Jalen likely returning | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Jalen likely returning

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Chief gets it. Polley is not a stretch 4. Nor is Larrier. Al Horford is. Kevin Love is. Big guys who can step outside and hit a three, but who are also strong post players. Among college guys, Dedrick Lawson is that kind on player. A skinny, mid height shooter with no interior post game is a wing. Kinsunas, maybe, could become a stretch 4 if he learns how to shoot. Polley would need to add 60 pounds to be a legit PF. Cobb thinks he’s a stretch 4, and maybe he is.

Cobb thinks he's a point forward, which maybe like 3 guys in the world can do legitimately.

Reaction Score
Chief gets it. Polley is not a stretch 4. Nor is Larrier. Al Horford is. Kevin Love is. Big guys who can step outside and hit a three, but who are also strong post players. Among college guys, Dedrick Lawson is that kind on player. A skinny, mid height shooter with no interior post game is a wing. Kinsunas, maybe, could become a stretch 4 if he learns how to shoot. Polley would need to add 60 pounds to be a legit PF. Cobb thinks he’s a stretch 4, and maybe he is.

Difference between small ball 4s and stretch 4s. A stretch 4 is a 4 who can also shoot. A small ball 4 is a guy too small to play 4 who is doing his best and hopefully not getting killed on the boards, but hopefully killing his guy on the other end running off screens and running pick and roll with the 5. Both can work, but stretch 4s are a weapon due to being a positive on both sides of the ball. Except Kevin Love.

Reaction Score
Polley wouldn't even be a stretch 4 in the Ivy League.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cobb thinks he's a point forward, which maybe like 3 guys in the world can do legitimately.

Ironically, Daniel Hamilton wasn't bad at it. Would have been nice to see what he'd do on a better team.

With Cobb though, I really think he's an unpolished gem. He's got size. He's got hands. He knows how to dunk...and when to dunk. He can make 3's, which suggests he can be effective on pop out jumpers. He can dribble quite well for his size. He's a pretty good passer around the basket. He throws the best outlet passes of any UConn big since...?? Certainly since Ollie took over, and probably back to maybe Donny Marshall? He needs coaching, lots of it, and discipline. But the guy has a very useful skill set.

Reaction Score
Ironically, Daniel Hamilton wasn't bad at it. Would have been nice to see what he'd do on a better team.

With Cobb though, I really think he's an unpolished gem. He's got size. He's got hands. He knows how to dunk...and when to dunk. He can make 3's, which suggests he can be effective on pop out jumpers. He can dribble quite well for his size. He's a pretty good passer around the basket. He throws the best outlet passes of any UConn big since...?? Certainly since Ollie took over, and probably back to maybe Donny Marshall? He needs coaching, lots of it, and discipline. But the guy has a very useful skill set.

Cobb has that lackadaisical look like he's just having fun when he's out there no matter what and doesn't take it all that serious. If someone could get him to take the game real serious I do believe he'd be exactly what we need in the middle. As you say no doubt he has the skill set just wished he'd take the summer to improve his stamina and come back ready to take the game by storm.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I entirely agree with this. There is so much potential there if a coach can get him focused and build him up. He’s got special talents. I’ve mentioned it a couple of times but I just gave up on bothering to analyze this team or the coaching a few weeks ago. The average fan doesn’t think we have many good players and I totally disagree, but then that takes me back to bashing Ollie. It’s just exhausting.

We have players but we need coaching. If Ollie is retained he MUST get a truly accomplished tactical assistant that basically determines who to play, what offense and defense to run and plans set plays on inbounds and timeouts. KO needs to be a recruiter, motivator and student.

Last edited:

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Didn't someone say Larrier is a better NBA prospect than Jalen? I can someone send me that post.

Per nbadraft.net, Larrier is the 82nd ranked player on the board. Jalen is not ranked. Obviously, this reflects the player's current value as of this year's draft, not their long-term potential:

Top 100 Players as of 2/2/18

Reaction Score
His commitment to UConn is highly admirable. It's also a very wise decision on a personal level if he's hoping to be drafted - it would be highly unlikely in 2018, but with an improved roster next year, he'll have the opportunity to impress a lot of people. There's the age argument, but he'll only be a few months older than Shabazz was upon graduation.

May have talked to Bazz and Boat. If so they probably said he would get more exposure and a higher draft selection if he sticks it out. It will be exciting to watch him next year. The sky's the limit.

C

Chief00

May have talked to Bazz and Boat. If so they probably said he would get more exposure and a higher draft selection if he sticks it out. It will be exciting to watch him next year. The sky's the limit.
My advice, except for a lottery lock, is to stay out of the draft this year. Lots of the paid players will be going pro.

C

Chief00

Agree to some extent if he ever got in shape and got discipline. No evidence either will happen, but we can hope.

Reaction Score

You have to look at Horford his freshman year when he was just as thin as our guys and didn't post up. He weighed 210 pounds. You're looking at a guy with 13 years more basketball experience now and comparing him to a freshman. But Horford as a frosh at Florida played for half the game and had 5 points a game.

Reaction Score
My advice, except for a lottery lock, is to stay out of the draft this year. Lots of the paid players will be going pro.
See what you did there. But paid intern may be the pc term.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom