as a stepping stone? Could a new coach recruit well enough and long enough to earn a record suitable for being hired at another institution? I think it would be a very steep mountain to climb. And presumably after a few years the new coach would be replaced by another coach.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Do we know for sure if that Twitter account is really Geno's? There is a lot of verbiage on there that makes me question it. If it is, he got into a bit of personal spat with someone about Elliot earlier. Just didn't seem like him.

Reaction Score
I heard UVA needs a coach, and they sure aren't going to get Dawn. It would be a nice landing spot.
It wouldn’t for Virginia. They’d be outraged with that. Then again they may be indifferent to anything but they have a new AD w woman’s b-ball background

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom