Jalen signs exhibit 10 deal with Pelicans | The Boneyard

Jalen signs exhibit 10 deal with Pelicans

Reaction Score

Seems as though the exhibit 10 contract is a notch below a 2 way contract:

There are 50 players who have signed a contract with the Exhibit 10, a new type of deal in the most recent collective bargaining agreement (CBA). A player who is signed to a contract with an Exhibit 10 will receive a bonus up to $50,000 if he signs a contract with the team's G League affiliate upon being waived from the parent club. However, there is a catch. A player waived by Oct. 17 must report to his G League affiliate by Oct. 20 and remain there for at least 60 days to receive the bonus (in addition to the G League salary). Unlike last season, when a team would incur a salary-cap hit for players with partially guaranteed money who were eventually waived at the end of training camp, an NBA team will not have a cap charge for the bonus money awarded. A player signed with an Exhibit 10 can also be converted to a two-way contract by the first day of the regular season. The bonus would then be rescinded and the two-way contract would apply.

Reaction Score
Pelicans provide a wealth of opportunities right now, good spot. Long shot but that should provide further motivation.
Their G-league squad is in Birmingham ALABAMA - so a few less distractions vs the big easy.
Sidenote: coming into the college basketball season, the big story was Zion's weight. Given that he's playing in the city with arguably the best cuisine in the USA isn't that a concern?

Reaction Score
Nice! Exciting young team with a good coach and a front office that is making smart choices. Would love to see Jalen bust his ass and get a two-way contract.

Reaction Score
Pelicans provide a wealth of opportunities right now, good spot. Long shot but that should provide further motivation.
Their G-league squad is in Birmingham ALABAMA - so a few less distractions vs the big easy.
Sidenote: coming into the college basketball season, the big story was Zion's weight. Given that he's playing in the city with arguably the best cuisine in the USA isn't that a concern?
Imagine not drafting Zion first because they were afraid he would eat too much gumbo.

Reaction Score
This is probably the best scenario for Jalen. He has a decent chance. Good luck to Jalen

Reaction Score
If it hasn't been drilled into him by now it won't be. Good luck to him, At his best I think he can scratch and claw his way into 1-2 yrs in the league

caw

Reaction Score
Only 12 players under contract and no major must sign UFA, RFA. Seems to have some space, though Lonzo and Jrue (assuming no further moves) also mean not a ton of PT.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is probably the best scenario for Jalen. He has a decent chance. Good luck to Jalen

Of what? Making the G league team? Yeah. Making the NBA? .5% isn't decent.

Reaction Score
Imagine not drafting Zion first because they were afraid he would eat too much gumbo.
My comment was more based on the long-term projections for him, ie. on telecast last night they mentioned it'd be ideal for him to get thinner into late 20's as one's body becomes less elastic. So I'm saying it is more in play in NOrleans than say Phoenix that his weight comes into play as his career progresses. On list of top 20 concerns this is #99-ish.

Reaction Score
Not to pile on but here's an article where they highlight the 5 best college players who didn't get drafted. Then there's 8 honorable mentions. Jalen is not mentioned. I hope he works his butt off and makes it but he has a huge uphill battle.

Reaction Score
Of what? Making the G league team? Yeah. Making the NBA? .5% isn't decent.
I think we had fans who actually thought he would be drafted. There could have been 4 rounds and he wasn't getting drafted.

Reaction Score
Not to pile on but here's an article where they highlight the 5 best college players who didn't get drafted. Then there's 8 honorable mentions. Jalen is not mentioned. I hope he works his butt off and makes it but he has a huge uphill battle.

Shamorie Ponds was getting some pretty good pre-draft buzz, would be a minor appeasement if he gets invited to Celtics summer league or camp. I remember Daum as a big time scorer had at least one high-scoring ncaa tourney game.

Reaction Score
Interesting article about 2019 draft picks who defied their recruiting rankings. Obviously Ja Morant is #1.

Every year, the draft spotlights players who had unlikely roads to hearing their name called, roads that started way back in high school. Not everyone is Zion Williamson or R.J. Barrett, arriving at college with plenty of hype and a sterling recruiting ranking to match. This year alone, four of the top-10 picks (and five of the top 11) weren’t even top-100 recruits in high school. And, incredibly, two of the first six picks weren’t even top-300 recruits, showing that there’s no limit to how much one’s stock can improve with hard work and talent.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My comment was more based on the long-term projections for him, ie. on telecast last night they mentioned it'd be ideal for him to get thinner into late 20's as one's body becomes less elastic. So I'm saying it is more in play in NOrleans than say Phoenix that his weight comes into play as his career progresses. On list of top 20 concerns this is #99-ish.

If there is a concern anywhere in the universe about Zion, it'd be his weight.

I don't think it's even a minor concern, but he's carrying some extra weight and long-term, he's better off without it. I'm guessing an NBA conditioning program will handle it.

Terrifying to imagine what he'd be like in peak condition.

Reaction Score
If there is a concern anywhere in the universe about Zion, it'd be his weight.

I don't think it's even a minor concern, but he's carrying some extra weight and long-term, he's better off without it. I'm guessing an NBA conditioning program will handle it.

Terrifying to imagine what he'd be like in peak condition.
Injury because of his size and power is my only concern and the only thing that can stop him from being a star IMO.

Russillo and Van Pelt were talking about expectations for him and Rusillo brought up some sort of Blake Griffin comparison and then said if he turned out to be Blake Griffin it would be a massive disappointment. The expectations are high.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Injury because of his size and power is my only concern and the only thing that can stop him from being a star IMO.

Russillo and Van Pelt were talking about expectations for him and Rusillo brought up some sort of Blake Griffin comparison and then said if he turned out to be Blake Griffin it would be a massive disappointment. The expectations are high.

I would agree - he's capable of doing things that someone his size should not be capable of doing.

He really needs to take care.

Reaction Score
Brutal landing spot. Their G-League is in Erie, PA next year. He won't be able to get a NBA development synergy like OKC and the Raptors have been lauded for. The Pelicans are notorious for underinvesting in the basketball side of things, their ownership is all about football. Seems like David Griffin will change some of that but still. He NEEDS the right infrastructure if he wants to realize the best version of himself.

Additionally, Frank Jackson and Nickeil Alexander-Walker, and Didi (Marcus Louzada Silva) will all be ahead of him in the Summer League guard rotation. I know he was destined for the G League anyways, and wasn't coveted, but I don't know if this was the optimal spot.

Reaction Score
So the question stands, is the food scene in New Orleans so good that he is more at risk there? His Achilles heel is arguably most exposed there vs any other NBA City. Hire Draymond Green's new dietician or better yet, talk to LeBron about annual $ spent on his body.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom