Jamar Summers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jamar Summers

Reaction Score
I will make two points.

1. If you think Summers play isn't good enough -- which I understand -- I guaranty you he has graded out as our best corner this year.

2. What he did last night is inexcusable and I'm sure he will be punished appropriately. But the fact that many of you think you are mind readers and know that he's been a bad influence in practice is beyond absurd.

Beat at least three times by my counting. But why quibble. The skills in the defensive backfield are atrocious by any all measures.

Biz, what this guy is saying. Summers has been a lot of WR's patsy.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
JS may or may not be our best DB. Does it really matter if he is? The unit has been torched by one and all and no one in particular is standing out in a positive manner at the moment.

If the message going forward is that talent is useless without, commitment, discipline, and execution then JS shouldn't be playing.

If is our best DB and is as talented as he seems to think he is, then all the more reason to hold him accountable for his actions.

Reaction Score
The Point ... trust in HCRE. He's proven to be firm and to have his head on right. Summers has been disappointing; but that doesn't square with some people notion to speculate on his practice or internal team functioning.

Reaction Score
The Point ... trust in HCRE. He's proven to be firm and to have his head on right. Summers has been disappointing; but that doesn't square with some people notion to speculate on his practice or internal team functioning.
It's not speculation. It's what Edsall said. Big difference.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It's not speculation. It's what Edsall said. Big difference.

Pal's right here. Edsall has been pretty consistently negative in his comments about Summers with the one exception being that Edsall had said that Summers was beginning to buy in to what coaches were teaching him about a week ago. Besides that, he sarcastically remarked that Summers had broken a record by going three days without having some kind of issue, remarked that he doesn't hustle in practice, and mentioned there being some 'knuckleheads' on the team and then shortly after sort of got after Summers. The guy is clearly not well respected by the staff, and while he's the best CB on our team, he isn't good enough to stay on the field. Maybe irrational, but at this point if the guy doesn't wanna hustle and wants to be an idiot on the field, why not just suspend him for the rest of the season? Our secondary is atrocious either way, and our players need to understand that this isn't acceptable. I saw too many players sulking around the field last night. We were getting totally embarrassed and I saw no sense of fight or pride in our guys with a couple of exceptions--Mensah ran hard, BS showed guts, Joseph is always operating on all cylinders. There is an apparent culture problem. That game should have been our super bowl--an SEC team at home. Our team should have been flying around the field and out hustling them on every play. Instead, we saw poor discipline (multiple personal foul facemasks to begin the game), a lack of hustle, and unsportsmanlike behavior when we finally had a good play. I can stand watching a losing team, but not a losing team that also fails to work hard on the field.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I will make two points.

1. If you think Summers play isn't good enough -- which I understand -- I guaranty you he has graded out as our best corner this year.

2. What he did last night is inexcusable and I'm sure he will be punished appropriately. But the fact that many of you think you are mind readers and know that he's been a bad influence in practice is beyond absurd.

while i dont disagree with what you said, being the highest rated corner against a bunch of frosh isnt all that difficult

Reaction Score
while i dont disagree with what you said, being the highest rated corner against a bunch of frosh isnt all that difficult

I'm not saying he is playing well. He isn't. Just that -- putting discipline aside -- thinking we will be better by sitting him is dumb.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I'm not saying he is playing well. He isn't. Just that -- putting discipline aside -- thinking we will be better by sitting him is dumb.

i dont know if anyone believes we will be better without him but sending the message to young guys on the team that RE wont stand for antics like this cant be understated. we cant afford to rest on talent alone, we have to be try guys, effort guys that always give that extra effort. sending that message may be more important than anything else at this point.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I get your argument, and obviously our talent level is worse if he's out, but what do we really gain by playing him? We have maybe one win left on our schedule--BC, UCF and USF can pretty much be penciled in as blowouts. In either case, we're a total failure. At that point, you almost gain more by telling the kid to pack his bags and hoping to cultivate harder workers and a better culture for future years. This year is toast.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Yeah, Summers has been bad. But the bigger problem is that the pass defense scheme hasn’t changed since Holy Cross showed how easy it is to throw a pass in the flat and pick up minimum 8-15 years any time a team wants. And we don’t have a single playmaking linebacker.

Scheme had nothing to do with Summers' allowing a Tulsa WR to get 10 yards behind him in a 6 point game. His attention to even the slightest detail is nonexistent

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Scheme had nothing to do with Summers' allowing a Tulsa WR to get 10 yards behind him in a 6 point game. His attention to even the slightest detail is nonexistent
The pass defense has not been changed to deal with the short sideline pass. Otherwise known as an automatic first down on every third down. Summers isn’t the whole problem. And our linebackers rarely fill big holes or force wide plays inside or to be strung out.

Besides that, yesterday we had a lethal combo of Sherriffs not being very sharp and when he was, a lot of drops. Mizzou has a pretty good O, big and fast. The O didn’t do a good job of keeping them off the field. They were going to win anyway.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Could we be worse? At least someone would get some playing time that might have a positive ROI some day.

Edit - guess I was 7th in on that point.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Could we be worse? At least someone would get some playing time that might have a positive ROI some day.

Edit - guess I was 7th in on that point.

Sloppy 7ths

Reaction Score
Too bad Randy didn't do it earlier, Summers Disrespected UCONN and the game of football from the get go with his lack of coverage long before he intercepted and threw that ball at the Missouri player. Are the 40 times that much slower than everyone else. 1st game I have been to all year and I could have sworn that the DEBACLE was back on the sidelines screwing up the D. I was looking for the cranberry thin jeans. The game was just one BIG WTF. Thank God for a great tailgate meal.
Jackl, no attack here at all. :) I see your avatar has you as a season ticket holder for 17 years. Your comment says this was the first game you attended this year. PLEASE P.M. me on how one has so much expendable income. Willing to take advice from any successful source, I thank you in advance.

I get your point here Biz, but I also see that of the others. There is nothing he can do to make our season better than setting a good example for the underclassmen. That being said, putting discipline aside is NOT an option for Randy at this stage.

Reaction Score
So a serious question. He was amazing a few years ago. Is he hurt? He's a shell of his former self
During Summer's sophomore season I believe he had 9 interceptions. That's a high number. In college, I played cornerback so I always watch how guys play that position. During Summer's sophomore year, despite his 9 interceptions, he was consistently beaten by the offensive players. He seldom broke up a pass play. He usually hit the receiver just after the catch. Very seldom was the interception caused by his great play. It was usually caused by an overthrow, or under throw and he just happened to be there. The great interception he had against UCF that won the game for us was caused by a very off mis-throw by the quarterback. He just happened to be in the right spot. Throughout Summer's time here I have not been impressed with him as a cornerback. If you watch him this year its more of the same. Consistently getting beat.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I knew we’d be very thin depth wise in the secondary playing the 3-3-5 but I expected way better out of Jamar and Tre Bell. They have been pitiful.

Reaction Score
Other schools set passing records against him. What more needs to be said? We can pin all those passing records over the past 2 years on him.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Summers rated very high after his sophomore year by PFF and had him rated second in the nation the last six games.
Now maybe he was overrated but many on here thought he would be an all conference player at worse and instead he has regressed last year with the Syracuse beating and never was himself after that. It happens and regretfully it happened to him. The one thing he can find right is get his degree as that is most important for his life going forward

Reaction Score
Not saying I understand the dynamics of his performance and attitude, but thinking of 3 years of Diaco and then a half year of this defensive scheme would drive most players crazy. This defense gives up so much "territory" to the opponents offense that I can see how a DB would get upset. Everything is designed to make DB's look bad: no pass rush, LB's can not cover middle of field, zone gives sidelines up to receivers, DB's so far off receivers they can't recover to tackle.
I'm not buying that DB's are playing off receivers the way they are "CONTRARY TO DC COACHES INSTRUCTIONS". I would not like to go to practice or get beat up for 60 minutes if I really thought the defensive scheme being used was really stupid. Especially if the scheme was designed to hang the DB's out to get beat. Not saying there aren't "execution" issues, just that it's hard to play when the offensive set can easily overwhelm at the point of attack because a decent opposition OC/QB can see where UConn's defense is weak.
Remember this kid spent last 6 games of last year playing defense for a team that had given up and this year has spent 8 games playing for the worst defense in football. I'd have an attitude also, DL and LB's don't get hung out to dry like DB's do. I'll give him the "under 25 years old" and still immature semi-exemption.

Reaction Score
Doesn't WVU play this defense? They seem to do OK with it and they are nothing special, just a middle of the road Big 12 team.

Reaction Score
Doesn't WVU play this defense? They seem to do OK with it and they are nothing special, just a middle of the road Big 12 team.
Nothing wrong the 3-3 per se if you have the right personnel, although I don't think it is ideal and has its own weaknesses like any alignment. You really need special LBs that can cover and can also play big inside because there is not enough upfront. I get pissed when they are putting a square peg through a round hole and the D shows little proficiency in basic skills that are not about speed or size just good football playing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom