Jalen Adams and Sid Wilson - Violation of Team Rules | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams and Sid Wilson - Violation of Team Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow. JA has consistently proven to lack maturity. Part of me wonders if next season we will witness an addition by subtraction. I understand that may sound crazy because of his undeniable ability, but you can't have a guy setting the tone like this. We need guys who want to win and work hard, and JA doesn't seem to understand how to do that and follow basic rules of conduct.
This is such an ice cold take. This is what rebuilding looks like. It's a process and players like kemba and shabazz didn't become who they are over night. this kid is the only chance we have this year support him

Reaction Score
UConn is not releasing the final score, or any stats from the scrimmage, which was played at noon at Gampel Pavilion. Hurley said he keeps these things secret because the games are informal, players allowed to play with extra fouls, for instance, and it’s more “a teaching tool” than a game.

“The best player on the team and the head coach set the tone for the program. He’s got to be completely bought in to every single aspect of how I want a player to carry himself in the program, not just from 12:45 to 3:15 on the practice court. There is a heavy responsibility that comes with being the head coach at UConn, being the best player at UConn, or anyone that is associated with the program. This is an elite program and you have to carry yourself as such every single second of the day.”

Dan Hurley: Jalen Adams, Sid Wilson Held Out Of Scrimmage After 'Violating Team Rules'

This makes it sound like something happened outside of basketball.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t Bentley his coach at Harding? I can’t imagine McKay getting away with that in high school.
Charlie literally saved lives on the east side of BPT in those days. Some of his kids were out of Father Panic. If you know that era of B port and B ball. You know.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
As far as the mental part of the game goes, this is #1. Aristotle realized this a VERY long time ago. Geno preaches this as well. Excellence is a habit.

John wooden too.

Rumor has it that guy was a decent coach

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I hear you and am 100% behind Hurley, but for example in other threads posters are pounding the notion that KO’s flaws were the reason for Jalen not being where he should be by now. Based on the available body of evidence I tend to think that Jalen himself bears a fair share of responsibility as well.

Maybe KOs lack of accountability is why Jalen acts like he does. Could have nipped it in the bud in year one. Never learned the right way.

the Q

Reaction Score
Maybe KOs lack of accountability is why Jalen acts like he does. Could have nipped it in the bud in year one. Never learned the right way.

I’d wonder about accountability before Uconn as well.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Just heard from someone I trust that Sid and Jalen were late to a “team related function”. Not sure if it was practice or a meeting or something else. However, nothing really major. Sounds like Hurley is just setting a precedent like @Storrs South said before

Reaction Score
This makes it sound like something happened outside of basketball.

Could be as simple as smoking weed or missing curfew. If it wasn't a pattern of behavior I wouldn't bat an eye. That, on the court, and the fact that he's turning, what, 23?

Reaction Score
Just heard from someone I trust that Sid and Jalen were late to a “team related function”. Not sure if it was practice or a meeting or something else. However, nothing really major. Sounds like Hurley is just setting a precedent like @Storrs South said before

That's how you establish a culture. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but sends a message. Exactly what you want to hear.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Once disciplined my best player by not allowing him to play in the next game, for missing practice without notifying the coach.

This player-high character- just flat out forgot to call but a rule is a rule. Would have lost the team if I didn't make the tough decision.
Best player on a high school team that won 18 games that season in the smallest public school in the St of Ct.. This player ended his career with 999 career points.
Go Coach Hurley your doing the right thing.

the Q

Reaction Score
Once disciplined my best player by not allowing him to play in the next game, for missing practice without notifying the coach.

This player-high character- just flat out forgot to call but a rule is a rule. Would have lost the team if I didn't make the tough decision.
Best player on a high school team that won 18 games that season in the smallest public school in the St of Ct.. This player ended his career with 999 career points.
Go Coach Hurley your doing the right thing.

Didn’t a ct hs girls coach get fired this year for benching a player for violating team rules?

Reaction Score
SOunds like a minor violation. Better not to read too much into this without knowing the facts.

Reaction Score
SOunds like a minor violation. Better not to read too much into this without knowing the facts.

One fact is that Adams isn't perfect but he's been expected to carry an undermanned and poorly prepared team on his back since he got here. Maybe that was a reasonable expectation, maybe it wasn't. But we were falling from glory and needed a savior. Maybe he can be a leader but not in the way we imagined. The entire team needs to grow together but Hurley obviously thinks Jalen is capable of giving them a push and is pouncing on some detail to make that point. It's a matter of refocusing and transitioning to actual game competition. Nothing is going to be overlooked or left to chance and that's to be expected given what he inherited. Not unconcerned but staying positive on this one.

Reaction Score
A lot of people here can’t wait to chisel Adams’ likeness on Mt Rushmore. He has never ever shown the ability or desire to be a leader. This recent incident doesn’t surprise me one bit and if there were something else between now and the end of his UConn career, that wouldn’t surprise me one bit either.

Reaction Score
This whole scenario from the beginning screamed of late to study hall/team meeting kind of thing. Bad look for Jalen and Sid. Hurley handled it 100% correct, the message should be heard loud and clear by the whole team. No need for major concern so long as it doesn't happen again.

Reaction Score
That's true.
You continue to post content that confirms my choice to Ignore you.

There are so few in this category, that I couldn't resist the temptation to see who it was. You are right at the intersection of never disappointing by always disappointing. It's a gift.
Please ignore me. Keep your head in the sand.

Reaction Score
That's how you establish a culture. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but sends a message. Exactly what you want to hear.
I would say it is actually a huge deal in the grand scheme of things - and not a big deal in the small scheme of things.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Please ignore me. Keep your head in the sand.

What, keep his head in the sand and ignore this truth you've discovered? Is "a leopard doesn't change his spots" something you're just as certain of as "[Alterique Gilbert will not] be a difference maker for UConn basketball on the court./"[Gilbert] will likely be re-injured in practice before the season starts."/"[Gilbert] is done. Forget him.""Even if [Gilbert] did come back, in the first game he would get injured again."?

In fact, just because you've proclaimed that Jalen won't change, I am now 100% certain that he will. Your posts about this team are that of someone who lives in a fantasy land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom