Jacobs Thurs Courant | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jacobs Thurs Courant

Reaction Score
After last season valuing defense over offense is not where we want to be. While neither was great our offense was light years behind our defense. Jackson could shoot and had good passing vision - Enoch was a good foul shooter late in the season and could catch and back a guy down.

You must almost enjoy watching the Knicks play. Though I do agree that the offensive system was terrible.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Enoch was a bigger loss IMO. We have guys that can replace Vance (Mal, Larrier, the other Freshman) - we don't have any 6-11 guy in shape with muscles and a decent offensive skill set.
We're in agreement Chief. Positional need is sometimes more important than other factors.

Reaction Score
Jacobs is hitting it out of the park lately. Great article today on Kia Nurse!!!!! Worth the read. Women's board be damned!

Reaction Score
You can get help from your teamates on D, especially in the paint, but putting the ball in the hoop five feet or less from the basket is all on you. Enoch could do that, get fouled AND usually hit ALL of his foul shots. Brimah didn't have a clue in that department, and HIS defense this year was just ok against lesser competition.
Connecticut Huskies 2016-17 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - Men's College Basketball - ESPN

Brimah averaged more points, rebounds, and blocks per minute. He also shot 57% from the field. Which is much, much better than Enoch's 41%. Enoch was only marginally better from the line 68% vs. 62%, but Brimah went to the foul line more often.

So basically, you're wrong on everything.

LOL - that's not what I am advocating. I think it was a dumb move playing Brimah over Enoch after the season was lost. I also think Steve would have easily stay if he had a little better positive guidance. True, having a position coach with two feet out the door did not help and ultimately that left Steve without someone who could encourage him after a disappointing season.

Speaking of wrong....

It's easy to sit on the outside (and you're on the outside) and say the season was lost. I wouldn't want a coach who benches the best players because he doesn't think he can win. Brimah deserved to play because he was better than Enoch, period. You're arguing for the same things that got Diaco fired.

I wouldn't want a coach that tells his seniors their last season isn't as important as the next season, so he's not going to bother trying to win games. It was bullsh it when Diaco did it in his first and third year, and it would have been bullsh it for Ollie to do it this year.

Reaction Score
Love that both those kids came to uconn.

Having said that, good luck fellas.

Steve was a very frustrating player to watch especially w his body. He can occasionally hit a 10 foot jumper so he has untapped potential? No, the kid doesn't have game right now. Constantly in foul trouble. Liability on defense. Poor finisher around basket.

Vance can shoot and occassionally make a straight line drive to basket. Although he would have improved here, he was a horrendous defender and terrible rebounder, and w a father like that it's better he transferred now rather than a year from now.

Reaction Score
No he could not; I've watched the video I made last week over and over again and he was abysmal at putting the ball in the hoop at point blank range. His FG% of 41% is reflective of that, which is terrible for a guy in the post.

Wow. Watching that is humbling. I somehow deleted from my brain how bad he was defensively. I think we all forget he came to UConn as a project. Only rated in the top 100 for his potential. Everyone pegged him as a late bloomer, but watching his minutes from this year, I can understand why he did not see the floor more.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I wouldn't want a coach that tells his seniors their last season isn't as important as the next season, so he's not going to bother trying to win games. It was bullsh it when Diaco did it in his first and third year, and it would have been bullsh it for Ollie to do it this year.

Also, what a nice little negative recruiting pitch for other programs. "if you're better, you don't necessarily play. if the season isn't going well, worse players play to develop for future years. essentially, Ollie gives up on seasons."

The concept goes directly against everything the UCONN program stands for. You earn PT in practice.

C

Chief00

Connecticut Huskies 2016-17 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - Men's College Basketball - ESPN

Brimah averaged more points, rebounds, and blocks per minute. He also shot 57% from the field. Which is much, much better than Enoch's 41%. Enoch was only marginally better from the line 68% vs. 62%, but Brimah went to the foul line more often.

So basically, you're wrong on everything.

Speaking of wrong....

It's easy to sit on the outside (and you're on the outside) and say the season was lost. I wouldn't want a coach who benches the best players because he doesn't think he can win. Brimah deserved to play because he was better than Enoch, period. You're arguing for the same things that got Diaco fired.

Don't make the mistake of extrapolating per minute statistics of someone who played very little, that's a mark of someone who doesn't understand the game. Brimah did not improve in 4 years and we had a losing record - time to go with someone who has some offensive potential per Chief and is a better rebounder. You can coach defense up.

Reaction Score
Don't make the mistake of extrapolating per minute statistics of someone who played very little, that's a mark of someone who doesn't understand the game. Brimah did not improve in 4 years and we had a losing record - time to go with someone who has some offensive potential per Chief and is a better rebounder. You can coach defense up.

1) 12 minutes per game is plenty of time to evaluate a performance.
2) there are a few reasons he only played 12 mpg (he's a defensive liability, and a poor finisher)
3) Enoch didn't improve in 2 years.
4) I know more about the game than you.

Reaction Score
Brimah averaged more points

Yes you're right, with the 100 or so fouls called on him this year, he easily could have indirectly helped the other team score almost 50 points against UCONN. Lol

And if they gave negative assists for turnovers he'd lead the nation. Lol

He finished his career with almost 400 personal fouls, that's got to be a UCONN record.

Reaction Score
Yes you're right, with the 100 or so fouls called on him this year, he easily could have indirectly helped the other team score almost 50 points against UCONN. Lol

He finished his career with almost 400 personal fouls, that's got to be a UCONN record.
Even when you move the goal posts, you still miss the mark. I thought this was a comparison between Brimah and Enoch?

Brimah averaged 3.2 fouls per game. considering the fact he averaged 2.6 blocks per game that's really not that bad.
Enoch averaged 1.9 fouls, .6 blocks, and 1.1 turnovers per game.

For every 24 minutes, Brimah gave us 3.2 fouls, 2.6 blocks, and 1.5 turnovers.
For every 24 minutes, Enoch gave us 3.8 fouls, 1.2 blocks, and 2.2 turnovers.

So if you're unhappy with too many fouls and turnovers, your argument to play Enoch more, is (as I said) wrong. When adjusted for playing time, Enoch gave us more fouls, fewer blocks, more turnovers, fewer points, fewer rebounds, and a much lower shooting percentage.

But he did make "ALL" of his free throws, if by "ALL" you meant 68%.

I'm not bashing Enoch, I was looking forward to seeing him play more this year (hoping he could improve on defense to stay on the court), but Brimah is a better player today, and was a better player as a freshman and sophomore, and deserved to play the minutes. It's unfortunate Brimah never really developed. It's also unfortunate that Enoch is leaving. But whether it's the eye test, or statistically speaking, Enoch did nothing to show he deserved to play more than Brimah. Not one thing.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
No he could not; I've watched the video I made last week over and over again and he was abysmal at putting the ball in the hoop at point blank range. His FG% of 41% is reflective of that, which is terrible for a guy in the post.

Thanks for your efforts. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Reaction Score
2) there are a few reasons he only played 12 mpg (he's a defensive liability, and a poor finisher)
4) WingU-Conn knows more about the game than you.
When debating Chief it is important to refer to yourself in the 3rd person. Otherwise it will appear he has the upper hand

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

You can coach defense up, unfortunately, it looks like Enoch wasn't very coachable in that regard. You learn defense in practice. In games, you get sat on the bench if it doesn't get done, either by the coach or the ref.

C

Chief00

4) I know more about the game than you.
LOL -
CONFIRMED: He's a 12pt/8rb guy in the right system.

C

Chief00

Unfortunately, you are on the money. Thanks for coaching the young fellows up - it gets to be a burden after awhile but it's all good.

Reaction Score
He's a 12pt/8rb guy in the right system.

I agree. But that has nothing to do with whether or not he should play over Brimah in UConn's system.

Clown.

It's impressive to watch two guys move the target to their advantage, and yet still completely miss their shots.

C

Chief00

I agree. But that has nothing to do with whether or not he should play over Brimah in UConn's system.

Clown.

It's impressive to watch two guys move the target to their advantage, and yet still completely miss their shots.

The UConn system used to be winning and physical toughness. Brimah worked hard but not on what he needed to work on. So he never improved his weak areas.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The UConn system used to be winning and physical toughness. Brimah worked hard but not on what he needed to work on. So he never improved his weak areas.

Physical toughness, like playing through concussions that aren't really concussions?

Reaction Score
JJacobs - I know you read this...

Im salivating at the thought of your next column after the MAL news today. If another negative headline comes out of this program and no one issues a statement just months after they were silent on his contract extension... go get em

Giddy with anticipation

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom