Jackson's Jumpshot Next Year... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jackson's Jumpshot Next Year...

Reaction Score
Lol if Jackson’s jump shot is the key to next year we need a new hole
Jackson’s jump shot can be a key to next year along with all the other talent just makes the team better.

Reaction Score
Hire Ray Allen to be his shooting tutor.

He just needs to spend the next 6 months shooting daily. It's up to him how good he wants to be.

Will take much longer than 6 months. Years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jackson’s jump shot can be a key to next year along with all the other talent just makes the team better.
Sure but I hope we’re not counting on Jackson hitting 3s. He does a lot of special things, but his stroke is one of the ugliest I’ve ever seen. I think he has amazing vision, unreal athleticism, and a knack for the ball. But if he shoots 15% from deep who would be surprised?

Reaction Score
Sure but I hope we’re not counting on Jackson hitting 3s. He does a lot of special things, but his stroke is one of the ugliest I’ve ever seen.
No but it wouldn’t hurt to have Jackson hitting threes next year. His stroke is horrible but will be improved. I know the coaching staff is going to work on it.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Hire Ray Allen to be his shooting tutor.

He just needs to spend the next 6 months shooting daily. It's up to him how good he wants to be.
ray is the classic apex jump shooter. he had it coming here, and only late in his career did more shots come with less height. should this approach be on the menu for aj? idk. it may be too soon to diagnose anything aboot him given very little data so far. except for the little kids hand on top of the ball thing. that's clear, so far.

Reaction Score
Did you'all see how Maryland left him alone from the outside. Kid was wide open to shoot because they know he can't shoot.
Kid needs to go out and pay to train with one of those famous "shot doctors".
Gotta overhaul his outside shot. To be honest, his current shot is UGLY.
I know, every once in a great while it will go in.
However, even my broken watch is correct twice a day. Doesn't mean it's not still broken.
It's an absolute imperative for him to very very dramatically improve his outside shot or his bb future is in severe jeopardy.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Lol if Jackson’s jump shot is the key to next year we need a new hole
i win square peg in a round hole GIF

Reaction Score
Lonzo Ball comes to mind...his shot was atrocious, but at least it went in a reasonable amount of the time

MKG at UK is another who simply had 0 offense, but made a living on the defensive end
My thing is this though even when his shot was bad in college he was still able to score. Its like Ajax cant even beat his man off the dribble. He showed absolutely no offensive ability except dunking the ball.

Reaction Score
Lonzo Ball comes to mind...his shot was atrocious, but at least it went in a reasonable amount of the time

Lonzo was a fine shooter at UCLA though, it wasn't until the Lakers tried tweaking his form and his percentages plummeted. At least he's finally recovered.

At UCLA he shot 41% from deep on high volume (5.4 3PA/game). A comical 73% inside the arc. Pedestrian 67% from the stripe.

I'd kill for Jackson to put up those splits.

Reaction Score
Call Ray Allen to work with him (as long as it's not a recruiting violation....). Kid needs to live I'm the gym taking hundreds of threes per day. His shot is really bad right now. Take it as a challenge to improve. Athleticism only goes so far.

Reaction Score
At UCLA he shot 41% from deep on high volume (5.4 3PA/game). A comical 73% inside the arc. Pedestrian 67% from the stripe.

I'd kill for Jackson to put up those splits.
He was a generational talent at the collegiate level. No matter how good a player ends up in the NBA, a player that can come in and completely dictate pace, board, and lead the conference in assists as a freshman deserves respect. If he didn’t have a glue sniffer as a coach, Ball would be remembered as one of the best talents the NCAA has seen in a long time.

Again, Jackson rocks, but lets not set these crazy expectations for him. You’ll only be sad.

Orc

Reaction Score
Jackson’s jump shot next year will come 2 feet short of the hoop instead of 3 feet. I figure those are swishes senior year.
Horrendous shooting will not just go away overnight. Hes been working on it since high school. I think hell be a decent shooter his senior year. Baby steps next year though

Reaction Score
This is correct. His talent is off the charts, but if he can't shoot from anywhere on the floor he's not playable.
Let's put it this way. Bouk was a 3 level scorer.

Jackson is currently a 0 level scorer.

He's a good passer for his size. He scored 43 points this year and committed 40 fouls in 249 minutes in 15 games. 2.9 points per game.

We all thought his defense (when he wasn't fouling) was pretty good this year.

He has to figure out offense on at least one of the levels next year. He can quote me on that.

Reaction Score
...is the key to this team's success. If Jackson can become even serviceable then this will be a tournament team. I am assuming Akok will be back, Gaffney improves, and Hawkins/Sool can contribute. (Let's not kid ourselves though: most freshmen will be inconsistent!)

My question for analytically-minded Boneyarders: what is the empirical evidence on jumpshot improvement among college players? Even anecdotal evidence would be useful. I am cautiously optimistic based on reports of Jackson's work ethic and continued improvement during high school. However, several posters have commented that his form looks reasonably good. Really?! His free throw form looks good, but his jump shot -- especially the 3 point shot -- is in need of complete overhaul.

Athleticism can only take you so far. Skilled shooting --from Jackson, Hawkins and hopefully a dead eye transfer -- will write Uconn's chapter next season. After all, it's a Hurley team; the defense, rebounding, and grit are givens. It's the offense that hangs in the balance.
His free throw looks good, shooting 9/10. His 3pt shot is bad though. What it seems like is he's working on a new form and is able to use it on free throws since he has the time to really focus on his mechanics. But on 3pt shots he doesn't have that time and muscle memory kicks in.

Seems like he has the touch and the new shooting mechanics, just needs more practice to put it into muscle memory.

Reaction Score
I'm willing to bet that a normal off season is going to do wonders for his game.
100%. He just seems to struggle playing in Bouk’s shadow, and has zero confidence on his jumpers. I think a nice long offseason will transform his game dramatically. With his size and athleticism it would be nice if Hurley posts him up more next year and takes him away from the 3 point line as much as possible.

Reaction Score
Passing is one of his best skills. This is an awful "get off my lawn" take.

His shooting -- despite protestation of everyone on the BY last summer -- is atrocious. Form, results, whatever. It's awful. Nobody respects his shot, and it kills our offense when he's in there. I agree this is the biggest X factor for next year.

If he can at least be a semi-credible 3-point threat, even like 30-32%, he would be an elite player. If he can't, it gums up everything else and he's borderline unplayable. Sorry, that's just how the game works these days.
30-32. He is 10% 3 PT shooter. I will take 20 to 25% lol. He is so limited on offense and it goes beyond his shot. He really can't take anyone off the dribble and has no mid range game to speak of. I know people play off him but he seems to push off a lot when he is guarded closely. He surely isn't a Freshman Bouk. He really has worst skills than Sid Wilson right now who was a great athlete too. I hope the kid can transform his game but that might be asking a lot of him to be a big scoring threat for us next year. I hope he can prove us wrong. He needs to work on his shot, dribble drive and mid range game.

Reaction Score
He’s not a good shooter and honestly may never be. What does amaze me is where’s the mid range game, a floater or pull up? Hardly an attempt. He can handle, he can pass so he should be able to get to the lane and stop-pop. One handed like Jeremy or something is what I’m looking for next year not as concerned about his 3 point stroke at all. Also agree with those who don’t like his one hand passes too often. I mean there’s a place for that no doubt but let’s please worry about the ball getting to the right spots not how pretty it looks. He and Gaff suddenly have this pass that’s a one underhander and at times the zips not there. Please just make the right pass throw the mustard out!

Reaction Score
100%. Forgot taking 1000 shots a day or something. He needs a total form rebuild before that happens from the ground up.
Why hasn't our coaching staff worked on this? Jackson seems to have the physical equipment in all regards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom