Jamar Summers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jamar Summers

Reaction Score
Summers won’t see the field next week. As you would expect, when our young DB’s came in they looked to JS for guidance—he’s been a poor influence —in many ways.

Reaction Score
Also something of note, Tre Bell hadn't seen the field until Jamar got tossed.

Reaction Score
I would love to be a fly on the wall of Randy's staff meeting today.

Reaction Score
I will make two points.

1. If you think Summers play isn't good enough -- which I understand -- I guaranty you he has graded out as our best corner this year.

2. What he did last night is inexcusable and I'm sure he will be punished appropriately. But the fact that many of you think you are mind readers and know that he's been a bad influence in practice is beyond absurd.

Reaction Score
I will make two points.

1. If you think Summers play isn't good enough -- which I understand -- I guaranty you he has graded out as our best corner this year.

2. What he did last night is inexcusable and I'm sure he will be punished appropriately. But the fact that many of you think you are mind readers and know that he's been a bad influence in practice is beyond absurd.
I wish you would stop bringing logic into these conversations.

Reaction Score
Summers was beat twice big (once for a TD), and you could see him smiling after both like he didn't care.
This was long before the penalty. I think throwing him out was about far more than just the one play.
Beat at least three times by my counting. But why quibble. The skills in the defensive backfield are atrocious by any all measures.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree biz on him being the best corner but he has truly been terrible. I watched him a lot over the last several weeks. No effort tackling or trying to fight through blocks. His coverage has also been very sloppy. He has a ton of talent but somehow the light went off.

The secondary was terrible. The fact Swann is the best option at one of the cb positions right now is horrifying. He couldn’t tackle or cover.

Reaction Score
I will make two points.

Not sure how you are defining “bad influence” Biz, but Randy all but said he has a tendency to mail it in @ practice and freelance on the field in this JJ article from earlier in the week.

Jeff Jacobs: Jamar Summers Symbolizes Huskies' Purge Of Ugly Memphis Loss

Summers has the talent - it’s consistency, coachability(?) and focus that seems to be the issue.

Reaction Score
The tackling last night by our DBs was shameful. Swann isn’t physically ready, which is somewhat understandable. As for Summers, I’m wondering if he cares anymore. Kid has a lot more swagger than game.

Reaction Score
Bench him or better yet, play him only in the fourth quarter of next week’s game. The message you send to the rest of the team would be far more impactful than any bearing at this stage he would have on any remaining game. I thought he was enjoying himself way too much on the sidelines during that absymal 4th quarter against SMU.

Reaction Score
I will make two points.

Edsall said last week that Summers did not play hard every practice in camp.

Last April, the Courant wrote. Edsall went on to say that he recently had Summers spend time on the second team "to get his attention a little" and "keep his priorities in line."

Not exactly what a coach wants out of a senior leader.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah, Summers has been bad. But the bigger problem is that the pass defense scheme hasn’t changed since Holy Cross showed how easy it is to throw a pass in the flat and pick up minimum 8-15 years any time a team wants. And we don’t have a single playmaking linebacker.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree biz on him being the best corner but he has truly been terrible. I watched him a lot over the last several weeks. No effort tackling or trying to fight through blocks. His coverage has also been very sloppy. He has a ton of talent but somehow the light went off.

The secondary was terrible. The fact Swann is the best option at one of the cb positions right now is horrifying. He couldn’t tackle or cover.

I don't think this is a mystery. He had a great sophomore year, and never recovered from giving up 300 yards to one receiver against Syracuse last year being given no help again and again by HCVV with a WR he couldn't handle one on one. He was never the same player again.

Yes, the lack of mental resiliency is on him, and made him a far less important player. But it shouldn't be a mystery either. He was broken mentally by the malfeasance of our prior head coach.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
?Junior Joseph - could use two more of him.
He’s ok. But we hardly ever have holes filled by linebackers. Joseph can’t cover three holes by himself.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If Summers is benched for the remainder of the year, we’ll have to play walk on Kyle Williams and look at removing the redshirts on one of Obi (can’t remember his full name) or King.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Summers killed any possible momentum that may have been gained by the interception as well as giving up valuable field position with the penalty assessment. It was a juvenile action, not expected of a veteran player. In my former incarnation as a youth league coach, players got called off the field for such unsportsmanlike conduct & game respect was emphasized as a teachable moment. Playing time is not an entitlement-HCRE couldn't let Summers get away with his action.

Reaction Score
If Summers is benched for the remainder of the year, we’ll have to play walk on Kyle Williams and look at removing the redshirts on one of Obi (can’t remember his full name) or Fox.

Do you mean Fortt? He’s already playing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom