Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn) | Page 46 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
any opinions on the sports illustrated article of top 16 squads to not win nc2a title?

disses many great UCONN clubs by omission

see the comments to counteract poor authorship? who be huskyjonathan

Reaction Score
He's a beast and he will be great here. What's it like to root for a team with a bad point guard? I don't even remember.

Reaction Score
The continuity and run of our point guards has been pretty remarkable...

Basically since JC got here (with some overlap on the "dual PG" setup)...

Tate George 4 year starter (1st round pick)
Chris Smith 3 year starter (2nd round pick)
KO 3 year starter (nba 13 year career)
Sheffer 3 year starter (2nd round pick/israel)
Ricky 3 year starter
Khalid 3 year starter (2nd round pick)
Taliek 4 year starter
Ben 2 year starter (lottery pick)
Marcus 2 year starter (1st round pick)
AJ 3 year starter (2nd round pick)
Kemba 2 year starter (lottery pick)
Shabazz 3 year starter (1st round pick)
Boat 3 year starter (???)
Jalen Adams...

That's pretty sick. Jalen is going to be a star here.

Reaction Score
I love me some JA but could you refresh my memory on the other 45 reasons

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
He is so in tune with the current squad and really cannot wait to be a husky. What I love most about Jalen is how much he loves UConn. He also has a growing relationship with Purv, which is great for backcourt chemistry next year. Imagine a lineup of Adams, Purvis, Hamilton, Stone, Brimah. Oh my god.

Reaction Score
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/post?id=12662
FIVE BEST SIGNEES

i
1. Jalen Adams, Brewster Academy, signed with UConn

Adams (No. 25 in ESPN 100) has been an undersized scorer for most of his career but is now showing more and more signs of being able to slide over to the lead guard spot at the next level, which should allow him to step right in for Ryan Boatright upon arriving at UConn.

i
2. Justin Simon, Brewster Academy, signed with Arizona

Simon (No. 27 in ESPN 100) is more import than export to the preps. He was a well known before he arrived at Brewster, but he has freakish length and phenomenal defensive instincts that will be on par with Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, all while adding great size, vision and distributing skills at the point.

3. Donovan Mitchell, Brewster Academy, signed with Louisville

Brewster Academy’s third-ranked guard in the ESPN 100 (No. 38), Mitchell has been developed in the prep ranks from Day 1, and that helped him emerge as one of the biggest summer stock-risers in the country this year. Now he joins the likes of Montrezl Harrell, Russ Smith and Luke Hancock as former prep products to be scooped up by Rick Pitino.

4. Tyler Lydon, New Hampton School, signed with Syracuse

Lydon (No. 49 in ESPN 100) came off the board early to Syracuse, pledging in the first half of his junior year. A lot of that had to do with the fact that he was bound to blow up quickly after arriving at New Hampton with his size, length, underrated motor and budding skill set.

5. Danjel Purifoy, Hargrave Military Academy, signed with Auburn

The physical tools of Purifoy (No. 67 in ESPN 100) make him an ideal fit for Bruce Pearl’s style of play, and while his reputation was intact before arriving at Hargrave, he’s taken his game to new levels by dramatically improving his skils and ability to shoot the ball from the perimeter.

UNDER-THE-RADAR SIGNEES

Aaron Falzon, Northfield-Mt. Hermon School, signed with Northwestern

Stanford bound big man Josh Sharma (No. 75 in ESPN 100) is the highest-ranked prospect at the school, but Falzon (No. 91) is a highly skilled forward who will have a clear niche at the next level with his ability to shoot the ball from behind the 3-point line and will be an immediate and consistent weapon in Chris Collins’ offense.

Elijah Burns, Blair Academy, signed with Nortre Dame

He’s just outside the ESPN 100 and already signed, so most people haven’t taken notice of the recent strides in his game, but he’s expanding his skill set to the perimeter while maintaining his power in the paint. Suddenly he looks like a four-year impact player and multiple-year starter for the Irish.

BEST AVAILABLE PROSPECTS

JaQuan Lyle, IMG Academy

The former Oregon signee was the No. 42 prospect in 2014, and while he isn’t eligible in 2015, he’s nonetheless one of the best available prospects in the country heading into the late signing period. Oregon is fighting to get him back, but Ben Simmons (No. 1 in 2015) and Antonio Blakeney (No. 14) are actively recruiting him to join them at LSU.

Kobe Eubanks, Elev8 Academy

Eubanks was initially committed to Baylor in 2014, and he's been one of the biggest standouts of the early prep season as a big wing who can score from all over the floor. He’s considering Georgia, Oregon, Connecticut, Missouri, Providence, Louisville, Kansas, South Florida, Maryland and Virginia Tech.

Khyri Thomas, Fork Union Military Academy

Thomas is similar to Michigan freshman Aubrey Dawkins -- who was under-recruited last year at New Hampton -- in that he’s a bigger, skilled guard who won’t do anything fancy to jump out at you, but is well suited to play within an offensive structure at the next level. Creighton is among his top suitors.

Jeremy Harris, Fishburne Military School

The one-time Coastal Carolina pledge never signed his letter of intent and that turned out to be a good decision when he was one of the top performers at the National Prep Showcase to open the season. Now the big lefty wing is drawing interest from high major schools with his length, athleticism and ability to make 3s.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Undersized at the 2 in today's college game. Not at the 1.

Eh, you won't make millions as a 6'2" 2-guard but it's probably median height at the college level. Maybe a little-below average but not small.

Reaction Score
When's the last time UConn had a starting freshman PG at the beginning of the season? It had to be a while ago.

caw

Reaction Score
When's the last time UConn had a starting freshman PG at the beginning of the season? It had to be a while ago.

Taliek Brown - Freshman 1999-2000

2001-2004 - So-Sr Taliek Brown
2005 - So. Marcus Williams (Williams only played a handful of games in 2004)
2006 - Jr. Marcus Williams
2007 - RS Jr. AJ Price (Price hadn't played at UConn prior but he wasn't a freshman)
2008 - RS Sr. AJ Price
2009 - 5th year AJ Price
2010 - So. Walker
2011 - Jr. Walker
2012 - So. Napier (note that Boat did start quite a bit after he was cleared, Napier was the PG though)
2013 - Jr. Napier
2014 - Sr. Napier
2015 - Sr. Boatright

Obviously prior to Brown was El-Amin who started as a freshman PG. Every single one of those PGs had a chance to play in a final four, Williams is the only one who didn't (due to his mid season suspension his freshman year). Of the past 6 PGs only Brown didn't play at all in the NBA (Boat is obviously still in school).

Last edited:

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
Yep, This elite bloodline of point guards that started with AG will end with Boat. That's about seven years of excellent lead guards - AG , Kemba , Shabazz and Boat. 1 final four and two championships . Thats insane success . Hopefully Adams can grandfather his own line.

Reaction Score
HungryHuskies said:

Price, basically (he was a soph officially since he lost a year to suspension). If he hadn't been suspended, he would have been a double medical redshirt and been able to play four.

Reaction Score
Went to a Brewster Academy Home game last night against Vermont Academy. With Jalen Adams (UConn), Donovan Mitchell (Louisville), Justin Simon (Arizona), and Crisp (Washington), Brewster has a better back court than most top 30 college teams. Energy, skill, defensive intensity, offensive rebound tenacity, shot blocking from the guards above the rim, shooting, ball handling, unselfish play, speed, it was a treat. Jalen Adams leads when required. Absolutely he will be a foundation for UConn to build on. 0% chance that his skills fail to translate to high major college play on day 1. Athleticism comparable to Boatright, with game comparable to Shabazz. Shabazzlike clever assists. Stripped of the ball once at mid court, he fought like a demon, blocked the breakaway, contested a followup, came away with the rebound, and scored at the other end.

Mitchell is Purvis with a high motor, Crisp seems like a small throw in to the line up until he jumps and shoots, Simon is a 6'5 Hamilton type. Add in their 6'8 widebody big (Georgetown), who hit 3 threes in the first half, and they have a nice team. Also a Wisconsin recruit 6'6ish and a Virginia recruit that didn't play. Their big who shot outside (Fredrikkson?) did shoot a bit of a set shot, but he hit them all. Looking forward to their game next week in Springfield vs Montverde.

Vermont Academy had class of 2016 core players. 2 ranked in the top 100. Bruce Brown was a nice Terrance Samuel type guard with a big offensive game. No idea on the points but 30 wouldn't surprise me. A scorer more than a pure shooter. Tyrique(???) was a 6'7 player for them that was a gamer. The foreign sophomore big man (Mathias?) is huge and has some power skills and poise. He hit a jump shot and wasn't out of place in the high speed game. He powered the ball at the hoop and scored a couple of other times. He could loose 20lbs and turn his body into a mountain the next couple years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
While that sounds like a hell of a team.. I'm pretty sure most of the top 30 teams in the country currently have a better backcourt. I'd go out on a limb and suggest a lot of teams outside the top 30 have a better backcourt... maybe UConn even.

Reaction Score
While that sounds like a hell of a team.. I'm pretty sure most of the top 30 teams in the country currently have a better backcourt. I'd go out on a limb and suggest a lot of teams outside the top 30 have a better backcourt... maybe UConn even.

Its true that a backcourt of high school seniors wouldn't outperform veteran college backcourts in a game today, but I can't think of too many backcourts in college with 3 kids ranked in the top 30. In 3 years, the fact that these guys played together in the same HS backcourt is going to look absurd.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Tyrique Jones is from Bloomfield. I'd love to see if Ollie can get in on bringing him and Brown (they've talked about a package deal).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Its true that a backcourt of high school seniors wouldn't outperform veteran college backcourts in a game today, but I can't think of too many backcourts in college with 3 kids ranked in the top 30. In 3 years, the fact that these guys played together in the same HS backcourt is going to look absurd.

Eh don't count the chickens before the hatcheroo.

It's just as likely you look back 3 years from now wondering how none panned out.

Reaction Score
Tyrique Jones is from Bloomfield. I'd love to see if Ollie can get in on bringing him and Brown (they've talked about a package deal).
We're reportedly in on Jones, and are his "dream school."

I'm not certain we've made an official offer to him. Maybe 3, 99 or Zion can clarify.

Great work from the original poster, by the way. Now get to a St. Thomas More game and tell us how Enoch's doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom