Jackson’s defensive rebounding | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jackson’s defensive rebounding

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
His frosh season was a loss due to being a frosh and the injury

This season is growth and he's getting killer minutes. He plays in 5th gear even when the game should be paced slower.

Next season will be phenomenal. And he should be getting every rebound by the ease he gets the ones he gets.

Love watching his effort.

Reaction Score
In addition to simply grabbing all those defensive rebounds, its much better for us when its Jackson versus anyone else on the team. He gets the board and immediately looks to quickly move the ball up the court. Much better than a big guy holding until he can locate Cole to bring it up. Really good for the transition game.

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
Don’t think his impact will be as a scorer will be the reason he is successful. I think he’ll improve his ppg to 10 or 11. His athleticism and do it all (for real) nature is what makes him special.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Daniel Hamilton
DHam could score the ball
Big difference

AJ will never be a scorer because he cannot shoot the median jumper due to his mechanics. He is a great defensive rebounder because of his hops he can grab those long rebounds off of the missed shots.
I am so surprised that nobody has been successful in changing his mechanics - I understand that some will say that one of the Ball boys has the same type of release but it is much quicker and Ball gets to the hoop with ease to offset the median jumper issue - AJ is not that kind of a penetrator to the hoop

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DHam could score the ball
Big difference

AJ will never be a scorer because he cannot shoot the median jumper due to his mechanics. He is a great defensive rebounder because of his hops he can grab those long rebounds off of the missed shots.
I am so surprised that nobody has been successful in changing his mechanics - I understand that some will say that one of the Ball boys has the same type of release but it is much quicker and Ball gets to the hoop with ease to offset the median jumper issue - AJ is not that kind of a penetrator to the hoop
Just meant DHam was a better rebounder

Reaction Score
Hes also a deadzone on offense. How many times does he have a chance to go to the basket for two and possibly a foul and he makes a wild pass which gets turned over or gets to the open guy only to miss the shot or not be ready for the pass. He has absolutley no touch around the basket.
I would tell him to simply push it right to the basket every time there’s even a slim seem. He’s got to be much more aggressive to the hoop for either slam lay up get fouled. Don’t necessarily defer with a pass and please get rid of that soft floater.

Reaction Score
Jackson is so much fun to watch, like a superball that gains speed on the second bounce. And he's a great following force when a teammate makes a breakaway, often in the air for a possible rebound on a made layup by another Husky.

Reaction Score
What we desperately need at the 2/3 is firepower, and we will have it next year, even it Martin leaves, in the form of Hawk, Floyd and Karaban. We cannot have AJ logging 32 minutes at the 3. If Cole is back, AJ becomes the 4, and his present set of skills makes him a potential dynamo at that position. He doesn't have to be a shooter. He does need to become a more consistent offensive rebounder, and he does need to develop an effective Daniel Hamilton passing relationship with the 5 position.

I say, "if Cole is back," because if Cole leaves, Jackson becomes, crazily, our best hope for the PG position. To imagine either Gaffney or Diggins as our lead point next year is to put a cap on the season before it even begins. We must all pray for Cole's return, but AJ is the alternative hope, and that's where the improvements outlined in this thread will be needed.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@Nick2005 I'm going to guess you're not crazy and Jackson is definitely not awful. There are things he can't/won't do that frustrate fans but there is so much good he does do that makes his glass more than half full. I just re-read your post and you want Gaffney over Jackson. You might be a little cray-cray.

Reaction Score
Jackson only knows how to play at one speed. When he learns to slow down and speed up, he will destroy defenders.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
He’s an outstanding defensive rebounder. That said, if he’s not there Whaley, Sanogo and Martin, not to mention Cole would be grabbing many of those. And Hawkins is showing he can board.

I saw those plays when he got the ball with the baseline drive open, and was shocked he didn’t take it in. Not only that, he didn’t even look for it. His outside shot will never be a thing of beauty, but he’s got to be able to drive and finish with his ball handling ability. And yes, right now he’s a poor man’s Daniel Hamilton

Reaction Score
AJ plays at the speed I’d like to see us function as a team. Too fast sometimes for sure and may not have the right personnel but would love to attack more.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I’d really like to see us get him involved in the offense in some capacity. 5/6 points for a kid playing 30 minutes isn’t cutting it. His dunks really energize the team and crowd. I wonder why we don’t look for him on back screen dunks/alley oops more often. Maybe he has trouble catching them in practice? Maybe we don’t have anyone else who can throw them? He plays on the perimeter without the ball way too much imo.

Reaction Score
I’d really like to see us get him involved in the offense in some capacity. 5/6 points for a kid playing 30 minutes isn’t cutting it. His dunks really energize the team and crowd. I wonder why we don’t look for him on back screen dunks/alley oops more often. Maybe he has trouble catching them in practice? Maybe we don’t have anyone else who can throw them? He plays on the perimeter without the ball way too much imo.
I wondered the same thing. Bouk had bunches of the back screen lobs. Maybe the Jackson defender is too slacked off? Why not get a few for Hawkins then?

Reaction Score

We have plays for Jackson lobs all the time. They don't work because he's essentially a non-threat to score anywhere else. His defender is basically in the dunker spot unless he's dribbling the ball.

Reaction Score
Back screen dunks/alley oops are there.. You've got to have the ball in the hands of someone who can deliver those passes to him.

Can't tell you how many times the last few games that some of our other ball handlers aren't even looking for him even when he's open. So his contribution this year is as a rebounder/defender/passer/good teammate. His time will come.

Reaction Score
Pre-season I said he would have a successful year if we could get 8/5/3 out of him on decent percentages and defense... currently he's rolling in at 7.0/7.6/2.7 on decent percentages and excellent defense. I think it's fair to say the season is a success. We couldn't expect the kid to totally revamp his game over the course of the one summer. He's cut down on his fouls a ton and learned how to shoot a basic catch and shoot 3... that is the product of a VERY successful summer.

Sometimes it's hard to forget how much he helps the team on defense, pushing the ball, playing faster, etc just because some of his TOs are so mind-numbingly bad. And the inability to score AT ALL. And that god-awful floater... it can be really frustrating, but these are reps that Andre needs to flourish as a player.

Junior jackson cutting his TOs by a 1/3 is an even better player. Junior jackson that cut his TOs by 1/3 and learns how to make 2 layups a game is a BEAST.
The current version of Jackson is a most disruptive beast in a good way for the Huskies. His nose for rebounds and quick bounds downcourt are amazing. He sure adds the spices to the stew. He will only get and make other players better during his time with us. Live with it, enjoy the ride!

Reaction Score
Your right, we don't play him to his current strength, and he still grabs 10+ rebounds a game. Some of our pieces don't quite fit but when they do, for some minutes of each game, we are amazing and fun to watch. We are in a dream state!

Reaction Score
Jackson is a very capable athlete. Sanogo as well. They both are part of the core that makes us the physical team we are. I'm starting to ask myself if they'll both be around 4 years. I really really hope so.

Reaction Score
This is an incredibly odd team. I feel like we are in a Madden video game where someone picked 5 Dennis Rodman's as their starting lineup. We just hoist shots at will, pass to no one, rarely drive to the rim but can also jump through the roof when needed.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Love the rebounding and the energy. His high motor is freakishly efficient and really unlike anything I've seen since Rodman. Rarely does he appear to be gassed. That along with, as Donnie always reminds us, "his Olympic-like athleticism" gives him and UConn a competitive advantage anytime he's on the floor.

Maybe a few less Maravich-like passes would lead to fewer turnovers. In one sequence, St. Johns played him for the pass following his board and push, he had a lane to the hole, but opted to kick to the corner nearly leading to a turnover. My recommendation, less Maravich videos, more Dr. J, Gervin, Jordan, etc., videos of guys who mastered creative finishes around the bucket. Once AJax gets this, please watch out.

Reaction Score
I think Jackson is a better defender that DHam. I recall DHam losing his man at very bad times near the end of games.

Reaction Score
He probably helped to give us an extra 5-6 points yesterday just from his rebounding effort, which led to so many extra possessions. Having a guy like that is so huge on those days when we are shooting at a low percentage, which happens all too often. I get frustrated with the fastballs he throws to Sanogo and the 5 foot floaters that hardly ever fall. Still hard for me to complain when I see Jackson pulling down double digit rebounds so many times. Any talk of giving him less minutes is just silly.

Exactly he did help us no doubt. But the 5 turnovers also gave those back more than likely. He just needs to slow down to be better. Stop at the foul line on occasion look at the cutters maybe even a trailer or even just take it to the rack strong and draw a foul. He should get better eventually long way to go.

A for instance yesterday he comes down and drops a pass off to Martin who’s set up for 3 in the corner. Of course many would say “well Rese should have cut to the basket” wrong answer. He just made 3 threes in a row he needs to know that just get it to him where he’s en fuego don’t assume.

Great vision and rebounding so much to look forward to but for now cut down on the errors they all hurt, not just him though everyone same with RJ.

Reaction Score
Just meant DHam was a better rebounder
I’d like to see Ajax on the receiving end of some of the alley oop lobs Hamilton used to throw to the likes of Brimah, etc. Why are we not running more set plays to leverage his athleticism?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom