Jalen Adams and Sid Wilson - Violation of Team Rules | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams and Sid Wilson - Violation of Team Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am not that concerned BUT a lot of the "Harvard's a good team" and "we were missing guys" stuff sounds an AWFUL lot like the stuff we (myself included) were saying to rationalize the losses to Northeastern, Wagner, Yale, etc.
Those were regular season losses. Not a closed scrimmage(glorified practice). Apples to Oranges

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I am not that concerned BUT a lot of the "Harvard's a good team" and "we were missing guys" stuff sounds an AWFUL lot like the stuff we (myself included) were saying to rationalize the losses to Northeastern, Wagner, Yale, etc.
People were saying Wagner was a good team?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Harvard's Sr. and Jr. classes consists of a good number of guys who spurned high-major programs. The name on the jersey belies who people on the team actually are.

Reaction Score
Not too concerned right now. Still think Jalen can have a great year. If this continues throughout the year then we have an issue but I'm sure Hurley will handle this well and Jalen will listen. Just sad that Jalen is still a little bit immature at times but he is still only 22 or 23 right?
Jalen will have a great year. I have zero doubt. His outside shooting is the last piece.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nobody knows whether Jalen or Sid will change and have the attitude that Coach Hurley expects as a result of this discipline. Hopefully they do.

It is not unreasonable for people to be concerned about Jalen. He was disciplined by KO over the scooter incident and, by my observation of his appearance, was definitely displeased that he did not play in the first half of last years opening game. Coach Hurley has made it clear to players what he expects from them so testing the coach was poor judgement on Jalen's part. With that said I agree with @Scrutiner that Jalen is the only one who is responsible for his life and that it is Jalen's right to make choices, good or bad, in how he leads it. Needless to say if the team struggles KO will have company with Boneyard posters anger.

I don't see how anyone can outright dismiss this action. A team that struggled last season, a team with a new coach and a new system, needs every minute to develop together as a group. There are not that many opportunities before the season begins. Coach Hurley lost the opportunity to play Jalen and Sid in different combinations with his players against outside players. Can this be overcome? Certainly. But show me the fan that thinks it is better to have two of your better players miss a major situation for development and I will show you a fool.

Reaction Score
Way too early, but they are the Ivy favorite and project as a 13 seed. In the past, RPI rankings of 13 seeds are kind of all over the place, but generally fall in the 50's somewhere. So top 40 isn't too far off . . .
Harvard's Sr. and Jr. classes consists of a good number of guys who spurned high-major programs. The name on the jersey belies who people on the team actually are.

Ivy has been all over the map as far as best team is concerned, 35-90 in KenPom is the usual range. League was down last year: best team (Penn) got a 16 seed as #125 in KenPom. Harvard was 141. As you point out, they do return essentially their whole roster. If they do improve markedly, and most people including KenPom (#84) have predicted they will, it'll likely be into the 60-100 range. 4/5 of their starters are seniors, so they're going to be VERY good next year.

Reaction Score
Yeah, from what I've heard Hurley likes to joke around, has no problem with fun and likes his players to have a good time and be themselves around him. In many ways he is more goofy and fun loving than ollie and calhoun. He is not a stereotypical drill sergeant. But he isn't going to tolerate breaking team rules.

From what I've seen, he is sort of the middle ground between the two. A lot like a teacher (he was a teacher for a while, after all)

Ollie was mean to the players, but personally couldn't hold them accountable because of his own failings. Leave it at that.

Calhoun was a fantastic guy, and worked crazy hard. He expected the same from his players.

Hurley is a great role model, but also understands that it's okay to be a kid. He has the players respect and a great rapport, so he can nip laziness in the bud. Good example at the open practice was when Jalen was saying "heyoo jelly fam" or something like that to Sid. Hurley told Jalen to knock it off and he shut it right away.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
In this particular case it’s some BY posters and not the media that are feasting. Jalen and Sid were late to a meeting or practice. For that they had to sit during the scrimmage. The punishment fit the crime. My bet is the issue was dealt with and is over. We should be more concerned about our front court play.

That's what I meant - if it were anything big, we'd be getting roasted nationally by now.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ollie was mean to the players, but personally couldn't hold them accountable because of his own failings. Leave it at that.

Pure BS -he was a coach with lousy results the last two years, hell yeah, had his faults? Yep Deserve to be gone due to performance - for sure
Mean to players? = please provide facts
I have spoken to players after KO was relieved of his position - not one spoke of him being mean or disrespectful but he did lose control of the team. He is a great person if you get to know him
JC is a fantastic guy but he was mean to the players at many different levels but commanded respect
Let's leave the KO talk behind us but saying things like that are downright wrong
DH will command respect as did JC and I expect the results will show in the performance of the team

C

Chief00

Pure BS -he was a coach with lousy results the last two years, hell yeah, had his faults? Yep Deserve to be gone due to performance - for sure
Mean to players? = please provide facts
I have spoken to players after KO was relieved of his position - not one spoke of him being mean or disrespectful but he did lose control of the team. He is a great person if you get to know him
JC is a fantastic guy but he was mean to the players at many different levels but commanded respect
Let's leave the KO talk behind us but saying things like that are downright wrong
Dan Hurley will command respect as did JC and I expect the results will show in the performance of the team

LOL Calhoun mean to his players? - heck the guy we all love - woke up mean looking for a fight. But, at the same time, was a great and kind man.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Holy crap - he was late to a team meeting/practice/something and Hurley held him accountable. It's just the coach making sure everyone is on board with the program. I have no idea how this thread is still going (even though I just extended it).

It's a non issue essentially. Move on. (and please don't reply. There's nothing more to discuss here).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom