Jalen Carey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Lack of development by players is what I heard

Any recruit who believe that is the type of idiot who deserves to end up with the slimeball salesman who in fact doesn't develop players but is great at slandering better coaches. I'm looking at you, Hamidou Diallo.

Reaction Score
You think ollies a bad coach ???
Could become a great coach but he is a major work in progress. I think with the perfect set of players for his pro system he can be great, he hasn't really had that the past few years and I think he's been a bit exposed because of it. He coached his butt off his first two seasons and outcoached Wright, Izzo, Donovan and Calipari in the tournament. Since then his coaching has been mediocre, with a couple glaring weaknesses.

H

huskymagic

I don't like our chances with anybody right now since the hami disaster . When talking to people I'm not getting much excitement around UConn. Top tier kids don't want to play in the AAC and I've heard a lot of negative around Ollie's coaching from a few sources. There is a lot of negative recruiting toward UConn

If Ollie can't get a guy like Jalen Carey or AJ Reeves, who the hell can he get? Not surprising the longer we stay in the AAC and the longer Ollie keeps flubbing around and not sending anybody in the NBA 1st round, the worst the situation will get. We definitely need Jalen Adams to be a 1st round pick and hopefully Amida makes an NBA roster as well. Is this and Donny Marshall's FOX tirade the harbinger for our transition to the new Big East. We should be working with Cinci on a package deal to the new Big East. That would make the Big East on par with the ACC and force ESPN and FOX in a bidding war for TV rights. We need to be proactive.

PS: UCONN Return to the BEAST

Reaction Score
Any recruit who believe that is the type of idiot who deserves to end up with the slimeball salesman who in fact doesn't develop players but is great at slandering better coaches. I'm looking at you, Hamidou Diallo.
It needs to he fixed, if kids are believing it the impression needs to he changed.

Reaction Score
Overreactions and assumptions are running rampant here. We've seen terrible coaches recruit very well for long periods of time, and KO is sill more accomplished than most coaches he's recruiting against. Diallo was a tough L, but I'm not worried about Ollie's recruiting.

He's actually coached very well over the last couple of months. UConn has been one of the best teams in the country out of time outs. If we make the tournament with this roster, he'll be getting a ton of praise, and we'll see the other side of the hyperbole. Last year's team ended up 26th in Kenpom's ratings. Ollie has plenty of ammunition to counter any recruits' doubts, and he's a very charismatic person. I'll believe that his recruiting is suffering when I see it.

Reaction Score
I don't like our chances with anybody right now since the hami disaster . When talking to people I'm not getting much excitement around UConn. Top tier kids don't want to play in the AAC and I've heard a lot of negative around Ollie's coaching from a few sources. There is a lot of negative recruiting toward UConn

This is the problem with losing Diallo.

If we landed him, all of that talk goes away if kids see a top 10 stud commit.

Reaction Score
Well that's pretty depressing

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Glengarry-Glen-Ross-DI.jpg

Reaction Score
Facey is substantially better. Brimah has started to rebound better (6.1 rpg this year, vs 3.0 as a freshman and 4.4-4.6 as soph & junior).
Therein lies the problem, it took Facey over three seasons to discover his game and over three seasons for Brimah to start to learn how to rebound.

Reaction Score
Mauconnfan - Make your case that our Bigs have developed the last few years.

Not on the staff Chief and I know you know enough basketball to see that. No one was making Brimah better, even now with better rebounding he does so many dumb things in a game. He should be a 15/12/4 guy and the fact he's not is all on him and his ability to learn the game. Same with Kentan but he did get it finally this year also, lights went off wasn't suddenly better coaching c'mon!

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
@7774 What's your BS meter thinking about this right now? Made up?

Reaction Score
I think some of the perceived shortcomings of KO in terms of developing Brimah and Facey can be placed on the players instead of Ollie. This isn't meant as a knock on their attitude or work ethic at all. Love both of them. But, both started playing basketball very late in their youth, and therefore didn't develop the good habits and instincts that come from playing in grade school and are conducive to improvement, and this is despite the immense physical gifts both guys have.

In no way am I trying to bash either player; I'm very thankful they've been Huskies. I love that they've both figured it out this year (especially Facey!). They contributed to the '14 title run, and they helped hold down the fort while we transitioned from the Kemba-Shabazz teams to what I hope is another run of excellence under Jalen-Gilbert-MAL. But, at the end of the day, for all the physical tools they had, and there are plenty, the cards were stacked against either one developing into an All-American type player.

I think a better test to Ollie's development may be Enoch. He's as we know super, super young, and again has a bevy of physical gifts that can make him a monster if he harnesses them with help from KO. He's also been playing basketball since he was a child, not when he outgrew soccer. The jury is still out, admittedly, but there are signs of positive developments in Enoch. I'd love to see him be a monster next year and put this narrative that Ollie can't develop bigs to rest (and because having a competent post player is the the only glaring hole in next year's unit).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think some of the perceived shortcomings of KO in terms of developing Brimah and Facey can be placed on the players instead of Ollie. This isn't meant as a knock on their attitude or work ethic at all. Love both of them. But, both started playing basketball very late in their youth, and therefore didn't develop the good habits and instincts that come from playing in grade school and are conducive to improvement, and this is despite the immense physical gifts both guys have.

In no way am I trying to bash either player; I'm very thankful they've been Huskies. I love that they've both figured it out this year (especially Facey!). They contributed to the '14 title run, and they helped hold down the fort while we transitioned from the Kemba-Shabazz teams to what I hope is another run of excellence under Jalen-Gilbert-MAL. But, at the end of the day, for all the physical tools they had, and there are plenty, the cards were stacked against either one developing into an All-American type player.

I think a better test to Ollie's development may be Enoch. He's as we know super, super young, and again has a bevy of physical gifts that can make him a monster if he harnesses them with help from KO. He's also been playing basketball since he was a child, not when he outgrew soccer. The jury is still out, admittedly, but there are signs of positive developments in Enoch. I'd love to see him be a monster next year and put this narrative that Ollie can't develop bigs to rest (and because having a competent post player is the the only glaring hole in next year's unit).
Steve started late as well. All three bigs were APR sanction recruits.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Therein lies the problem, it took Facey over three seasons to discover his game and over three seasons for Brimah to start to learn how to rebound.

Facey's problem was that as a sophomore he was used out of position and not as a 4 primarily, and as a jr. was behind Miller, who commanded 30+ mpg. He's finally gotten the playing time at his natural position.

Brimah has a limited ceiling because of poor hands and poor lower body strength. He's developed as much as he possibly could - he is what he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom