Jackson's Jumpshot Next Year... | The Boneyard

Jackson's Jumpshot Next Year...

Reaction Score
...is the key to this team's success. If Jackson can become even serviceable then this will be a tournament team. I am assuming Akok will be back, Gaffney improves, and Hawkins/Sool can contribute. (Let's not kid ourselves though: most freshmen will be inconsistent!)

My question for analytically-minded Boneyarders: what is the empirical evidence on jumpshot improvement among college players? Even anecdotal evidence would be useful. I am cautiously optimistic based on reports of Jackson's work ethic and continued improvement during high school. However, several posters have commented that his form looks reasonably good. Really?! His free throw form looks good, but his jump shot -- especially the 3 point shot -- is in need of complete overhaul.

Athleticism can only take you so far. Skilled shooting --from Jackson, Hawkins and hopefully a dead eye transfer -- will write Uconn's chapter next season. After all, it's a Hurley team; the defense, rebounding, and grit are givens. It's the offense that hangs in the balance.

Reaction Score
...is the key to this team's success. If Jackson can become even serviceable then this will be a tournament team. I am assuming Akok will be back, Gaffney improves, and Hawkins/Sool can contribute. (Let's not kid ourselves though: most freshmen will be inconsistent!)

My question for analytically-minded Boneyarders: what is the empirical evidence on jumpshot improvement among college players? Even anecdotal evidence would be useful. I am cautiously optimistic based on reports of Javkson's work ethic and continued improvement during highs school. However, several posters have commented that his form looks reasonably good. Really?! His free throw form looks good, but his jump shot -- especially the 3 point shot -- is in need of complete overhaul.

Athleticism can only take you so far. Skilled shooting --from Jackson, Hawkins and hopefully a dead eye transfer -- will write Uconn's chapter next season. After all, it's a Hurley team; the defense, rebounding, and grit are givens. It's the offense that hangs in the balance.
Before we even look at analytics, his form needs to change. It’s really bad.

Reaction Score

My question for analytically-minded Boneyarders: what is the empirical evidence on jumpshot improvement among college players? Even anecdotal evidence would be useful. I am cautiously optimistic based on reports of Jackson's work ethic and continued improvement during high school. However, several posters have commented that his form looks reasonably good. Really?! His free throw form looks good, but his jump shot -- especially the 3 point shot -- is in need of complete overhaul.

Jackson is very nraw

Reaction Score

Lonzo Ball comes to mind...his shot was atrocious, but at least it went in a reasonable amount of the time

MKG at UK is another who simply had 0 offense, but made a living on the defensive end

Reaction Score
Jackson supposedly improved on his shot in high school by working on it constantly but he actually needs to change the form and rebuild his jump shot instead of just reps. The form will not work on any level higher than high school

100%. Forgot taking 1000 shots a day or something. He needs a total form rebuild before that happens from the ground up.

Reaction Score
He also just appears to have zero confidence in his jumper now as well. Out of Bouk’s shadow I’m confident we’ll see a markedly improved offensive player next year. Would be nice if Hurley could get the games into higher tempo ones though to let his athleticism shine more.

Reaction Score
hitting the rim once and awhile would be a big improvement, then maybe we can ignore the three fouls he gets in three minutes and the 100 mph passes he makes that just go out of bounds.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Jackson throws the ball at the rim. I guess he needs to start pitching and work on his accuracy. Maybe someone from the UConn baseball team could help him.

Reaction Score
I’m glad we’re talking about him. This guy is talented as hell ok. But he better shoot this off season til his arms fall off. I am soooooooooo tired of his lazy ass passes. He is a really good passer with good vision, but I hate his one handed lazy passes. He really needs to stop doing that. He’s too nonchalant for me.

Reaction Score
100%. Forgot taking 1000 shots a day or something. He needs a total form rebuild before that happens from the ground up.
Completely agree. A kid with his athleticism, playing where he played, he never needed a jumper. He could get to the hoop when he wanted to. It's surprising that he was allowed to work on that shot in HS.

He starts his shot in the middle of his chest. What's weird is that his free throw form isn't bad. But his jumper looks nothing like it. Once he's got a good form worked into muscle memory from set shots, then he can move on to incorporating it into a jumper. But he needs to start over.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
He fouls more than he scores. His jumper is atrocious. His rebounding and passing are his best skills.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I’m glad we’re talking about him. This guy is talented as hell ok. But he better shoot this off season til his arms fall off. I am soooooooooo tired of his lazy ass passes. He is a really good passer with good vision, but I hate his one handed lazy passes. He really needs to stop doing that. He’s too nonchalant for me.
Agree 100 percent. He’s talented but very raw. Hopefully he can improve.

Reaction Score
Lazy is the wrong word, they're overly ambitious. He needs to reign it in and learn when the easy pass is the right pass. The last word I'd use to describe AJax is lazy.

Have to wonder to what extent his broken wrist played a role in his shooting this year.

Reaction Score
Passing is one of his best skills. This is an awful "get off my lawn" take.

His shooting -- despite protestation of everyone on the BY last summer -- is atrocious. Form, results, whatever. It's awful. Nobody respects his shot, and it kills our offense when he's in there. I agree this is the biggest X factor for next year.

If he can at least be a semi-credible 3-point threat, even like 30-32%, he would be an elite player. If he can't, it gums up everything else and he's borderline unplayable. Sorry, that's just how the game works these days.

Reaction Score
Passing is one of his best skills. This is an awful "get off my lawn" take.

His shooting -- despite protestation of everyone on the BY last summer -- is atrocious. Form, results, whatever. It's awful. Nobody respects his shot, and it kills our offense when he's in there. I agree this is the biggest X factor for next year.

If he can at least be a semi-credible 3-point threat, even like 30-32%, he would be an elite player. If he can't, it gums up everything else and he's borderline unplayable. Sorry, that's just how the game works these days.
This is correct. His talent is off the charts, but if he can't shoot from anywhere on the floor he's not playable.

Reaction Score
Jackson is a raw BASKETBALL
talent; he may be a very gifted athlete that is trying to play big time basketball.
As of today, he cannot play defense without fouling.
As of today he has no offensive game.
Let's see how our coaching staff
develops this kid into a serviceable player.
He presently can make layups, tapins and does remarkably
well on free throws.
Why did not our coaching staff
work with this kid on developing
a serviceable jump shot from l2 - 15 feet?
Coaching staff needed to improve his shooting technique to keep ball up high when getting into position to release ball.
This is done in practice that develops both player skills and confidence.
Gang, this is not rocket science
but merely intelligent BB IQ.
Let's hope staff works on positives during this off
season to eliminate deficiencies and improve upon positives.
Ciao

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
a post the other day of the team at shootaround, had a clip of him shooting a baseline 3. soon afterward, another poster said 'interesting form.' it was a great clip becuz it clearly showed his very-early-in-his-career tendency (he broke some stuff and missed plenty of practice and game experience. as a freshman.). that is, he keeps his off hand on top of the ball, till late. on the one hand, that look is very common in ms, and still not unusual in hs, as hand strength is often not fully there at that age. on the udder hand, many times the shooter has a 'the ball is to big for my hands' relationship, and needs both hands to get it into position. james has rare hands that allow him to easily control the ball with either. that globetrotter move of his today, even the end where the only part of him free was 1 hand, and he flicked it in.
mr jax, and many others, simply don't have that, and since he doesn't, he will have to develope/learn 'touch' with the tools he has. will he? idk, but it is a lot more likely with his problem than it is with those whose issue is firing the ball in a straight line at the hoop, a different kind of 'touch' problem. he does have one thing in his favor - his hops, which can help with a different release dynamic as he could possibly learn to be an apex jump shooter, if that's the thinking.
also, he is obviously still growing, and mebbe his parts are still settling in.
whats he played so far, a handful of games?

that practice vid also had a sky slam by jal... ahh, jmoney. how'd he do in the big game? did he show any air force moves yet? the winged feet? im sure he did. some things just take time.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Jackson’s jump shot next year will come 2 feet short of the hoop instead of 3 feet. I figure those are swishes senior year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Jackson needs to learn how to just make the play. He goes for highlight plays every single time and it gets him in trouble on offense and defense. Also while his jumper needs major improvement, I’d love to see him learn to attack the rim with all that talent and athleticism. He never looks to attack at all, just pass. Like on that fast break where he gave it up to Bouk for three when he was under the rim. While that play worked out, I’d like for him to learn how to finish that play off himself. He should be unstoppable on fast breaks.

Reaction Score
Jackson’s defense is amazing but the open threes teams were giving him and he was passing up. He needs to develop a jumpshot that will be a difference for next year.

Reaction Score
Hire Ray Allen to be his shooting tutor.

He just needs to spend the next 6 months shooting daily. It's up to him how good he wants to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom