It's now fair to wonder about coaching . . . | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It's now fair to wonder about coaching . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What bothers me is that if Goodwin's last shot misses/if we made one more stupid duck*ing tip-in, this post doesn't happen. Nobody would be "worried about Ollie" if we won. If this were a blowout, I would understand people freaking out about his lack of coaching acumen. But this game could have literally gone either way, and if we eked out the win, nobody would've given a rat's ass about Ollie.
What bothers me is the guy just won a freaking NC...
And he did it by out coaching some serious talent...

Lightening in a bottle I suppose.

Reaction Score

What bothers me is the number of posters that are heaping mess emotionally. Either we win and the players are NBA bound while on our way to another NC or we lose and want to fire the coach, bench all of the same players and burn down Gampel.

Reaction Score
Calhoun over Rodney? That's may be the most hilarious and ridiculous thought of the year. Omar played very hard the other night I agree but his overall game and impact is usually not very positive at all, especially the WHOLE 2nd half of the season. He can't guard anyone, really he's almost the worst defender on the team. His 3 pt shooting % has stayed in the 30's somehow after a pretty hot start to the year but hasn't made a big one or 2 in a row since early season when the hope was back. The kids struggling again for whatever reason. To begin to think you should put him in for a guy who got 28 for you the other night is insane!

Reaction Score
hell, I wish Taliek Brown's stroke from 3 could filter into TSAM.
He was 1 for 17 his junior year. Maybe the next 3 for TSAM will tie him there.

Taliek was 17 for 75 from 3 for his career...with 53 of those attempts--and 15 of those makes--coming in his Freshman and Sophomore years.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
He was 1 for 17 his junior year. Maybe the next 3 for TSAM will tie him there.

Taliek was 17 for 75 from 3 for his career...with 53 of those attempts--and 15 of those makes--coming in his Freshman and Sophomore years.

I still find it funny that TSAM finally hit one but it was after a whistle.

Reaction Score

Bottom line is coaching can't cover up lack of talent and ability, In short , we have no post player's or anyone who can rebound and get a put back. I could go on about Calhoun and his lack of ball handling skill for a top 50 guard or that Tsam has no game away from the rim. I could go on but its all in here somewhere. They are just breaking hearts and its tough to take. Ollie is Ollie and yes we have a NC with him so people chill. Maybe by Sunday all will be healed!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Calhoun over Rodney? That's may be the most hilarious and ridiculous thought of the year. Omar played very hard the other night I agree but his overall game and impact is usually not very positive at all, especially the WHOLE 2nd half of the season. He can't guard anyone, really he's almost the worst defender on the team. His 3 pt shooting % has stayed in the 30's somehow after a pretty hot start to the year but hasn't made a big one or 2 in a row since early season when the hope was back. The kids struggling again for whatever reason. To begin to think you should put him in for a guy who got 28 for you the other night is insane!
It seems he also forgot that KO started OC for a stretch and kept him in the starting role in spite of the things you point out, hoping he would get his confidence back. It's not insanity btw. It's a bias that most likely is the result of something about Rodney that disturbs him so much his arguments become extremely flawed. But here's the bigger issue. Why is such a flawed postulation getting very little rebuttal?

Reaction Score
This loss was not on Ollie. I have no problem putting in a senior walk on for a series when your team is down 12 and lifeless. Ollie had to do something to shake this team up and on senior night he elected to be a class guy. Nothing wrong with that and no, that didn't cost them the game. The problem tonight was execution and down the stretch, we were simply awful.

Even mentioning Dan Guess's cameo is bizarre. We spend all year, in all sports, listening to whining that kids who haven't earned playing time aren't getting a chance and the fans can't see that they are not getting playing time for a reason. Then, on a senior night, a walk on WHO SPENT TWO YEARS AS A BACK OF THE ROTATION SCHOLARSHIP PLAYER IN THE A-TEN, playing a position where we've been getting nothing off the bench gets a shot and it means our coach isn't good enough.

The Board as a whole should be banned for this one. It would be nice if people remember that at the time you make a decision you don't actually get to know in advance how it will turn out.

Reaction Score
Um, it was pretty easy to know how that one was gonna turn out ahead of time.

It's absurd that anyone is defending that move.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Cheeky values consistent effort and potential. Even if it is consistently bad.

Reaction Score
Our last 5 losses:
6, 3, 4, 11, 3 ppg (5.3 ppg) on 10 of 45 shooting (about 22%), 4 of 12 from the line (33% from line), 4 assists (.8 per game), 9 TOs (2 per game).
In about 30 minutes a game.

It's nice that Purvis has the potential to put up 30 on any given night..
But you have to give up something to get that. You have to give up the every-fourth or fifth game stinker that's going to make it extremely hard for the team to win.

I'd rather have a guy who is never going to hit 30 points, who isn't going to have Top Ten dunks, but who is going to consistently shoot 70% from the line, get a couple of assists, and find ways to help the team even when he's not shooting.

Not sure why that's such an extreme position to take.

People focus way too much on scoring. Guy puts up 29 points in one game, suddenly there is no way you can sit him.

You don't win by scoring points. You win by scoring more points than your opponent.

Reaction Score
Our last 5 losses:
6, 3, 4, 11, 3 ppg (5.3 ppg) on 10 of 45 shooting (about 22%), 4 of 12 from the line (33% from line), 4 assists (.8 per game), 9 TOs (2 per game).
In about 30 minutes a game.

It's nice that Purvis has the potential to put up 30 on any given night..
But you have to give up something to get that. You have to give up the every-fourth or fifth game stinker that's going to make it extremely hard for the team to win.

I'd rather have a guy who is never going to hit 30 points, who isn't going to have Top Ten dunks, but who is going to consistently shoot 70% from the line, get a couple of assists, and find ways to help the team even when he's not shooting.

Not sure why that's such an extreme position to take.

People focus way too much on scoring. Guy puts up 29 points in one game, suddenly there is no way you can sit him.

You don't win by scoring points. You win by scoring more points than your opponent.

I guess i will ask because I don't have that kind of time and really could care less, who else had real good stats in those games and played well besides maybe Boat, maybe Ham? Easy to pick one person out to blame I guess for some, others tend to like to see there is potential since he's not going anywhere and will be a Husky again. But again, you would rather see Omar so that's all i need to know! :eek:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I guess i will ask because I don't have that kind of time and really could care less, who else had real good stats in those games and played well besides maybe Boat, maybe Ham? Easy to pick one person out to blame I guess for some, others tend to like to see there is potential since he's not going anywhere and will be a Husky again. But again, you would rather see Omar so that's all i need to know! :eek:
I'm just ticked I missed you and ny going at it. If RP didn't have the SMU game there would be a lot of members in this forum piling on with Cheeky. As it stands most are at least not making his case for now.

My take is that UConn doesn't win the ECU game or the SMU game if it wasn't for Rodney or if KO followed Cheeky's advice.

Reaction Score
I'm just ticked I missed you and ny going at it. If RP didn't have the SMU game there would be a lot of members in this forum piling on with Cheeky. As it stands most are at least not making his case for now.

My take is that UConn doesn't win the ECU game or the SMU game if it wasn't for Rodney or if KO followed Cheeky's advice.

Bingo. He has potential I will not say he's been real good at all as we all are impatient with inconsistency. But I like his potential to go back to the drawing board this summer and work on the things. The kid has it all but needs to figure it out and hopefully he does. Not asking for 28 pt games, just a consistent 14/5/3 guy.

Reaction Score
I guess i will ask because I don't have that kind of time and really could care less, who else had real good stats in those games and played well
Mau - you have almost 12,000 posts in 3.5 years. You average almost 10 posts a day. I'm not sure if you have "that" kind of time, but you have plenty of time in any event!
Who else had "real good stats"?

You think that is the measure?

We don't need "real good" stats. That was pretty much my entire point.

We just have trouble winning with "all around dismal" stats, which is what Rod put up in our last 5 losses.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if people remember that at the time you make a decision you don't actually get to know in advance how it will turn out.
I had a prospective client who had stuck his phallus in a running blender and wanted to sue the Hamilton Beach company for the severe injury that occurred.
When I asked him why he decided to stick his in a running blender, he said - I crap you not - "Remember that at the time I made the decision I didn't actually get to know in advance how it was going to turn out."

On the bright side, while I was not able to win him any award, he made some money appearing as a guest on the "will it blend" YouTube video series. And yes, it did blend.

Reaction Score
Mau - you have almost 12,000 posts in 3.5 years. You average almost 10 posts a day. I'm not sure if you have "that" kind of time, but you have plenty of time in any event!
Who else had "real good stats"?

You think that is the measure?

We don't need "real good" stats. That was pretty much my entire point.

We just have trouble winning with "all around dismal" stats, which is what Rod put up in our last 5 losses.

Keep worrying about my stats in posting Cheeky. And I'll take Rodney and you take Omar. We'll see who has a better chance!;)....hope you were watching because players like Omar, who you want in the lineup, are the reason we lost and blow!

Reaction Score
Dude. You live here. The thought that you don't have time is hilarious.

The fact you would take Omar over is Rodney is much more hilarious Cheekster but who would doubt you for discussing my number of posts rather than the facts.

Reaction Score
Keep worrying about my stats in posting Cheeky. And I'll take Rodney and you take Omar. We'll see who has a better chance!;)....hope you were watching because players like Omar, who you want in the lineup, are the reason we lost and blow!

Geez, if you ask me, your chance is at best no better than Cheeky's. Just ask KO about "The stashed-away Ferrari".

I would give Omar a pass, as he had a major surgery and at least proved his worth in freshman year.

Reaction Score
Geez, if you ask me, your chance is at best no better than Cheeky's. Just ask KO about "The stashed-away Ferrari".

I would give Omar a pass, as he had a major surgery and at least proved his worth in freshman year.

To each their own. But you can't go by Joe D's radio telecast you need to watch the game to have a fair opinion.

As an FYI he said he was in great shape and ready to go this year so let's stop with the excuses. Omar has performed at a level well below the stashed away ferrari.

Reaction Score
To each their own. But you can't go by Joe D's radio telecast you need to watch the game to have a fair opinion.

As an FYI he said he was in great shape and ready to go this year so let's stop with the excuses. Omar has performed at a level well below the stashed away ferrari.

And also well below the expectations of a #30-40 recruit. That's been an underdiscussed aspect of this roster's demise. He was supposed to be the next great guard/wing. When's the last time a guy ranked that highly turned into a complete zero for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom