Jackson’s defensive rebounding | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jackson’s defensive rebounding

Reaction Score
AJ is disruptive on defense. .Deflections/tipped passes/loose balls/defensive boards/occasional blocks.. Frequently leading to initiating the offense heading down court where his vision and passing come in.

Would be a different dynamic on offense if his teammates ever rewarded him for his defensive efforts by throwing him an occasional back door pass/lob pass when running the base line if the initial shots weren't there.. Similar to rewarding a Big for blocking a shot-running the floor- and receiving a pass for a layup/dunk.

There are sequences where the only opportunity for him to touch the ball is on a rebound/dribbling up court. Running a play for him(within his skill set) -occasionally- would certainly surprise the defense and force them to guard him and free up his teammates for one-on-one coverage. BTW-I am not saying setting up a three pointer/jump shot.

Reaction Score
Not talked about enough. Another absurd 14 rebound performance on the defensive boards. The best defensive rebounding guard/wing to ever put on a UConn uniform?
Sticks doesn’t get talked about enough

Games of 10 boards+:

Freshman: 2
Sophomore: 6
Junior: 6
Senior: 8

And he played with the likes of Hasheem, Adrian, Oriakhi

Reaction Score
Gaffney just doesn't have a big enough sample size for that to really be relevant.

You may say it's the "truth," but it IS your eye test. There's really no denying that. That's just a stupid thing to say. Plenty of people here disagree with you, the most objective measures of defensive ability we have disagree with you... but somehow your eye test (which somehow isn't an eye test) is the only accurate take?

That's absolutely nonsensical gibberish.

It’s not and although there are plenty who agree with you promise there’s plenty who disagree. It’s ridiculous to watch and think you are totally right you’re not close. Maybe I’m too far to the negative but far from off base at all. So you always believe you’re the almighty on this one we aren’t close and the object measures you speak of are the jibbersish. He gets beat often period no denying that fact. Blind if thinking otherwise. Again ability is all there but consistency not there yet.

But continue hammering me I can handle it, and I know my eyes are still damn good!!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It’s not and although there are plenty who agree with you promise there’s plenty who disagree. It’s ridiculous to watch and think you are totally right you’re not close. Maybe I’m too far to the negative but far from off base at all. So you always believe you’re the almighty on this one we aren’t close and the object measures you speak of are the jibbersish. He gets beat often period no denying that fact. Blind if thinking otherwise. Again ability is all there but consistency not there yet.

But continue hammering me I can handle it, and I know my eyes are still damn good!!

I think the issue with the eye test is you see him get beat back door sometimes, and it's frustrating, so that sticks out to you. So every time it happens those negative feelings immediately follow. There's no denying he does get beat sometimes, but there are many other times where his man either doesn't get the ball, or doesn't even attempt to go to the hoop because he's walled off, or even times where Andre is beat on the first step but recovers to contest or even block the shot. The bad plays exist, but in my opinion they're more than cancelled out by the good.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that AJ getting beat back door is more of a symptom of the defense, not that he’s completely faultless. We’re constantly helping on defense, most notably hedging on screens. Every time this happens, someone (usually Tyrese or Andre) has to be prepared to help our big who is hedging, which means taking their eyes off their man. Smart offensive players are gonna time their cuts around this, and a couple times a game they’re gonna get open looks.

Reaction Score
I think the issue with the eye test is you see him get beat back door sometimes, and it's frustrating, so that sticks out to you. So every time it happens those negative feelings immediately follow. There's no denying he does get beat sometimes, but there are many other times where his man either doesn't get the ball, or doesn't even attempt to go to the hoop because he's walled off, or even times where Andre is beat on the first step but recovers to contest or even block the shot. The bad plays exist, but in my opinion they're more than cancelled out by the good.

Some of that no doubt I will give you that. But his back door beatings aren’t the only thing but it does stick. He does play good D occasionally as well but maybe evens up the bad? Sure but that doesn’t make him a very good or great defender as some believe. He’s not but I certainly hope he eventually is.

No one here’s an expert so who knows. But people who think my take is stupid and gibberish while theirs is the almighty piss me off.

Done, let’s beat The Hall.

Reaction Score
Some of that no doubt I will give you that. But his back door beatings aren’t the only thing but it does stick. He does play good D occasionally as well but maybe evens up the bad? Sure but that doesn’t make him a very good or great defender as some believe. He’s not but I certainly hope he eventually is.

No one here’s an expert so who knows. But people who think my take is stupid and gibberish while theirs is the almighty piss me off.

Done, let’s beat The Hall.

How about our own coach? Does he count as an expert? He's praised Andre's defense a number of times.

The gibberish was you claiming that your eye test wasn't an eye test. Still is gibberish.

Reaction Score
How about our own coach? Does he count as an expert? He's praised Andre's defense a number of times.

The gibberish was you claiming that your eye test wasn't an eye test. Still is gibberish.

Ok know it all. I never say I’m 100 percent right but I do know when people get beat off the dribble in my eye sight and when their man scores after being torched back door again and again. So you thinking your mr coach of the year means zero to me. And calling me stupid and telling me my stuff is gibberish makes you an arrogant idiot. But thanks good to know those around us. If you just disagree I’m good but to act like everyone but you has no idea, well you are who you are! Well done

Reaction Score
Ok know it all. I never say I’m 100 percent right but I do know when people get beat off the dribble in my eye sight and when their man scores after being torched back door again and again. So you thinking your mr coach of the year means zero to me. And calling me stupid and telling me my stuff is gibberish makes you an arrogant idiot. But thanks good to know those around us. If you just disagree I’m good but to act like everyone but you has no idea, well you are who you are! Well done

I don't coach any more. Haven't in two years. I'm not even sure if Andre is as good of a defender as I think. I do know our defensive system involves our wings pressuring the nall intensely and denying the pass to the win--which tends to lead to more backcuts.

still, I'm happy to hang my hat on understanding that the eye test is subjective. Sadly, you can't say the same. Or at least couldn't until you hedged your bet in this post.

Your opinion on Andre's defense isn't gibberish. Thinking an eye test isn't is an eye test is gibberish. And I would argue that makes you the arrogant idiot. Trying some backhanded weird insult of calling me "mr coach of the year" isn't arrogant, but it is a stupid insult.

Good effort though!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom