Jalen Gaffney to UConn | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney to UConn

Reaction Score
The Providence board is so funny. "This isn't elite UConn anymore." We did win a title 4 years ago. They have won 1 tournament game in the last 21 years. One.

The narrative of the American is going away with recruits. Hurley is selling player development, exposure, and getting these guys to the league. This is what programs like Gonzaga do.

If Memphis gets multiple 5 stars (which it looks like they will) that also helps the league, and the perception of it.

It's weird to be rooting for them, but I am in this. I want them (and us) to be a monster.

Agreed that recruiting will drive the narrative change, but that hasn't happened and is going to take time. We need AAC teams consistently locking down top 25 classes for a few years. This starts with UConn and Memphis, but we could really use another couple teams stepping it up as well. The entire conference has had two "good" recruiting classes over the last four years (Memphis in '15 and us in '16) and neither panned out. Us and Memphis putting together top 10 classes this year would be HUGE.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
We land a recruit and some of you are in here comparing johnson sizes.

536.jpg
"We land a recruit and some of you are in here comparing johnson sizes"- Dwight Schrute
Identity theft is not a joke

Reaction Score
The nuances escape you. Like I am going to name a guy to help the shark schools while Hurley is working on arranging a close visit.
I'm not calling you a liar.

I'm just saying that your posting record is terrible and I could easily imitate it. Given that I never pretended I was with Andre Drummond when he was demonstrably elsewhere, I could do better.

Watch: my sources are suggesting that we may get one of these three recruits this weekend. Or maybe a mystery one that is none of them. I won't tell you which, and we may not, but watch out for beavers--they'll be fleeing the flood.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agreed that recruiting will drive the narrative change, but that hasn't happened and is going to take time. We need AAC teams consistently locking down top 25 classes for a few years. This starts with UConn and Memphis, but we could really use another couple teams stepping it up as well. The entire conference has had two "good" recruiting classes over the last four years (Memphis in '15 and us in '16) and neither panned out. Us and Memphis putting together top 10 classes this year would be HUGE.

UCONN/Memphis recruiting will help other schools. If we get legit good again, they can use the 'we play UCONN and Memphis twice a year on national tv' line.

We need 2 premier teams in the conference and then a bunch of good teams (like Cincy, Houston, et al). That's enough.

Reaction Score
UCONN/Memphis recruiting will help other schools. If we get legit good again, they can use the 'we play UCONN and Memphis twice a year on national tv' line.

We need 2 premier teams in the conference and then a bunch of good teams (like Cincy, Houston, et al). That's enough.
Memphis can be a very good basketball school. If UConn-Memphis-Cincy is your top three, that's a better--and smaller--conference than late-stage, pre-BE-expansion CUSA, which had #1 seeds and Final Four teams. (Cincy-2000, Marquette 2003, Louisville 2005).

A conference I want to be in? No.

But a conference you can recruit to and win in.

Reaction Score
So long as everyone retains their coaches, I see UCONN, Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston, and Wichita as perennial tourney teams with 1-2 of SMU, Tulsa, Temple, and UCF . In a league of 12, that's pretty good.

C

Chief00

So long as everyone retains their coaches, I see UCONN, Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston, and Wichita as perennial tourney teams with 1-2 of SMU, Tulsa, Temple, and UCF . In a league of 12, that's pretty good.

I forgot to mention Wichita - thanks. Been a busy few weeks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hmmm, we need a poll:

How many signed recruits will it take to silence the Chaters?

C

Chief00

I'm not calling you a liar.

I'm just saying that your posting record is terrible and I could easily imitate it. Given that I never pretended I was with Andre Drummond when he was demonstrably elsewhere, I could do better.

Watch: my sources are suggesting that we may get one of these three recruits this weekend. Or maybe a mystery one that is none of them. I won't tell you which, and we may not, but watch out for beavers--they'll be fleeing the flood.

Chief was the only one predicting in the summer of 2011 that Dre was going to UConn in Sept.
My track record speaks for itself - you sound pretty clueless.

Reaction Score
If precious comes, definite chance to one of the most important recruiting classes ever. Almost as important as boat and bazz deciding to stay at uconn even after post season sanctions were handed down in 2012/13. Don’t underestimate the importance of those guys sticking it out in a lame duck year and coming back to win a title in 2014. I will be forever grateful to those 2. Whereas other guys bounced(oriakhi, roscoe) , these two stayed. Much props to boat and bazz. I kno a bit off topic just thought I’d mention that. Can’t wait for this season to start.

Reaction Score
I'd say kofi is the least likely. He wants UK KU UNC to be more involved, but it isnt happening because his game isn't for an NBA style big man any more. If that offer does come hes gone.

Well, this post didn't age too well considering 2 of the 3 teams you mention were dropped by Cockburn today.

Reaction Score
Chief was the only one predicting in the summer of 2011 that Dre was going to UConn in Sept.
My track record speaks for itself - you sound pretty clueless.
And you were the only one pretending to hang out with him when he was demonstrably somewhere else.

Ray Allen and I hung out last night. Prove we didn't. You can't. I can prove you were where you said you that night, and all your excuses ring hollow.

Reaction Score
Well, this post didn't age too well considering 2 of the 3 teams you mention were dropped by Cockburn today.

List is a list. I guarantee those schools are being considered if they actually call.

Name of school is, by all indications, super important to kofi. One of the reasons we have a great chance--best name of those still recruiting him.

Reaction Score
Dre just texted me. He's on his way to Storrs for a charity game that kicks off at 11:11 Saturday. Terrible choice of start time by the University.

Reaction Score
Not that interesting. Rivals has him as a 3 star and not in their top 150. If ESPN has him as a 4 star then he is probably borderline on rivals. Where is he on the other sites?
I'm not too concerned about the ranking. Hurley and the staff targeted him as one of the kids they wanted in the fall. You have to believe they see something in him. This is not like taking leftovers and transfers in the spring. The kid has a lot of potential and hopefully the new staff can get the most out of him.

FWIW here is where he is ranked by the major recruiting services.

ESPN: 97. ESPN Basketball Recruiting - Player Rankings

247Sports: 133. 2019 Top Basketball Recruits

Rivals.com: Not ranked in the top 150. #26 ranked point guard which would put him around 160.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hurley and the staff targeted him as one of the kids they wanted in the fall. You have to believe they see something in him. This is not like taking leftovers and transfers in the spring.

That to me is the key. I don't care about numerical ranking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom