Jalen Carey | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't you post prior to the season even starting that you had a "source" that said he was never coming here?

I wasn't exactly trying to portray myself as some connected insider. I said that an assistant coach at PSA told me he would not attend Uconn.

Reaction Score
I wasn't exactly trying to portray myself as some connected insider. I said that an assistant coach at PSA told me he would not attend Uconn.
Ok so then I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how you can post that if UConn was ranked you would have no doubt Diallo would be Husky while posting months earlier that an assistant at his HS told you he would not attend UConn...but I guess the former position fits with the agenda being pushed in this thread.

Reaction Score
Ok so then I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how you can post that if UConn was ranked you would have no doubt Diallo would be Husky while posting months earlier that an assistant at his HS told you he would not attend UConn..but I guess the former position fits with the agenda being pushed in this thread.

Its an opinion. Maybe he was UK all the way but it sure as hell seems that something changed very late. I can't help but think our team having a trainwreck season affected his decision but like I said, just an opinion.

I didn't put a full stock into the comment considering I was a stranger to this coach, which I acknowledged when I posted here. It was a counter to the chatter that he was a lock back in June.

Reaction Score
Many of you have "connections" out there, but I honestly do not remember Diallo ever saying anything more positive about us than "UConn is recruiting me hard" and "I've been to the campus" a lot. Every single time someone would ask him about us leading, he would immediately shoot it down. So whatever the "experts" heard seems to be purely conjecture.
Well there was one time. The only time Diallo said more than that was when Diarra committed to UConn.

Meanwhile, Diarra's Woodstock teammate, Class of 2017 combo guard (and UConn target) Hamidou Diallo had this to say about where UConn stands with him right now:

“Right now, I’d have to say, if I were to commit, I would be going to UConn. That’s the school that’s been showing me the most love, and I have the best relationship with the head coach. For right now, though.”

The New Haven Register Blogs: UConn Men's Basketball Blog: Mamadou Diarra selects UConn; could Hamidou Diallo be next?

Someone then told him not to say things like that and we never heard anything that positive about any school until he committed to Kentucky.

C

Chief00

and yet UConn has recruited kids hard, battled to the end and landed them in the past.

Would you have them give up on Daniel Hamilton? Makai A-L? Ryan Boatright? Jeremy Lamb? Roscoe Smith? Stanley Robinson? Jerome Dyson? Andrew Bynum? Rudy Gay?

All these guys were fall or later commits.

Good question, so let me break it down and clarify the difference between recruiting hard for a commitment and going through the motion activity.

When you focus on the commitment everything is about making that happen as soon as possible. What you want to do is make an impression that differentiates UConn from the other schools - every players is different - some may like talking basketball with KO, sone are looking to get into the League, other want to have a good time.
When you take the other path - you spend years putting in time - going three deep - developing class schedule scenarios that only a Dean of Academic Affairs could admire and so on. That we would spend a large chunk of the time on Diallo's official visit going over his class schedule is a wasted opportunity. With the U.K. visit ahead that should have been all about putting on the uniform and getting him into the game @ the XL. Of course, he wasn't ready but that's irrelevant. Once on the court, the decision has been made.

Reactions: pj

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Your prior comments were about how public perception impacts the decisions of the NCAA tournament committee. Now you're trying to pretend like those comments were about high school recruiting? Brutal as always.
Man get lost. My comment was "Perception is reality", to which you went off on one of your standard rants about how everything is dandy and nothing has changed in the AAC outside of a coaching change and everyone except 7774 is a blithering moron. "Perception is reality" has been my position on conference afilliaition regarding all subjects be it NCAA seeding, scheduling, TV ratings, exposure or whatever from day 1, my very first post on this board was regarding the program's declining perception in the face of a changing landscape. You sir jumped at my 3 word comment to Tuna which at the time had nothing to do about the NCAA selection committee, your subsequent replies lead me to bring up 2014 seeding as one of several reasons for why life is worse off for UConn in the BE, and it wouldnt even really need to be said here if there weren't guys like you just crawling the board for the first post using the phrase "AAC" just to flip a lid. You're whole "made up none of this is real" defense that day was the only thing that was brutal, as always.

You are like the boneyard's version of a climate change denier.

C

Chief00

The fact that you think this is insight is what makes you Chief.
Notice I did not mention spending a good chunk of an official visit going over course catalogs and schedules. That's recruiting only Glen Miller can appreciate.

H

huskymagic

Chief worry about the head coach not the assistant coach. Diabolical never really wanted to come to UCONN he always had Kentucky in mind if he was going to college, we were second fiddle the whole way when he blew up.

Getting back to the topic at hand. If Ollie can't get a guy like Jalen Carey or AJ Reeves, who the hell can he get going forward that's any good? Not surprising the longer we stay in the AAC and the longer Ollie keeps flubbing around and not sending anybody in the NBA 1st round, the worst the situation will get. We definitely need Jalen Adams to be a 1st round pick and hopefully Amida makes an NBA roster as well. Is this and Donny Marshall's FOX tirade the harbinger for our transition to the new Big East. We should be working with Cinci on a package deal to the new Big East. That would make the Big East on par with the ACC and force ESPN and FOX in a bidding war for TV rights. We need to be proactive.

PS: UCONN Return to the BEAST

H

huskymagic

Jalen Carey performs well at the Primetime Shootout - Speaks on the latest with his recruitment

“I saw Coach Calipari, I think I saw Georgetown and UConn and Seton Hall told me they were coming,” he said. “I tried to put on a show for those coaches, but most of all get a win.”

Kevin Ollie and the UConn Huskies have started to build a relationship with the class of 2018 prospect.

“UConn has been hitting me up often,” said Carey. “I spoke to Kevin Ollie and he is the one who offered me. I like the way they play and I obviously need to get onto their campus. Hopefully I go and get more familiar with the coaches when I get there.”

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
@temery can we lock this thread please? Turning into a cluster. I thought we were trying to avoid these long recruiting threads. And I haven't seen Jalen Carey mentioned in 3 pages.

I have no idea how Chief is still allowed to post on this board. He derails EVERY SINGLE thread until it becomes nonsense.

Reaction Score
Jalen Carey performs well at the Primetime Shootout - Speaks on the latest with his recruitment

“I saw Coach Calipari, I think I saw Georgetown and UConn and Seton Hall told me they were coming,” he said. “I tried to put on a show for those coaches, but most of all get a win.”

Kevin Ollie and the UConn Huskies have started to build a relationship with the class of 2018 prospect.

“UConn has been hitting me up often,” said Carey. “I spoke to Kevin Ollie and he is the one who offered me. I like the way they play and I obviously need to get onto their campus. Hopefully I go and get more familiar with the coaches when I get there.”

You hammer KO then send out a somewhat positive note on him. You're beyond whacked and clueless. Just the fact you're waiting for AB to be on an NBA roster shows the extent of your cluelessness. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
@temery can we lock this thread please? Turning into a cluster. I thought we were trying to avoid these long recruiting threads. And I haven't seen Jalen Carey mentioned in 3 pages.

I have no idea how Chief is still allowed to post on this board. He derails EVERY SINGLE thread until it becomes nonsense.

Sorry I derailed more with the magic-man - he kills me my bad 916

Reaction Score
Man get lost. My comment was "Perception is reality", to which you went off on one of your standard rants about how everything is dandy and nothing has changed in the AAC outside of a coaching change and everyone except 7774 is a blithering moron. "Perception is reality" has been my position on conference afilliaition regarding all subjects be it NCAA seeding, scheduling, TV ratings, exposure or whatever from day 1, my very first post on this board was regarding the program's declining perception in the face of a changing landscape. You sir jumped at my 3 word comment to Tuna which at the time had nothing to do about the NCAA selection committee, your subsequent replies lead me to bring up 2014 seeding as one of several reasons for why life is worse off for UConn in the BE, and it wouldnt even really need to be said here if there weren't guys like you just crawling the board for the first post using the phrase "AAC" just to flip a lid. You're whole "made up none of this is real" defense that day was the only thing that was brutal, as always.

You are like the boneyard's version of a climate change denier.
Your continued bizarre distortion of my position on this subject is always interesting. I did enjoy you telling me to get lost after you tagged me in this thread to get me involved in the first place.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Your continued bizarre distortion of my position on this subject is always interesting. I did enjoy you telling me to get lost after you tagged me in this thread to get me involved in the first place.
Alright, I'll see you at your next outburst.

Reaction Score
Alright, I'll see you at your next outburst.
Yeah, maybe. Are you going to be able to discuss my actual points next time, or is it going to be more of your usual laundry list of non sequiturs and opinions masked as facts? I'll probably have to pass if it's the latter.

Reaction Score
Yeah, maybe. Are you going to be able to discuss my actual points next time, or is it going to be more of your usual laundry list of non sequiturs and opinions masked as facts? I'll probably have to pass if it's the latter.

It would be fascinating to see you two converse in public. I'm definitely a culprit of this on here, but it really shows how people can be pretty pugnacious online compared to in person. I bet at work, at games etc. you both are pretty non-confrontational people.

Now on to Jalen Carey... I wouldn't be surprised if he shot up the rankings. Looks like the kid played really well against Roselle recently and has been on a bit of a tear with improved shooting. Still skinny, but I like what I see. I'd be happy to get one of him or David Duke to fill the 2-spot for us.

What are our options at PG? Seems like Ollie has gone after one every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom