Jalen signs exhibit 10 deal with Pelicans | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen signs exhibit 10 deal with Pelicans

Reaction Score
No, but if he had a history of problems controlling his drinking it might be something to look out for.

He does have history of problems controlling his weight. The simple premise is that it is a bit more of a challenge to eat healthy in New Orleans. I'm surprised that is considered ludicrous by anyone who has ever spent any time there.
Where is this Zion has a history of problems controlling his weight coming from?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Where is this Zion has a history of problems controlling his weight coming from?
K talked about him being out of playing shape; Greenberg talked about him being overweight; Zion himself said in the GQ article that he gained 100 pounds in two years in high school. No one is saying he's a fat slob or that he's going to end up hunting down Lucky Dog carts at night. His size is one of the most fascinating things about him, but when the force of your body weight causes your sneaker to explode, it is also something to watch.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m sure he’ll have a personal chef and all that. A poboy and some gumbo once in a while isn’t gonna kill his career.

Kevin Love was chubby in college but got a whole nutrition team and all that and is super fit now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A poboy and some gumbo once in a while isn’t gonna kill his career.
Yeah, I can't believe how many people are saying that.

Oh, wait. Nevermind. No one is.

Reaction Score
K talked about him being out of playing shape; Greenberg talked about him being overweight; Zion himself said in the GQ article that he gained 100 pounds in two years in high school. No one is saying he's a fat slob or that he's going to end up hunting down Lucky Dog carts at night. His size is one of the most fascinating things about him, but when the force of your body weight causes your sneaker to explode, it is also something to watch.
I've never heard anything about Zion having a history of problems controlling his weight. Yes, K was talking about him not being in playing shape for summer league because of his demanding schedule of appearances and being away from the court.

As I've always said injury is my only concern with him because of his explosiveness and strength/size. It was the same thing for Bo Jackson but telling Bo to trim down to 200 lbs. and Bo would no longer be Bo. Same goes for Zion, IMO. Being so strong, jumping so high, and being so explosive with his movements may put him at greater risk of injury than normal players but you start taking any of these things away and he's no longer the freak of nature that allows him to be an unstoppable force on the court.

Yes, he was 6'3 175 lbs. when he was 14 and is now 6'7 around 285, it's called growing which he still may be doing.

Zion was the biggest, strongest, fastest, most explosive player in college and he's going to be the same in the NBA. This isn't some fat guy who likes to eat everything, his build is huge because that's how he's built. Being built like a tank is what makes him so freaky. We don't know his ideal playing weight at the NBA yet but I really don't see it being 240 lbs. In my opinion that makes him less special. Jokic dropped down to 250 lbs. and thought it made his game worse, he bulked back up to 280 lbs. and was one of the best players in the league. I'm amazed anyone can watch Zion and think he's out of shape. Dude is about as solid as it gets.

If he's eating roast beef debris po'boys and boo fries every meal of course it won't be good for him but that goes for any athlete. I doubt any Bulls players are eating Italian beefs and Merkts cheddar fries every day. These are pro athletes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The same spot most speculation on this board comes from, nowhere
It was the focus of the Yahoo article posted in this thread earlier in the day. Maybe it’s fake news; I have no idea. But it is being talked about in places other than here.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
If a slob like me can lose over 100lbs with just some DVDs, I'm sure a guy in Zion's position will be able to shed a few lbs if needed. He's not exactly Dinner Bell Mel.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Anyone with eyes can see that Zion carries about 20 extra pounds.

Doesn’t seem to slow him down, of course, but given how freakishly athletic he is, those 20 extra pounds have the potential to cause havoc on knees and ankles.

He’s better off without it.

Reaction Score
It was the focus of the Yahoo article posted in this thread earlier in the day. Maybe it’s fake news; I have no idea. But it is being talked about in places other than here.
Think about how silly it is though. He just turned 19 last month he was a skinny kid at 14 and turned into an absolute tank by the time he turned 18. Somehow we have sports dopes (not you) speculating he's always had a history of problems controlling his weight when he's done what every male does from ages 14-18.

This is why people like Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd have jobs.

Reaction Score
Anyone with eyes can see that Zion carries about 20 extra pounds.

Doesn’t seem to slow him down, of course, but given how freakishly athletic he is, those 20 extra pounds have the potential to cause havoc on knees and ankles.

He’s better off without it.
I have eyes and I don't see it. He'll be the strongest and most explosive guy in the NBA at his weight.

Reaction Score
Today's discussion, fair. But it started before that article too. I think it's absurd to think New Orleans will hurt his NBA career because of the food, he'll spend half his time on the road anyway.

Unless he has some severe condition where he can resist all food except Cajun, then that's not the reason

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Think about how silly it is though. He just turned 19 last month he was a skinny kid at 14 and turned into an absolute tank by the time he turned 18. Somehow we have sports dopes (not you) speculating he's always had a history of problems controlling his weight when he's done what every male does from ages 14-18.

This is why people like Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd have jobs.
Like Fonzie wrote on the bathroom wall in the first episode of Happy Days, “Bull makes the world go ‘round.”

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Today's discussion, fair. But it started before that article too. I think it's absurd to think New Orleans will hurt his NBA career because of the food, he'll spend half his time on the road anyway.

Unless he has some severe condition where he can resist all food except Cajun, then that's not the reason
Yes it’s absurd to think that it will hurt his NBA career. It is not absurd to think that it would be discussed because he’s an absurdly large human with a few extra pounds and it’s a city in which it is legitimately difficult to find good, healthy food in restaurants; and there is an abundance of very good unhealthy food.

And New Orleans is not Cajun cuisine; it’s creole.

Reaction Score
It should be possible to make an observation and not have to subsequently choose an extreme version of one's point or the opposite. Does New Orleans have very good food? Yes
Is there any way a person can know definitively how this will effect another person? No
Nonetheless, if noted Sweet tooth Dwight Howard signs with Philly it's risky if he also moves to Hershey PA.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think he will be fine in New Orleans. He’s going to play about 150% more basketball games and they will be longer. If anything it’s hard for NBA players to maintain and especially gain weight. He’s probably burning 5000 calories a day easy.

He needs to drop 20-25 pounds, just as Lebron did a few years ago, just to save his joints. He won’t lose any strength. I think the NBA regimen plus a team nutritionist will make it easy for him to drop that weight.

As for NOLA I don’t gain weight when I visit because I walk so damned much. And I’m drinking quite a bit and eating that food.

Meanwhile....is there any news on Jalen? I expect him to be with a G League team. Not sure he will rate a 2 way.

Reaction Score
Pelicans provide a wealth of opportunities right now, good spot. Long shot but that should provide further motivation.
Their G-league squad is in Birmingham ALABAMA - so a few less distractions vs the big easy.
Sidenote: coming into the college basketball season, the big story was Zion's weight. Given that he's playing in the city with arguably the best cuisine in the USA isn't that a concern?

He just has to make sure he doesn't finish his meals with a mint like the guy in "The Meaning of Life".

Reaction Score
I lost 50 lbs to get under 200 lbs for the 1st time in 30 years here in NOLA. Of course I can't afford to go to Brennan's or Commander's Palace that often like I'm sure Zion can. But you can still put on some lbs on my budget at places like Parkway Bakery and Tavern for the best roast beef po-boys (grinders) and Willie Mae's Scotch House for some fine fried chicken.
Think I'll go out for dinner tomorrow!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I lost 50 lbs to get under 200 lbs for the 1st time in 30 years here in NOLA. Of course I can't afford to go to Brennan's or Commander's Palace that often like I'm sure Zion can. But you can still put on some lbs on my budget at places like Parkway Bakery and Tavern for the best roast beef po-boys (grinders) and Willie Mae's Scotch House for some fine fried chicken.
Think I'll go out for dinner tomorrow!

That’s impressive anywhere. I’m still trying and failing in the Boston suburbs. Liquid calories would be my worry in NOLA. Especially if I could walk to Avenue Pub.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As for NOLA I don’t gain weight when I visit because I walk so damned much. And I’m drinking quite a bit and eating that food.
This is also true for me; and when I am not walking, I am usually on my feet watching/"dancing" to live music, so the damage from all the food and drink I'm consuming is remarkably limited. But keeping up that pace for a week is about as much as I can tolerate; I think four days is the ideal New Orleans visit.

No matter what the scale says, my body feels the effect of the change in diet after a few days. That's why I try to hit Mona's on Frenchmen for Mediterranean food at least a couple times each trip.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This is also true for me; and when I am not walking, I am usually on my feet watching/"dancing" to live music, so the damage from all the food and drink I'm consuming is remarkably limited. But keeping up that pace for a week is about as much as I can tolerate; I think four days is the ideal New Orleans visit.

No matter what the scale says, my body feels the effect of the change in diet after a few days. That's why I try to hit Mona's on Frenchmen for Mediterranean food at least a couple times each trip.

Will need to give Mona's a try. I got "Southern Food" on Frenchmen two trips ago.

Reaction Score
I have eyes and I don't see it. He'll be the strongest and most explosive guy in the NBA at his weight.

Definitely. But will he still be at age 25? Will he be able to still be super explosive at 30? Nobody knows. You would think probably not, but he might just be that type of rare athletic freak.

Reaction Score
I think we had fans who actually thought he would be drafted. There could have been 4 rounds and he wasn't getting drafted.

Why?

I don’t understand the poor fan attitude. Jalen reminds me ... of lots of 22 year olds I’ve met. It could go great - he’s got talent; it probably won’t.

Reaction Score

Seems as though the exhibit 10 contract is a notch below a 2 way contract:

There are 50 players who have signed a contract with the Exhibit 10, a new type of deal in the most recent collective bargaining agreement (CBA). A player who is signed to a contract with an Exhibit 10 will receive a bonus up to $50,000 if he signs a contract with the team's G League affiliate upon being waived from the parent club. However, there is a catch. A player waived by Oct. 17 must report to his G League affiliate by Oct. 20 and remain there for at least 60 days to receive the bonus (in addition to the G League salary). Unlike last season, when a team would incur a salary-cap hit for players with partially guaranteed money who were eventually waived at the end of training camp, an NBA team will not have a cap charge for the bonus money awarded. A player signed with an Exhibit 10 can also be converted to a two-way contract by the first day of the regular season. The bonus would then be rescinded and the two-way contract would apply.

Has his foot in the door. Hope it works out for him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom