Jackson's Jumpshot Next Year... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jackson's Jumpshot Next Year...

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Jackson is very nraw
Jackson is a terrible shooter. He throws up bricks, fouls too much, poor passer. I don't know why Hurley thinks so highly of him. Sometimes I question whether he knows what he is doing, like keeping Martin in the starting line-up. Martin is a small market player, 0 points in BE semi-final (can't count tip in from opponent that he got credit for), 2 points last night. His attitude on the court suggests he is Gods gift. Can't make a lay up, crummy defense, all around useless player. Go back to the A10.

Reaction Score
Why hasn't our coaching staff worked on this? Jackson seems to have the physical equipment in all regards.

I mean do you see him shoot the ball? They can be working on it daily for the next 4 years and he might ever be a shooter, it’s that ugly. But @ 6’6 with his athleticism and sound fundamentals let’s see him get to where he can make shots going to the basket, pull ups and runners. Baby steps, but I have no doubt they have a plan to attempt to improve his shooting he’s just not the easiest of students.

Reaction Score
Jackson is a terrible shooter. He throws up bricks, fouls too much, poor passer. I don't know why Hurley thinks so highly of him. Sometimes I question whether he knows what he is doing, like keeping Martin in the starting line-up. Martin is a small market player, 0 points in BE semi-final (can't count tip in from opponent that he got credit for), 2 points last night. His attitude on the court suggests he is Gods gift. Can't make a lay up, crummy defense, all around useless player. Go back to the A10.

Wow bad news for you is you’re much more lost than either Tyrese or Andre. Andres a very good passer, great vision but does need to foul less and stay on the floor. Tyrese is a very good defender, a bulldog on the boards and a welcome Husky. He does need to finish better no doubt but he can work on that.

Maybe it’s you that should elect to root for an A 10 team with your pitiful ‘tude.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The kid nails free throws, there is something to work with here.
And that probably came from hard work. The ethic is there and he learned how to do this. Let's hope the staff makes it a priority to help him out. Rashad Anderson form was very simple and consistent. Faith, confidence and hard work.

Reaction Score
It's been said that free through shooting is a good predictor of a players potential to develop a shot, Jackson has a decent stroke from the line so the potential is there. He should get in touch with Giffey for advice as he improved probably more than anyone over the course of his career, Kemba Walker is another player who lacked an outside shot his freshman year. Polley is another player who developed his shot over the course of his career.

Reaction Score
It's been said that free through shooting is a good predictor of a players potential to develop a shot, Jackson has a decent stroke from the line so the potential is there. He should get in touch with Giffey for advice as he improved probably more than anyone over the course of his career, Kemba Walker is another player who lacked an outside shot his freshman year.

Agree on his FT stroke it gives us hope. But both Giff and Kemba had nice strokes already so it was just about shooting more while gaining confidence. I’m afraid AJ needs to change a lot including form to get there. It can happen will take time though.

Reaction Score
Reading about Jackson sounds like what I read about Sid Wilson early in his career. I kept wondering why the heck he was even out there last night, especially late when we needed shooters and scorers. He is neither.

Reaction Score
AJax needs to play to his strengths. The late Sticks wasn’t a great shooter either, but his sick athleticism compensated for his lack of a shot.
Dre is already a great passer and has a good feel for the game. Work on that handle and midrange game, even a little floater in the lane, and we’d have a very good glue guy next yr.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Wow bad news for you is you’re much more lost than either Tyrese or Andre. Andres a very good passer, great vision but does need to foul less and stay on the floor. Tyrese is a very good defender, a bulldog on the boards and a welcome Husky. He does need to finish better no doubt but he can work on that.

Maybe it’s you that should elect to root for an A 10 team with your pitiful ‘tude.
You're right. Martin is good on the boards. Maybe he should learn a pull-up because he can't make a lay-up. I just can't understand why he has disappeared in UConns two most important games. He has had some very good performances, but his consistency is terrible. (as with most of the team) I've followed this team since Toby Kimbel and Wes Bal. I guess i'm just a frustrated fan who can't believe the team played their worst game of the season. Sorry

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Before we even look at analytics, his form needs to change. It’s really bad.
Yup. For any old enough to remember Donny Marshall as a player, he developed a pretty reliable jumper over time because he always had very good form. Upper level athletes with the right form can shoot a basketball pretty well. Jackson is certainly very athletic. If he can develop better form and confidence, he’d be hard to stop. I’d love to jump on his bandwagon but i’m not there yet.

Reaction Score
At this point I'll take a player who misses his 3's in a way that we're able to rebound them next year. That'll be a start

Reaction Score
My guess is they blow it up and start from scratch with him. I get not doing that during the year but with a full off-season, this is the time to do it. There’s no reason he shouldn’t be a respectable shooter if they get his form fixed.

Reaction Score
Jackson needs to work on his shot. They could double the size of the basket and many of his shots would still miss. Until he is a confident shooter who needs to be guarded the lane will never open for him.

He has a good handle and it will get better. He should watch videos of Jason Kidd, a great passer with poor shot (he eventually developed a dependable three) who had an amazing career.

Reaction Score
...is the key to this team's success. If Jackson can become even serviceable then this will be a tournament team. I am assuming Akok will be back, Gaffney improves, and Hawkins/Sool can contribute. (Let's not kid ourselves though: most freshmen will be inconsistent!)

My question for analytically-minded Boneyarders: what is the empirical evidence on jumpshot improvement among college players? Even anecdotal evidence would be useful. I am cautiously optimistic based on reports of Jackson's work ethic and continued improvement during high school. However, several posters have commented that his form looks reasonably good. Really?! His free throw form looks good, but his jump shot -- especially the 3 point shot -- is in need of complete overhaul.

Athleticism can only take you so far. Skilled shooting --from Jackson, Hawkins and hopefully a dead eye transfer -- will write Uconn's chapter next season. After all, it's a Hurley team; the defense, rebounding, and grit are givens. It's the offense that hangs in the balance.
NOT OFFENSE! DEFENSE

Reaction Score
Maybe the play is say forget the shooting just focus all his time on becoming mini ben simmons

Reaction Score
Wow, somebody pissed in your Cheerios

Reaction Score
It is kind of interesting how all these people who had us going to the Final Four and got mad when someone said we weren’t that good are now wanting to fire the coach, bench the players and anoint a kid who has more fouls than points as the guy to lead us back to championships. Some recent study concluded that college sports fans are the most unhappy people in the country. Might be true.

Reaction Score
He is absolutely NOT a poor passer, I’m not sure what games you’ve been watching. I can’t wait for this kid to prove you and so many others wrong about him next year.

Reaction Score
Counting on Jackson’s 3% shooting to go from 10% to 30%+ in one summer is banking on a miracle
This 100%. He needs to work hard on his shooting but if we want to take advantage of his skills next year he needs to improve his defense, driving, finishing, drawing players then dishing to Sanogo or a wing who is a natural shooter.

Reaction Score
This 100%. He needs to work hard on his shooting but if we want to take advantage of his skills next year he needs to improve his defense, driving, finishing, drawing players then dishing to Sanogo or a wing who is a natural shooter.
Or maybe the coaching staff doesn’t let other teams dictate us playing half court offense that’s so reliant on the 3 next year. With the depth and athletes we’ll have next year, there’s no excuse not to play at a faster tempo and capitalize on all the athleticism we have.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
hitting the rim once and awhile would be a big improvement, then maybe we can ignore the three fouls he gets in three minutes and the 100 mph passes he makes that just go out of bounds.
"once and awhile"
Nice

Reaction Score
Why hasn't our coaching staff worked on this? Jackson seems to have the physical equipment in all regards.
Yes, why not? If he doesn’t put the work in this summer it’s on him. He should glue himself to the shooting coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom