Jalen Adams haters where you at? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams haters where you at?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
look at his stats before the injury

Look at his stats from last season. Jalen should have played better this year, he had a comparable year to last year.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Jalen led the aac in Asia few years ago. You can’t rack up dimes if guys can’t score. Hence his hero ball in year 3

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Jalen led the aac in Asia few years ago. You can’t rack up dimes if guys can’t score. Hence his hero ball in year 3
He didn't play hero ball this season, quite the opposite.

Reaction Score
I do have to wonder how he will fare against a more athletic and physical USF team.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He didn't play hero ball this season, quite the opposite.

He was talking about last year. But that was a result of two big injuries and a lot of inexperience.

Jalen's had to play a lot of hero ball in his career, given the marked deficiencies up and down the roster. It's probably hurt his game. All that said, he's still put up very good assist numbers.

Reaction Score
He was talking about last year. But that was a result of two big injuries and a lot of inexperience.

Jalen's had to play a lot of hero ball in his career, given the marked deficiencies up and down the roster. It's probably hurt his game. All that said, he's still put up very good assist numbers.
Sorry @MervthePurvis, my reading comprehension sucks.

Reaction Score
Look at his stats from last season. Jalen should have played better this year, he had a comparable year to last year.

He indisputably played better this year. If you're looking at stats that said he played the same, you're looking at the wrong stats. He increased both his usage AND his efficiency (which is a multiplicative effect). He had fewer assists, but he was playing alongside Gilbert. His 2pt% especially spiked hard up and he was shooting almost 40% from 3 in conference play.

He just didn't play enough. And he still didn't get to the foul line....

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
He indisputably played better this year. If you're looking at stats that said he played the same, you're looking at the wrong stats. He increased both his usage AND his efficiency (which is a multiplicative effect). He had fewer assists, but he was playing alongside Gilbert. His 2pt% especially spiked hard up and he was shooting almost 40% from 3 in conference play.

1552338305028.png

By the eye test yes he played better but the numbers say he played slightly better. I'm not sure how I got branded a Jalen hater. I look at it without the blue colored glasses Jalen Adams should have been better this season.

Reaction Score

It's hard to remember everything from the past few years but my memory tells me outside of being more efficient this season he was slightly better before this year. I remember him having some more explosive games where he took over in the past and more hollow 10 point scoring outbursts when the game was already over this season. Yesterday was great to see, I forgot what it looked like to see him having fun playing basketball and not looking spent.

Reaction Score
View attachment 40802

By the eye test yes he played better but the numbers say he played slightly better. I'm not sure how I got branded a Jalen hater. I look at it without the blue colored glasses Jalen Adams should have been better this season.

Your original quote I replied to said:

As I said before, it's not arguable that he played only a similar quality season to last. But even beyond that I would definitely argue with your assertion that the numbers say he played only slightly better: a 60% increase in his WS/48 and 86% increase in his BPM is just plain "better."

He increased his shooting in all 3 phases by significant values (80->86 FT%, 48->56 2PT%, 32->36 3PT%). while taking the same (high) percentage of the team's shots.

If you're arguing that a 4-year senior 5* recruit PG should be better than he was this year, I'd probably agree. He was very good, not great this year. But he did show significant improvement last year to this year. The problem was that he didn't improve enough last year over his sophomore season (I'm on record about that). He also seemingly couldn't keep a specific improvement year to year and build on it without regression. He improved his shooting and playmaking as a sophomore, but he had trouble finishing in the paint and with turnovers. He improved his turnovers and finishing as a junior, but struggled with shooting. This year, he regressed a bit with turnovers (and his role reduced his playmaking for others), but his improvement in shooting was enough to vastly overshadow that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's hard to remember everything from the past few years but my memory tells me outside of being more efficient this season he was slightly better before this year. I remember him having some more explosive games where he took over in the past and more hollow 10 point scoring outbursts when the game was already over this season. Yesterday was great to see, I forgot what it looked like to see him having fun playing basketball and not looking spent.

I'm not going to go look to see when his points occurred in each game, but he had 11 games of 20+ points in 24 games played this year (45%) and 12 such occasions in 30 games last year (40%). So he was a more consistent scorer this year in general.

5 of the 11 20+ scores this year came in the 9 losses (not counting Temple) he played in, vs. 6 in 14 wins. This might be evidence of irrelevant points, but he only had 8 points in our biggest blowout loss this year (Villanova). It could also just mean he tried to force the issue more in games where he knew we were overmatched in talent otherwise, which would not necessarily make his points hollow.

He averaged an 118 ORTG in wins this year and 98 ORTG in losses. That's a pretty straight-forward correlation (and by definition applies to all players on all teams in aggregate), but would seem to suggest that if he did get easy points/boosted his efficiency in unassailable contests, it was either when in front (but the 20+ point stat refutes that) or he played so much worse before the freebies that he still looked that much worse in losses.

I think this is likely confirmation bias. Our brains are terribly fickle.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jalen might be the best UCONN senior not to make the NCAA tournament.....and possibly the best senior in the NCAA not in the tourney.....what a colossal disappointment for Jalen and our Huskies.

Reaction Score
I don’t if it was the 4 weeks off being injured or actually realizing that his college career was coming to an end but this last game against albeit ecu JA looked the most focused to me this season. He didn’t come out like a scoring machine, but he actually showed his all around game. During the season he compiled a good part of his points while we were losing and the game was pretty much in the bag. IMO he played nowhere his potential or near what we needed as a senior leader of our damaged team. That win against Cuse definitely put my hopes up way too high. Im disappointed with this season but also trying to stay optimistic for our future.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I was going to post the same Mau until I saw yours. Since Jalen put on a UConn uniform, I never heard anybody hating this kid. Questions? Concerns? Sure that could be anybody on the team. But he word HATE and the lackluster phrase "Haters are going to hate" should somehow be banned. It is a ridiculous and immature statement. You cannot questions something without being a hater? Give me a break.

The words "hate" and "hater" have been used prolifically and irresponsibly for a number of years now. Primarily by those who can't or won't constructively discuss/debate an issue.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to go look to see when his points occurred in each game, but he had 11 games of 20+ points in 24 games played this year (45%) and 12 such occasions in 30 games last year (40%). So he was a more consistent scorer this year in general.

5 of the 11 20+ scores this year came in the 9 losses (not counting Temple) he played in, vs. 6 in 14 wins. This might be evidence of irrelevant points, but he only had 8 points in our biggest blowout loss this year (Villanova). It could also just mean he tried to force the issue more in games where he knew we were overmatched in talent otherwise, which would not necessarily make his points hollow.

He averaged an 118 ORTG in wins this year and 98 ORTG in losses. That's a pretty straight-forward correlation (and by definition applies to all players on all teams in aggregate), but would seem to suggest that if he did get easy points/boosted his efficiency in unassailable contests, it was either when in front (but the 20+ point stat refutes that) or he played so much worse before the freebies that he still looked that much worse in losses.

I think this is likely confirmation bias. Our brains are terribly fickle.

Why even bother. You are talking to a brick wall.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Jalen Adams should be better than he is. It seems like saying that makes someone a hater. He also hasn’t been the leader he’s needed to be. It’s not like he’s a bad player, he just had the potential to be more than he became here.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
There were a bunch of people when Jalen got benched and others when he got hurt that basically said "Good riddance." THOSE are the haters that this post is directed at. You can criticize Jalen for not meeting his full potential, for sure, but the people that acted like this team would be better off without him or that he's not the best player on the team are who this thread is targeting.

Reaction Score
I've been critical of Jalen but I'm not a hater. In fact, I always keep it 4hunnid.

I've defended Jalen on the suggestion that he's a punk, doesn't work hard, etc. He's actually a very good kid with a personality that his teammates and coaches love. Also, he worked very hard in the second half of his college career.

My problem with him was that he didn't improve his handle and outside jump shot enough throughout his time at UConn. But his talent is still immense, and it was so great to see him play with such joy the other day. He deserves to have fun playing basketball. There were too many games in his career that weren't fun, and most were not his fault.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom