Jamal Coombs-McDaniel 'arrested' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jamal Coombs-McDaniel 'arrested'

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He's a useful player on a good team but you can't run a program and have idiots constantly arrested. It isn't all that hard to not get arrested constantly.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Glad we got rid of that drug addict thug!
I wouldn't call him a drug addict - a stupid spoiled brat perhaps
If you consider kids who smoke pot as drug addicts then UCONN won in 1999 with a team full of addicts, ditto with 2004 and probably most of 2011
The only thing Jamal Coombs-McDaniel is addicted to is the thought that he will never get punishe for his actions - too bad

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
It's like people who get clocked doing 80 in a 65 with a bag in the car. When my brother was an undergrad at Wesleyan I drove down there once to pick up a fairly large order and I was on the Mass Pike with my hands at 10 and 2, my seatbelt on, and the speedometer stuck on 62. Common sense.

That's the proper technique and protocol.

Reaction Score
It's not a big deal until it starts to adversely affect your life.

This is now the second time he's been arrested for marijuana possession. He had issues with it at UConn and he was suspended earlier this year at Hofstra for 'violating team rules'...guess which rules he violated?

He now has a relatively serious legal issue on his hands - no "first time, so sorry, I'll never do that again, judge" kind of plea bargains coming this go 'round. And his athletic director is more than well aware of what went on with him at UConn...as he dealt with that while both of them were at UConn.

Smoking marijuana doesn't make him a bad kid. Doing stupid s*** and never learning from it makes him a bad kid.

Quick question did they ever release why he got suspended? Or is this boneyard speculation?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
This kid is a moron. When you play d1 basketball on a scholarship you can't do this. You want to smoke pot, then pay your own way.

I'm very pro-legalization but I couldn't have said it any better. There are rules in life that we all must follow. Some good, some bad.

You can't complain about the punishment if you knew you were breaking the rules.

Reaction Score
Don't commit a Misdemeanor when you are committing a Felony.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
6 joints in Jamal Coombs-McDaniel's world is a triple-double.

Reaction Score
I was kidding. Smoking weed doesn't make you a drug addict. Not wearing a seatbelt doesn't make you a thug.

If anything Jamal Coombs-McDaniel just has luck.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I'd say that he's probably done . With his age and issues he won't be able sit out another year or transfer unless its D2 or D3

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call him a drug addict - a stupid spoiled brat perhaps
If you consider kids who smoke pot as drug addicts then UCONN won in 1999 with a team full of addicts, ditto with 2004 and probably most of 2011
The only thing Jamal Coombs-McDaniel is addicted to is the thought that he will never get punishe for his actions - too bad

+1.

Reaction Score
The weed isnt a big deal, its the common sense part. If I knew I was carrying weed in my vehicle I would be extra cautious driving. Hope for his sake its nothing more then a fine and he can use better judgement going forward.

Reaction Score
Smoking marijuana doesn't make him a bad kid. Doing stupid s*** and never learning from it makes him a bad kid.
I've been reading your posts for 5 years and this is easily your sh-ttiest post.
Doing stupid and never learning from it DOES NOT make him a BAD kid. It makes him a STUPID kid.

Big difference.

I don't like him. I thought he was poison when he was here, except for the Pitt board. I was happy to see him go.

BUT, getting caught 50 times w/o a seatbelt and with a big Jamaican blunt does not make you "bad." It just makes you stupid.

He didn't hurt anybody. He's only hurting himself. Stupid. Yes. Bad? Not based on this.

Reaction Score
Must be the water at the Tilton School. Him and Alex tried their hardest to torpedo some immensely talented teams.

Reaction Score
I hang my head in shame calling him a younger version of Scott Burrell, I'm going to microwave that crow for lunch tomorrow...what a huge disappointment, it's also no surprise he followed AO, they were like best buds for crying out-loud!

Reaction Score

This is now the second time he's been arrested for marijuana possession. He had issues with it at UConn and he was suspended earlier this year at Hofstra for 'violating team rules'...guess which rules he violated?

He now has a relatively serious legal issue on his hands - no "first time, so sorry, I'll never do that again, judge" kind of plea bargains coming this go 'round. And his athletic director is more than well aware of what went on with him at UConn...as he dealt with that while both of them were at UConn.

The laws in NYC for marijuana possession are more lenient than the current laws in CT.

Jamal Coombs-McDaniel will see a $100 or $200 fine that is all.

Reaction Score
Quick question did they ever release why he got suspended? Or is this boneyard speculation?

From many athletes I have known for different D-1 schools they have all told me that 90% of the time when a player is suspended for violation of team rules its a failed drug test.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

All I can say is, it can be more complicated than that. The bad kid part. Messed up could be closer to the mark.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Here's how I see it - the majority of college students have at the very least tried marijuana, if not at least at one point smoked it semi-habitually. It's a relatively innocuous offense and really not that big of a deal. However, if you're an NCAA athlete who hopes to make the big time, then you can't do such things, especially if you've already been caught once. I don't care if the rule is that you can't drink ginger ale while listening to the soundtrack of Footloose - if that's the rule and you really want to play college basketball and eventually make the NBA, you just don't do it - it's not worth it.

Reaction Score
in the NY Post article it said he was already gone from the team before this happened, he's entered the Wiggins category of blowing opportunities

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Here's what his situation is -

He's almost 24 years old.

He washed out of Connecticut and left on poor terms with Calhoun. I've been told that there will be no issue with Hofstra because apparently, he'd already been asked to leave the program. Now he's been arrested for a second time, this time for driving with six marijuana cigarettes in his cupholder. His hoop prospects are non-existant, his academic prospects seem dim and his employment prospects are obviously not particularly good at the moment.

If you want to call him 'messed up' or confused or just write it all off to youthful mischief, you can. But, they didn't like him at Tilton, they didn't like him at UConn and they didn't like him at Hofstra. He's a problem because he has a problem and that problem is that he's a jerk.

He just happens to be a jerk who once played basketball for us. It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom