Jacobs Thurs Courant | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jacobs Thurs Courant

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Two months ago people were screaming for KO to bench Brimah during games and put Enoch or someone else in who could first catch an interior pass and then not travel with it, or kick it back out to the perimeter without causing a TO.

Until they saw him play D. And then they screamed the opposite. Personnel just wasn't there inside for the last couple years.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Wow, best article by Jacobs I ever read. I like the fact that KO has the guts to make the hard choices like fire Miller to get Chill. To be honest I don't think I could do that. That's great leadership by KO making tough decisions for the benefit of the organization.

Fantastic.

But his best article was his one last year about what a joke it is that the high schools without borders play in the small school state tournaments here in CT.

Masterful job on both though.

Reaction Score
Is there any question that Jacobs reads the Boneyard? Some of that stuff isn't just flowing into his inbox.
Don't be so needy, its more remarkably that 'yarders still read Jacobs than vice versa ;)

Reaction Score
Until they saw him play D. And then they screamed the opposite. Personnel just wasn't there inside for the last couple years.
You can get help from your teamates on D, especially in the paint, but putting the ball in the hoop five feet or less from the basket is all on you. Enoch could do that, get fouled AND usually hit ALL of his foul shots. Brimah didn't have a clue in that department, and HIS defense this year was just ok against lesser competition.

Reaction Score
putting the ball in the hoop five feet or less from the basket is all on you. Enoch could do that,

No he could not; I've watched the video I made last week over and over again and he was abysmal at putting the ball in the hoop at point blank range. His FG% of 41% is reflective of that, which is terrible for a guy in the post.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Now Enoch is all of a sudden a bum just to make the coach look good? Geez.
Two months ago people were screaming for KO to bench Brimah during games and put Enoch or someone else in who could first catch an interior pass and then not travel with it, or kick it back out to the perimeter without causing a TO.
I think we all wanted to see those guys get good PT. Then, almost like a break, due to injuries we got a real long look at them. So did KO and the coaching staff. We will never know what KO did or did not say to them at the end. I think it is pretty clear that both are very deficient on defense. SE's overall deficiencies worse than VJ. They have to be all in on KO's agenda (D first) not some fantasy about a lottery pick with their offensive moves when they have such glaring faults. We don't know how much time and energy was spent on them in practice as well. Possible that the staff reached the conclusion that they cannot or will not cooperate with the progress that is expected. No one saying SE is a "bum"; just not progressing and/or not happy. Time to move
on for both and I wish them the best. Looking forward to the new recruits, injured returning and whoever else we may add. I like the fact that in another article I read today in the Courant Chillious referred to KO's boundless energy and his own ability to instill TOUGHNESS in developing players. Add recruiting to that and they will make a great coaching tandem.

Reaction Score
Now Enoch is all of a sudden a bum just to make the coach look good? Geez.
Enoch was like the backup quarterback when the starter is having trouble. Everyone loves him until he is actually in the game.

Reaction Score
No he could not; I've watched the video I made last week over and over again and he was abysmal at putting the ball in the hoop at point blank range. His FG% of 41% is reflective of that, which is terrible for a guy in the post.

He had the physique, but neither the intelligence, toughness, or skill. Hard to go 0 for 3, but he did it.

This should have been easy to foresee after he started the Wagner game like 0-7.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You can get help from your teamates on D, especially in the paint, but putting the ball in the hoop five feet or less from the basket is all on you. Enoch could do that, get fouled AND usually hit ALL of his foul shots. Brimah didn't have a clue in that department, and HIS defense this year was just ok against lesser competition.

Not especially in the paint. Help comes FROM the paint when you get hedged or burned on the wings. If you need help inside, it generally occurs from a breakdown outside.

If you need help with no breakdown? You are a civ and it's layup city. You can't win without your posts being able to defend.

The only way I can think of to hide some of a bigs defensive deficiencies is the 2-3 zone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The thing about shakeups is that they're hard. And they require really tough choices.

I've been really critical of Ollie - but he replaced Miller with exactly the kind of guy he needed to. But now I think they really need to create a culture. Ollie's a wonderful motivational speech guy - but this team's lacked a calling card and a personality in recent years and to me that's just as important as bringing in talent and I think Chillious can help deliver that. Putting teams together is a complicated puzzle. And that starts with a framework for the kind of kid you want to get.

Reaction Score
My guess is KO tried harder to convince Steve to stay than Vance.
Really? I mean Steve didn't garner any consideration for the all-sophomore AAC team.

If its true as the helicopter stage parent asserts that conversations were had with Ollie about how he's using players and his offense that's quite an effort at retention. Its easy therefore cheap to say this, but each tweet or phone call to Calhoun results in a DNP for the player. Need to nip that in the bud.

I haven't read any of the Mr. Lonzo Ball stuff, but was he advising Steve Alford via the media or phone calls on how to run offense?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Really? I mean Steve didn't garner any consideration for the all-sophomore AAC team.

If its true as the helicopter stage parent asserts that conversations were had with Ollie about how he's using players and his offense that's quite an effort at retention. Its easy therefore cheap to say this, but each tweet or phone call to Calhoun results in a DNP for the player. Need to nip that in the bud.

I haven't read any of the Mr. Lonzo Ball stuff, but was he advising Steve Alford via the media or phone calls on how to run offense?
My personal opinion is Vance would have contributed more than Steve next season based on the trajectory of the skills they demonstrated this season.
But two things made me suggest my conjectured opinion about who KO wanted to keep more. One is we're short on proven bigs and Steve was the most experienced player for that position.
And the second is that there were no indications of Steve being anything but a model student and a player who didn't make waves.

Now I'm not saying Vance did. But if Vance Sr. was causing problems then I'm sure KO felt it was in the best interest to cut the cord.

As far as Vance Sr's behavior there were many things people in the Boneyard stated regarding his Bell Sr. impersonation. Take anything you read with a grain of salt. But I felt there was a least some evidence to support it.

Reaction Score
As far as Vance Sr's behavior there were many things people in the Boneyard stated regarding his Bell Sr. impersonation. Take anything you read with a grain of salt. But I felt there was a least some evidence to support it.
I agree 100% on the last point, I follow twitter and there were some ridiculously meddling comments. However probably the players choice in each case and not Ollie cutting any cords. I do believe Ollie talked with a parent(s?) at various points during season. Hopefully learning and motivating factor on all points, don't want to be on such a low and desperate place to have to put up with that, nip it in bud next time, avoid kids that have helicopters constantly circling overhead.

C

Chief00

Don't be so needy, its more remarkably that 'yarders still read Jacobs than vice versa ;)
The more I read Jacobs, the more I realize Calhoun was right, he really has no knowledgeable sources.

C

Chief00

My personal opinion is Vance would have contributed more than Steve next season based on the trajectory of the skills they demonstrated this season.
But two things made me suggest my conjectured opinion about who KO wanted to keep more. One is we're short on proven bigs and Steve was the most experienced player for that position.
And the second is that there were no indications of Steve being anything but a model student and a player who didn't make waves.

Now I'm not saying Vance did. But if Vance Sr. was causing problems then I'm sure KO felt it was in the best interest to cut the cord.

Enoch was a bigger loss IMO. We have guys that can replace Vance (Mal, Larrier, the other Freshman) - we don't have any 6-11 guy in shape with muscles and a decent offensive skill set.

Reaction Score
I think Jacobs is wrong again.While I wouldn't use the word beg - young people need to be counseled and brought along. A take it or leave it attitude is short sighted.

Short sighted only by those with an agenda for KO. No one in their right mind kisses any dads a** regarding how they will use their son or even if they are big in their plans. Your son hasn't improved in areas we've asked him too he might not pay as much as you like dad how do you like that? If dad says he disagrees then dad's an a**!!

Next who cares

C

Chief00

Short sighted only by those with an agenda for KO. No one in their right mind kisses any dads a** regarding how they will use their son or even if they are big in their plans. Your son hasn't improved in areas we've asked him too he might not pay as much as you like dad how do you like that? If dad says he disagrees then dad's an a**!!

Next who cares

LOL - that's not what I am advocating. I think it was a dumb move playing Brimah over Enoch after the season was lost. I also think Steve would have easily stay if he had a little better positive guidance. True, having a position coach with two feet out the door did not help and ultimately that left Steve without someone who could encourage him after a disappointing season.

C

Chief00

After last season valuing defense over offense is not where we want to be. While neither was great our offense was light years behind our defense. Jackson could shoot and had good passing vision - Enoch was a good foul shooter late in the season and could catch and back a guy down.

Reaction Score
LOL - that's not what I am advocating. I think it was a dumb move playing Brimah over Enoch after the season was lost. I also think Steve would have easily stay if he had a little better positive guidance. True, having a position coach with two feet out the door did not help and ultimately that left Steve without someone who could encourage him after a disappointing season.

Disagree you try to win. I think everyone knows my opinion of AB yet he gave us the better chance to win like it or not. Steve has a long way to go and I hope he knows that otherwise he's in for a huge disappointment.

AB was the best 5 we had, and no one took it from him shame on them!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom