Jalen Gaffney to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney to UConn

Reaction Score
I would argue the best. And arguably one of the most important
Arguably the most important for sure.

One of the higher ranked classes, too. I don't know by terms of ranking, and I'd hesitate to suggest they'd accomplish as much as some of our very best classes: the Rip-Kfree-Voskhul, etc. group, or the Ray-Doron-King, or the Emeka-Ben. Highest ranked might have been the year we brought in Rudy and AJ or Robinson-Dyson-Wiggins-Curtis Kelly.

Reaction Score
That'll be an all out dam break with stage 5 flooding. Lives may be lost.

tenor.gif
But games will be won.

Reaction Score
This is literally how Dan recruits. It was obvious he was going to get September recruits. Is someone going to predict the sun is going to come up tomorrow and then expect praise for doing so?

Everyone they’re recruiting is familiar with each other. Getting Bouknight and Gaffney in in an efficient and quick manner lets the bigs know exactly who they’ll be working and building with.

Reaction Score
Not so fast Chief but you’re getting closer to being able to take credit. One commit is a rise in water level. Two is clear distress in the structure. Three would be your predicted dam break. If Matrim is right about this weekend your clairvoyance will be proven. That said, it’s just a great start and even if the eventual break doesn’t come until next month or the spring, I’ll gladly take it. I’ve seen enough so far to keep me going until then and to believe this staff is going to get us where we want to go.
Dude what have you got against Chief? Are you a UConn fan or what? Suck it up and pay homage to the all mighty Chief. He DAM well deserves it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not so fast Chief but you’re getting closer to being able to take credit. One commit is a rise in water level. Two is clear distress in the structure. Three would be your predicted dam break. If Matrim is right about this weekend your clairvoyance will be proven. That said, it’s just a great start and even if the eventual break doesn’t come until next month or the spring, I’ll gladly take it. I’ve seen enough so far to keep me going until then and to believe this staff is going to get us where we want to go.
One quality recruit is a dam break.
Two is dam breech.
Three is a dam flood.
Four is a damn miracle.

Reaction Score
Who would have thought this is the position we'd be in now after our last loss against SMU in March?
Incredible hire by AD Dave and incredible coaching staff assembled by Hurley. We are back.
Now for some results on the court...

Not Stairs. He thought we were going to suck forever post-Ollie.

PS: Myself and the Boneyard Dream Team were expecting this.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

You’re not knowledgeable or perceptive at all. I’m quite happy to admit I’ve been wrong about where I thought the program would head. At least my grounding in reality is strong enough to be able to admit something like that.

Reaction Score
Then you go on to downplay the commits. Face it, if you had your way we'd be playing in front of maybe 2,500 people.
I am not a big fan of his being a big fan of our former coach but he isn't totally wrong here. As of right now, Gaffney is a 3 star recruit on rivals and not particularly high on any site. When was the last time we had a 3 star recruit become a major contributor to a high performing team? Hilton? Maybe he will move up to a 4 star. Maybe these guys are all late in bumping him up. I hope so. And even if he doesn't become a star on a team that goes deep in the NCAA tournament, he could still be a critical piece to a nice first recruiting class. I just don't know if it is reasonable to call this the best class of all time, yet.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

Stairs admitted he was wrong though, multiple times.

Also, wow that's impressive. Congrats.

Predicting Ollie would be fired, replaced with a dynamite coach who would assemble a powerhouse coaching staff, cut ties with Kisunas, Matthews and Akinjo, get two solid grad transfers, the brother of Jaylen Adams and start to build potentially the greatest and most important recruiting class in UConn history for 2019 all before October is no easy feat. It's almost as if you did no such thing.

Reaction Score
I am not a big fan of his being a big fan of our former coach but he isn't totally wrong here. As of right now, Gaffney is a 3 star recruit on rivals and not particularly high on any site. When was the last time we had a 3 star recruit become a major contributor to a high performing team? Hilton? Maybe he will move up to a 4 star. Maybe these guys are all late in bumping him up. I hope so. And even if he doesn't become a star on a team that goes deep in the NCAA tournament, he could still be a critical piece to a nice first recruiting class. I just don't know if it is reasonable to call this the best class of all time, yet.

Interesting take considering ESPN opened its related story with the following sentence:

Four-star point guard Jalen Gaffney made a verbal commitment to UConn on Monday after his official visit over the weekend.

Reaction Score
start to build potentially the greatest and most important recruiting class
We'd need to hit on all five for this to be true. I take your general point, but let's not overstate the class yet. Frankly, it almost certainly needs Achiuwa on it for it to be even close.

We had a class of Drummond-Daniels-Boat in Calhoun's last year. 247 has Drummond ranked oddly low (I remember him being consensus Top 5), but if my memory is right, they had two players (Daniels and Drummond) who are ranked higher than anyone we're after except Achiuwa (who would be equivalent to Drummond), in addition to Boatright, who is ranked higher than either of our guards.

I think this class has potentially to be very good. But UConn has had very good recruiting classes before.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom