Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn) | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why "hate" to say that? Knight was, both per minute and overall rate, the best rebounder we've had in the last 30 years. If we get another Travis in this class we should all be pumped.

Huh? Okafor outrebounded Knight in both metrics. Okafor's career per game rate was 10.6, while Knight never topped 9.3 for a season, and Okafor's per 40 rate was 13.3 to Knight's 13.0. Fun fact: in admittedly limited minutes, Marcus White's rebounding rate was better than both, at more than 14/40 minutes.

Reaction Score
So Stone already has a huge ego? I believe it was also you saying Phil Nolan is selfish, making negative judgements on teenagers you don't know personally is not a good look.

I've never said a negative word about Phil Nolan.
And I make judgements based on what I see. I have seen countless interviews with Stone where he acts as if he is Wilt Chamberlain. Even with Newman it's him in the foreground. It's not a bad thing; especially when he gets to the league and needs it. He is biding his time before a paycheck that's my only real argument for not wanting h8m.

Reaction Score
We have had some great players and rebounders.
Travis was good enough to get a minimal contract in the NBA .
Remember Donny was making more than him.
He also showed enough in his first stint to get a great contract from Pitino.
When we get a high school kid we are not sure they could play at our level never mind at an NBA level.
So even if Travis isn't Okofor ,if this kid can play at his level we will take him in a heart beat.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Huh? Okafor outrebounded Knight in both metrics. Okafor's career per game rate was 10.6, while Knight never topped 9.3 for a season, and Okafor's per 40 rate was 13.3 to Knight's 13.0. Fun fact: in admittedly limited minutes, Marcus White's rebounding rate was better than both, at more than 14/40 minutes.

That tells you all you need to know about rebounding rate stats.

And comparing Knight to Okafor isn't fair. Oak was a first team AA, the NPOY (if we are being real, Jameer was not) and one of the best centers to ever play the college game (imo)

Reaction Score
How far along is the practice facility?

Since I left campus in early May it looked like it was all but done on the outside. Not sure about the inside but it looks legit and I think they said it should be ready for the Fall.

Reaction Score
Since I left campus in early May it looked like it was all but done on the outside. Not sure about the inside but it looks legit and I think they said it should be ready for the Fall.
The outside can be a little misleading as the inside finishing work takes a lot of time. Still, it looks like we are seeing the completion.

Reaction Score
Thanks, man. Haven't yet linked it here yet, but I'm doing that now.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm already excited. Thank you as always sir

Reaction Score
That tells you all you need to know about rebounding rate stats.

And comparing Knight to Okafor isn't fair. Oak was a first team AA, the NPOY (if we are being real, Jameer was not) and one of the best centers to ever play the college game (imo)

I'm not the one who brought the stat up. Matrim55 mentioned it to "prove" that Knight was, and I quote, "the best rebounder we've had in the last 30 years." Okafor was better by both measures he cited. White was also better by rebounding rate, though in a limited number of minutes. I don't think that discredits the stat; White was an incredible rebounder. He just had no other discernible basketball skills, which is why he found himself pushed out of the rotation.

I also want to stress how much I agree with you about Okafor being robbed of the NPOY by sentimental voters who have no concept of value or skill or anything. Okafor was #1 in the country in WS with 9.9. Second place was Michael Wilkinson with 8.0. Jameer Nelson was 13th, at 6.6.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would guess one would need to be careful if they were to "drop a cuse"………after all we know it's exiting early!!:oops:
It's okay, at Cuse they're plenty good at plugging things up in an emergency

20120308-123818.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm not the one who brought the stat up. Matrim55 mentioned it to "prove" that Knight was, and I quote, "the best rebounder we've had in the last 30 years." Okafor was better by both measures he cited...
I should have been more clear: best rebounder during his career as a starter.

Travis's last two years, he averaged 14.2 rebounds per 40 and 14.8 per 40.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/travis-knight-1.html#all_players_advanced

Emeka's last two years, he averaged 13.6 and 14.2 per 40:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/emeka-okafor-1.html

I'm unable to find (at the moment) the rebounding rate, which is "total percentage of rebounds grabbed while on the floor," but IIRC Knight was around 24% as a senior, while Emeka was just below that.

Emeka's career stats are better, since he was dominant on the boards right out of the gates. Travis, obviously, struggled until about the middle of his sophomore year.

Again: we should ALL hope that the next center we land is the next Emeka. But if we "only" manage the next Travis, we will be in damn good shape.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm not the one who brought the stat up. Matrim55 mentioned it to "prove" that Knight was, and I quote, "the best rebounder we've had in the last 30 years." Okafor was better by both measures he cited. White was also better by rebounding rate, though in a limited number of minutes. I don't think that discredits the stat; White was an incredible rebounder. He just had no other discernible basketball skills, which is why he found himself pushed out of the rotation.

I also want to stress how much I agree with you about Okafor being robbed of the NPOY by sentimental voters who have no concept of value or skill or anything. Okafor was #1 in the country in WS with 9.9. Second place was Michael Wilkinson with 8.0. Jameer Nelson was 13th, at 6.6.

The things I don't like about the per 40 stats: doesn't take into account when (eg crunch time vs garbage time) a player plays, who on the other squad they are playing against (eg scrubs vs stars), and performance related to time on the floor. Presumably someone who plays for 15 minutes is much more fresh in terms of energy than someone who plays for 30min. You'd think the rate should be a little higher for the same player in less amount of minutes, given that rebounds are often a function of energy and focus, both of which deteriorate with more minutes played.

On your second point, we could say similar things about Kemba vs Jimmy(er) Chitwood. KW was a so much better all around player it wasn't even close. And his personal and team's performance during the post season showed that in exemplary fashion.

Reaction Score
The things I don't like about the per 40 stats: doesn't take into account when (eg crunch time vs garbage time) a player plays, who on the other squad they are playing against (eg scrubs vs stars), and performance related to time on the floor. Presumably someone who plays for 15 minutes is much more fresh in terms of energy than someone who plays for 30min. You'd think the rate should be a little higher for the same player in less amount of minutes, given that rebounds are often a function of energy and focus, both of which deteriorate with more minutes played.

On your second point, we could say similar things about Kemba vs Jimmy(er) Chitwood. KW was a so much better all around player it wasn't even close. And his personal and team's performance during the post season showed that in exemplary fashion.

I don't know if it's been studied enough to make any conclusions about college basketball, but I know that in the NBA researchers have concluded that increasing a player's minutes does not negatively impact their per minute production.

Reaction Score
We just lost a 5 recruit to Georgetown because of their great history of Bigmen.
Although we are known for our production of guards and wings our Big man history isn't too shabby.
Cliff Robinson
Sellers
Travis
Jake
Emeka
Thabeet
Andre
All except for AD were not Highly regarded as recruits and most made significant money playing BB
What bigs that weren't already top prospects were developed at GT?

Reaction Score
We just lost a 5 recruit to Georgetown because of their great history of Bigmen.
Although we are known for our production of guards and wings our Big man history isn't too shabby.
Cliff Robinson
Sellers
Travis
Jake
Emeka
Thabeet
Andre
All except for AD were not Highly regarded as recruits and most made significant money playing BB
What bigs that weren't already top prospects were developed at GT?

Yes, but other than Andre none of those guys were/are really well known players to the 17 year old big recruit. Cliffy was a really a stretch 4/big 3, Emeka had two solid years but really hasn't been anything special, and the others were roster fillers. Andre, hopefully, will be the guy incoming recruits gravitate towards. GTown can say that we just put Hibbert and Greg Monroe in the league and before that we have two HOF bigs in Ewing and Dikembe. We can't compete with that body of work.

To the second question, I don't see any major recruit wanting to come to UConn because we've developed sleeper big men. A guy like Enoch or Sharma may buy into that, but Diamond Stone won't be coming to UConn b/c of our big man lineage.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's been studied enough to make any conclusions about college basketball, but I know that in the NBA researchers have concluded that increasing a player's minutes does not negatively impact their per minute production.

Interesting. I'd like to see those studies. Would be interesting to see a 5 minutes per game guys rate be unaffected if he were to play 48 minutes. Or how they'd even measure that. I suspect, as you allude to, that it very well could be different for college players as well. I think it would for high schoolers. Don't know of course.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Here's an article from Zagsblog about Sharma's visit.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/7-footer-sharma-visits-uconn-bc/

“I like what Coach [Kevin] Ollie is doing with the program,” Sharma told SNY.tv. “He was saying that I would fit their system well, being an athletic big in a fast tempo style of play.”

Kind of amusing he followed that up with: Sharma was also at BC on Sunday.

“That was also good,” he said. “They definitely put a lot of effort into my visit, which I appreciate. I think I’m definitely one of the top priorities for BC and I like what [head coach Jim Christian] is doing with the program. I like both schools.”

He has visited UCONN twice, which is usually a good sign.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The more I've seen and heard about this kid he seems to be our top priority. Does anyone know what his timeline for making a decision? I'd love a commitment from him ..in 20 minutes

Read somewhere (maybe here) it was an end of summer time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom