Jackson’s defensive rebounding | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jackson’s defensive rebounding

Reaction Score
I’d like to see Ajax on the receiving end of some of the alley oop lobs Hamilton used to throw to the likes of Brimah, etc. Why are we not running more set plays to leverage his athleticism?
It’s not us it’s him. He doesn’t take advantage of his athleticism enough. He is scared to shoot in the lane.

Reaction Score
It’s not us it’s him. He doesn’t take advantage of his athleticism enough. He is scared to shoot in the lane.
The guy can jump out of the building. Not even talking about shooting. We need to run some simple plays where he can just dunk the ball.

Reaction Score
he is unable to create enough space to release his shot. He has to be square and needs time to set. The defense gives him enough space to prevent the drive, but they can close out before he can shoot because of his shooting mechanics. He does not have an off the dribble move, and no step back, both are nearly impossible due to his technique. This should have been fixed a long time ago.
He got a lot better in one year, but I don't get how someone with that advanced athleticism, dribbling, passing skills and instinct can have such a rudimentary offensive game. Hurley done wonders with him already. This frustrated me about Drummond too.

What are they doing in Albany? The AAU and just play games culture is killing guys like this. It is going to cost him money.

If he was sent to a European academy, like Dirk, Luka Donic and guys like that, you guys have any idea how his skills would look?

I love the creativity of American players, they are not robots and have great instincts. But he plays like the hoop he is playing had no net, was bent and there was a constant 15 MPH winds. He has the entire athletic package, the instincts and motor. But lacks the easiest thing to develop on basketball, shooting. Go figure.

Reaction Score

He only has the tear drop in the lane that I have seen to date and it’s not going in consistently. He is an athletic freak, but he is neither a shooter or scorer at this point.

Reaction Score
He only has the tear drop in the lane that I have seen to date and it’s not going in consistently. He is an athletic freak, but he is neither a shooter or scorer at this point.
From what I can recall, it’s not going in at all

Reaction Score
He’s the best passer and the worst passer all in one. Problem is he has good vision but never throws the normal pass often enough instead prefers to look pretty too often cutting the mustard, which he’s not very good at. He can be a terrific passer but needs to just play and finish his passes.
Vision and decision-making are two very different things.

Reaction Score
I am from Albany.

The local AAU program - The City Rocks - is one of the very best regionally. So good ... that you will find kids from Syracuse and west + NYC/Westchester traveling to be on that team. Andre Jackson also played for Brian Fruscio who is one of the finest HS basketball coaches regionally at Albany Academy - Fruscio is from a deep family tradition of hoop.

I read through this thread quickly. IF you took out the phrase "defensive rebounding", I think 96% of you did not address one of his top attributes: defensive mindset, fundamentals and enthusiasm of that aspect of the game. He is a great defender and has the capacity to defend 1-5. His box out mechanics are excellent; thus, his rebounding on that end follows. He has the athleticism and the want-to and the toughness. He is most like Rodman here.

On offense, I would whisper in his ear daily: go Strong and dunk. Or just get near the hoop and learn to use the backboard. You can see he has the correct mind to shape his body to get the shot.

Before you knock Albany on shooters - Jimmer Fredette, Joe Girard, Kevin Huerter. There are great fundamental teaching on shooting. Huerter's Dad - for instance. I think the lack of development of AJ offense is because everything was so easy for him playing that he dominated defenders just with quicks. Passing? He needs to tone down the creativity about 30%. A good pass for a score; no one gives points for the really incredible looks.

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson also played for Brian Fruscio who is one of the finest HS basketball coaches regionally at Albany Academy - Fruscio is from a deep family tradition of hoop.

I mean, they play almost exclusively a 23 zone and Andre left after 4 years with a shot that looks like a 5th-grader. I'm sure he has his solid qualities as a coach, but there's gotta be some questions on his ability to coach kids up at this point.

Reaction Score
One thing I'm seeing is that Andre's ball handling has gotten much better as this season has progressed. It is much tighter, more decisive, quicker. In transition he is kicking ass getting the ball up the floor, and also facilitating from the top of the arc the ball is moving much better.

He is learning fast; hopefully, aggressive drives to the hoop and mid-range post ups with a quick step to the basket are coming real soon.

Reaction Score
I am from Albany.

The local AAU program - The City Rocks - is one of the very best regionally. So good ... that you will find kids from Syracuse and west + NYC/Westchester traveling to be on that team. Andre Jackson also played for Brian Fruscio who is one of the finest HS basketball coaches regionally at Albany Academy - Fruscio is from a deep family tradition of hoop.

I read through this thread quickly. IF you took out the phrase "defensive rebounding", I think 96% of you did not address one of his top attributes: defensive mindset, fundamentals and enthusiasm of that aspect of the game. He is a great defender and has the capacity to defend 1-5. His box out mechanics are excellent; thus, his rebounding on that end follows. He has the athleticism and the want-to and the toughness. He is most like Rodman here.

On offense, I would whisper in his ear daily: go Strong and dunk. Or just get near the hoop and learn to use the backboard. You can see he has the correct mind to shape his body to get the shot.

Before you knock Albany on shooters - Jimmer Fredette, Joe Girard, Kevin Huerter. There are great fundamental teaching on shooting. Huerter's Dad - for instance. I think the lack of development of AJ offense is because everything was so easy for him playing that he dominated defenders just with quicks. Passing? He needs to tone down the creativity about 30%. A good pass for a score; no one gives points for the really incredible looks.
What you Mentioned makes his lack of offensive game more astounding to me. He has great basketball skill dribbling, vision wise, and you are right —- terrific rebounder, defender and I like his motor. The shot got a lot better.

But, offensive footwork is somehow missing in his game. It is weird because he would probably be a perfect basketball player if he had it. TBH, how many great athletes — like noticeably superior to other great athletes — have his kind of motor? He plays hard and is relentless. That is as impressive as his physical gifts.

Reaction Score
I mean, they play almost exclusively a 23 zone and Andre left after 4 years with a shot that looks like a 5th-grader. I'm sure he has his solid qualities as a coach, but there's gotta be some questions on his ability to coach kids up at this point.

OK ...

Fruscio is coaching at the elite Private school in Albany & greater area. The classes are small. I'm not sure how many per class (it is all boys - girls academy is across the street); my kids went there PreK thru the first few grades. Frankly, it is the higher income levels and immigrant family kids. Talented hoop kids get recruited to the local Catholic HS - Christian Brothers. Fruscio probably doesn't have many scholarships. Jackson, in my view, must also be an outstanding student; btw, his younger brother also went there and played alongside him. I think they played zone because of the small class size and limited top hoop talent.

IMHO ... Jackson should have learned offense in summer leagues and camps; and all the local universities have top teams to play against. Like Hartford. Home (City Rocks website) Jim Hart, a Albany attorney runs the City Rocks, and the talent that has come through there is impressive. I think kids develop more in AAU and outside HS today.

My ODD take: this kinda reminds me or Rashamel Jones. He dominated HS because he was physically superior at the younger ages. At UCONN, he had a key role early and as our talent base blossomed, he didn't have the same offensive role. I don't think this is Jackson because my perception is the kid is a worker. But he needs specific skill instruction ...

Reaction Score
He could be s great defender with some better thinking and staying on his feet but for now anyone saying he’s terrific is not watching close. Gets beat back door and off the dribble way too often. He’s a drifter on D looking to make plays off the ball in anticipation rather than staying home. Has work to do but all the tools.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He could be s great defender with some better thinking and staying on his feet but for now anyone saying he’s terrific is not watching close. Gets beat back door and off the dribble way too often. He’s a drifter on D looking to make plays off the ball in anticipation rather than staying home. Has work to do but all the tools.
You’re being a little too critical of his defense. He’s a very very good defender. Tough to get a shot off against him.

Reaction Score
I am from Albany.

Fruscio had nothing to do with the great albany shooters - Fredette, Girard (Glens Falls) and Huerter (Shen). The guys who are serious about it go to Dags Basketball.

Fruscio capitalized on recruiting kids this into academy. AJ should have been going to Amsterdam HS. Fruscio may have helped his exposure but he didn’t help his shot. He is very well though of in Albany

City Rocks pulls a lot of kids Isiah Stewart, Tobias Harris, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fruscio had nothing to do with the great albany shooters - Fredette, Girard (Glens Falls) and Huerter (Shen). The guys who are serious about it go to Dags Basketball.

Fruscio capitalized on recruiting kids this into academy. AJ should have been going to Amsterdam HS. Fruscio may have helped his exposure but he didn’t help his shot. He is very well though of in Albany

City Rocks pulls a lot of kids Isiah Stewart, Tobias Harris, etc, etc.

Dags Basketball really gets you into the weeds of local lore - that kid played in the Suburban Council (I can't tell the uniform); but that's an outstanding resume. The point is that there are LOTS of guys who are great shooters in the region and AJ just did not get shooting form skilled. I NEVER said Fruscio was involved with the others.

Second. Do you know how expensive Albany Academy is? He may recruit kids; but there ain't that many. IF ... I wanted the dominant regional team, CBA can bring in 3-5 in every class; there's no way Fruscio gives out many scholarships. My presumption is Jackson's parents saw what an enormous opportunity Jackson got at Academy; and he also is a great diligent student. That school does not want black marks on academics; they care what Harvard, Columbia, Princeton think and not what the hoop teams doing. Given the above: there is no damn way I would send my kid Andre Jackson (and then his brother) to Amsterdam as it probably is not ranked amongst the top 40 academic systems in greater Albany.

City Rocks website. They have an incredible number of teams. Boys and Girls. And NOW, they are in every upstate city with different teams - Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany. At all different ages. It is a conglomerate.

Reaction Score
You’re being a little too critical of his defense. He’s a very very good defender. Tough to get a shot off against him.

I disagree also with mauconnfan.

First time since the beginning of the Boneyard. I think the number of overplaying mistakes by AJ is more than made up by his huge number of touches on passes, his impact on help defense on teammates assignments and he is always leverage correct when the ball goes up to box out. Despite great jumping athleticism, I feel he does not try to block most all balls; rather, he is working to get the rebound - first with the block out. He works on the perimeter too: gets low enough to be a pest.

Reaction Score
Dags Basketball really gets you into the weeds of local lore - that kid played in the Suburban Council (I can't tell the uniform); but that's an outstanding resume. The point is that there are LOTS of guys who are great shooters in the region and AJ just did not get shooting form skilled. I NEVER said Fruscio was involved with the others.

Second. Do you know how expensive Albany Academy is? He may recruit kids; but there ain't that many. IF ... I wanted the dominant regional team, CBA can bring in 3-5 in every class; there's no way Fruscio gives out many scholarships. My presumption is Jackson's parents saw what an enormous opportunity Jackson got at Academy; and he also is a great diligent student. That school does not want black marks on academics; they care what Harvard, Columbia, Princeton think and not what the hoop teams doing. Given the above: there is no damn way I would send my kid Andre Jackson (and then his brother) to Amsterdam as it probably is not ranked amongst the top 40 academic systems in greater Albany.

City Rocks website. They have an incredible number of teams. Boys and Girls. And NOW, they are in every upstate city with different teams - Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany. At all different ages. It is a conglomerate.
I know a lot about the cost of academy and its rep.

Who is comparing Amsterdam academically to Academy, nobody. IIf you want to get a good education go prep to deerfield, kent, etc. Academy tries to be a prep but it isnt. One of the reason my neighbor pulled his kids out - way too much Albany not a broader perspective.

Edit - i work with lot of section 2 schools athletic departmentd

Reaction Score

Why in the world should he have gone to Amsterdam? Granted, I haven't been plugged into Section 2 in years but have they been relevant since Todd Cetnar played there? And it's a terrible school to boot.

Reaction Score
I know a lot about the cost of academy and its rep.

Who is comparing Amsterdam academically to Academy, nobody. IIf you want to get a good education go prep to deerfield, kent, etc. Academy tries to be a prep but it isnt. One of the reason my neighbor pulled his kids out - way too much Albany not a broader perspective.

Edit - i work with lot of section 2 schools athletic departmentd

You said he should have gone to Amsterdam High School. No parent would choose that if they had choice. And sure I went to Canterbury from Colonie ... so I understand this discussion. I doubt many kids from his background chooses NE prep over the ride to Albany Academy with his brother. (my EDIT - we are not talking post-grad hoop)

Then. I know the Academy. It is what I said at first. Lots of entitled upper class kids from the broader area - read suburbs; and the immigrant children of the area's doctors, professors, tech. Therefore, your description is correct.

Reaction Score

Agree to disagree with you and Pudge on this. Of course he does make a couple plays but that’s because he floats too much and hence the many burns back door, more than anyone else. I will say down the stretch against the Johnnies he stayed home on his guy a couple times and on his feet making big things plays. But he gets beat a lot as he overplays. Sorry he can be really good, he’s not for now.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He is a terrific passer and vision. He didn’t execute on Sunday. Most of it is because he tries to be too quick. Just needs to learn ball control and patience.

He’s easily the best passer in the team though. Probably the only one on the team where passing is a real strength.
Agreed. we need to surround him with scorers. I’ve said all season he sees the play develop before our teammates do. He tries to get the ball to them just a bit too early and by sometimes leading them with the pass. He does have to clean it up though especially being our second PG

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree with you and Pudge on this. Of course he does make a couple plays but that’s because he floats too much and hence the many burns back door, more than anyone else. I will say down the stretch against the Johnnies he stayed home on his guy a couple times and on his feet making big things plays. But he gets beat a lot as he overplays. Sorry he can be really good, he’s not for now.

Pretty much every defensive metric has him as the best defender on our team. The eye test only gets you so far.

Reaction Score
He is a great defender and has the capacity to defend 1-5.

I don’t agree with this. He can be a great defender but not when he is consistently beaten off the dribble and his man takes it to the basket. Many of his defensive fouls are in this scenario.

Reaction Score
Pretty much every defensive metric has him as the best defender on our team. The eye test only gets you so far.

It’s not the eye test sorry, it’s the truth. Wish I had time it would be simple. Defensive “metrics” also had Gaff as one of the top 10 Big East defenders as well so I know my eye test is more solid than the metrics. At least according to me lol.

Listen I like the kid a Ton and there’s so much there. But the improvement on guarding people and making good decisions when not slowing down on the break will make him really good even if he can’t shoot the ball.

Reaction Score
It’s not the eye test sorry, it’s the truth. Wish I had time it would be simple. Defensive “metrics” also had Gaff as one of the top 10 Big East defenders as well so I know my eye test is more solid than the metrics. At least according to me lol.

Listen I like the kid a Ton and there’s so much there. But the improvement on guarding people and making good decisions when not slowing down on the break will make him really good even if he can’t shoot the ball.

Gaffney just doesn't have a big enough sample size for that to really be relevant.

You may say it's the "truth," but it IS your eye test. There's really no denying that. That's just a stupid thing to say. Plenty of people here disagree with you, the most objective measures of defensive ability we have disagree with you... but somehow your eye test (which somehow isn't an eye test) is the only accurate take?

That's absolutely nonsensical gibberish.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom