It's now fair to wonder about coaching . . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's now fair to wonder about coaching . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah - this is a cop out. You constantly have banged the drum that the players suck.

Coaching is completely independent of players.

Great coaches are great coaches regardless of how good their players are.

Fact is, Ollie is not getting anywhere near the max out of this team, and that's the problem, regardless of talent.

I agree with most of what you've said regarding Ollie's coaching this year (I don't think it's been good), but I don't see how we can realistically wonder about the coaching acumen of a guy who just won a national championship until at least next season. If we're sitting on the bubble next year, then those conversations can be had...but this just seems really premature.

Reaction Score
If we're sitting on the bubble next year, then those conversations can be had...but this just seems really premature.
You're probably right.
I guess tonight seemed to me a point of inflection because there were so many obvious coaching errors made. Specifically, running a play that results in Purvis having the ball on the perimeter, double teamed, with time running out and a high likelihood of him being fouled on an night where he's shooting 50% from the line and 0% from the field.

I hope you're right. I hope next year the team is rolling and winning the games it should be winning.

Reaction Score
Without being a Debbie Downer, a lot has to break right for this team to be appreciably better next season. As good as Jalen Adams might be, he's replacing Boatright. So the other guys have to get a hell of a lot better.

Reaction Score
Yeah - this is a cop out. You constantly have banged the drum that the players suck.

Coaching is completely independent of players.

Great coaches are great coaches regardless of how good their players are.

Fact is, Ollie is not getting anywhere near the max out of this team, and that's the problem, regardless of talent.

I don't think Kevin Ollie had anything to do with UConn shooting 28%. Some nights the ball goes in and some nights it doesn't. That does not have a hell of a lot to do with coaching. The guy who sat on the bench coaching UConn to a national championship is the same guy sitting on the bench this year. I don't think he went from being a world beater to a poor coach in one year.

Reaction Score
People keep ripping ollie for playing guest. Terrence samuel sucks 3/4 of the time he's in. And he was extra sucky the one minute he was in tonight before guest played. Omar calhoun has completely vanished. Sam jr is In a walking boot.

Ollie plays purvis and people say wtf. He plays omar and people say wtf. He plays t Sam and people say wtf. He plays dan guess and everyone says wtf. Newsflash you need 5 guys on the court.

Moral of the story is we need better players. Ollie botched the end of the game. And our offense has been an abomination for large stretches of the season.

But a decision to play a walk on in the first half when all of his other guards (besides boat) have been equally horrible for large portions of the season is not the worst thing that has happened this year

Reaction Score
Without being a Debbie Downer, a lot has to break right for this team to be appreciably better next season. As good as Jalen Adams might be, he's replacing Boatright. So the other guys have to get a hell of a lot better.

Because of some limitations this required improvement may have a lower ceiling than we wish it to.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
does anyone think KO will get an NBA offer this year? I'm thinking pouting won't play well at the next level, but recently I've been more wrong about anything involving UConn hoops than I have been my entire life

I sit their watching the game, trying to be loud, but not really knowing what to think

I'm a beaten man, my dog is kicking me, RU fans a busting my chops and the Memphis Tigers are celebrating on my home court. I'm waiting for Paul Pasquolini to be rehired has the football team's motivation speaker, that should close the deal

Reaction Score

Brimah with a healthy offseason in the gym (basketball and weights) could make a significant leap. That's about it. He, Hamilton, and Adams will be the team, with occasional contributions from Purvis (offset by equal or greater levels of terribleness at other times).

Facey isn't going to amount to much, and it's hard to project improvement from any of the returning backcourt of Samuel, Cassell, Purvis, and Calhoun. Nolan is what he is. Lubin hasn't played enough to know, but that's probably an indication in itself.

This is about a 25-30-year low in terms of talent, and unfortunately Ollie hasn't shown himself (yet?) to be the recruiting guru we were hoping for and desperately need.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Phil Jackson, John Wooden and Adoph Rupp could not coach these guys to an ACC championship. You have a center that rebounds poorly.
A backup point who can not dribble, pass or shoot. A basket case at shooting guard. A 195lb freshman leads the team in rebounding.
You have two power forwards that if either hits a jumper or grabs a rebound, we think it is a gift from heaven..

Reaction Score
Ollie has had a couple of stinkers this season and the Dan Guest debacle is indefensible but if you have longterm concerns about Ollie's coaching ability you should get your head checked. He took Jay Wright, Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan and Calipari to the woodshed in the tournament last season and what he did with a team that was banned from the postseason the year before was almost just as heroic. There are a lot of reasons we are bad this year and Ollie's coaching ability is very far down the list.

Reaction Score
Disagree with OP #2 with Purvis. You have to realize that besides Boat, this is a young team. Who are you putting in for Purvis? Purvis needs this to grow as a player. He's fully capable when he matures and gains experience. The kid has the tools, he just needs some time and sesaoning. Patience.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Fan expectations going into this season were off the charts. UConn lost 5 key contributors, including a Wooden Award candidate, off a national title team and some were fitting them with another Final 4 ring. Those 5 players represented 75% of the teams rebounding and 65% of the scoring. It's so much easier though to blame coaching (as it was said before, same guy) than to adjust your own expectations. Nope. Can't do that.:rolleyes:

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
You know, the comparison is only one of the inconsistency, not the overall game.
I never thought I'd say this, but I'd swap JD, any year, for RP in a heartbeat. Jerome was frustrating, and he had plenty of 1 for 12 type games, but kid always was a lock down defender, and was good for 3 or 4 boards, 1 or 2 steals, and 2 or 3 assists a game, even if he wasn't hitting.
You put JD on this team and we have 5 more wins.
I think I like JD more right this second than I did since his freshman year, when I loved his game.

And Rome usually got the first down...

Reaction Score
This loss was not on Ollie. I have no problem putting in a senior walk on for a series when your team is down 12 and lifeless. Ollie had to do something to shake this team up and on senior night he elected to be a class guy. Nothing wrong with that and no, that didn't cost them the game. The problem tonight was execution and down the stretch, we were simply awful.

Reaction Score
To all the people that are putting this on coaching instead of execution, what do you suggest be done about it? And please be realistic...
Exactly, this team lacks some crucial things:

1. Leadership: Boatright is a great player, but he lacks the ability to be a true floor general. The whole team's selfish play last night was pitiful and Boat was the worst offender. Including the last shot where he tried to drive against a triple team and had Hamilton wide open on the wing

2. Basketball IQ: This team is Jeckel and Hyde. They look great, sharing the ball, inside/outside game against SMU and then revert back to street ball against Memphis. Not learning from their mistakes

3. Talent: Playing with some guys who quite frankly wouldn't crack the lineup on many DI squads.

4. Experience: Young, Young, Young

5. Luck: Sometime you make your own, sometime the ball doesn't bounce in your direction. Memphis, Yale, Texas games could have easily gone in a different direction. If they did, we would be having a different conversation now.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Exactly, this team lacks some crucial things:

1. Leadership: Boatright is a great player, but he lacks the ability to be a true floor general. The whole team's selfish play last night was pitiful and Boat was the worst offender. Including the last shot where he tried to drive against a triple team and had Hamilton wide open on the wing

2. Basketball IQ: This team is Jeckel and Hyde. They look great, sharing the ball, inside/outside game against SMU and then revert back to street ball against Memphis. Not learning from their mistakes

3. Talent: Playing with some guys who quite frankly wouldn't crack the lineup on many DI squads.

4. Experience: Young, Young, Young

5. Luck: Sometime you make your own, sometime the ball doesn't bounce in your direction. Memphis, Yale, Texas games could have easily gone in a different direction. If they did, we would be having a different conversation now.

Finally a sane minded post. The one place I disagree is that Boat is 100% the leader of this team..he just can't will his lesser teammates to victory the way Bazz or Kemba could.

Reaction Score
The problem wasn't coaching it was execution. Does anybody really think that KO would call for a play that would be a shot clock violation?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Cheeky, who would you put in for Purvis? For all his inconsistency,he's all we got. He just went 7 for 7 from the charity stripe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cheeky, who would you put in for Purvis? For all his inconsistency,he's all we got. He just went 7 for 7 from the charity stripe.
David - Problem is, he's wildly inconsistent. So if you build a team with Purvis as a starter, you're subjecting yourself to games where he's going to go 1 for 10 with 3TOs. As I said earlier in the season, it's difficult to win, long term, with streaky guys because on their off days your whole team gets out of sync.

That said, I go with the next best option and use Purvis off the bench. Bring him off at the 15 minute mark and give him 5 minutes to see if he's got it going. If so, get him some PT. If not, bench him.

With the team the way it is now, I'd have been starting Calhoun and given him a lot of PT to try to get him rolling.

Obviously, there aren't a lot of options at 2 right now. This is why next year is so worrisome. When it's crunch time and Jalen is not hitting and Purvis is having a 1 for 12 game, we're in deep crap.

This is why guys like Purvis are "giveth" and "taketh away" guys. When they have giveth games, you beat SMU in a thriller. When they have taketh away games, you lose to depleted Memphis. Hard to muster any kind of a sustained run.

Another problem with Purvis is the fact that, when he has a poor shooting night, he tends to not do anything else either. Last night, in 28 minutes, he had 3 points, 3 boards, 0 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 1 TO, and 2 fouls.

Calhoun, in 12 minutes, had 5 points, 2 boards, 0 assist, 1 steal, 1 block, 0 TO, and 0 fouls.

I think Ollie is going with Purvis hoping he'll turn it on and go into SMU mode at some point.

I'd rather go with Calhoun and know that I'm going to get a guy who is going to hit the glass, play hard, and be able to hit from the line, if needed.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
David - Problem is, he's wildly inconsistent. So if you build a team with Purvis as a starter, you're subjecting yourself to games where he's going to go 1 for 10 with 3TOs. As I said earlier in the season, it's difficult to win, long term, with streaky guys because on their off days your whole team gets out of sync.

That said, I go with the next best option and use Purvis off the bench. Bring him off at the 15 minute mark and give him 5 minutes to see if he's got it going. If so, get him some PT. If not, bench him.

With the team the way it is now, I'd have been starting Calhoun and given him a lot of PT to try to get him rolling.

Obviously, there aren't a lot of options at 2 right now. This is why next year is so worrisome. When it's crunch time and Jalen is not hitting and Purvis is having a 1 for 12 game, we're in deep crap.

This is why guys like Purvis are "giveth" and "taketh away" guys. When they have giveth games, you beat SMU in a thriller. When they have taketh away games, you lose to depleted Memphis. Hard to muster any kind of a sustained run.

Another problem with Purvis is the fact that, when he has a poor shooting night, he tends to not do anything else either. Last night, in 28 minutes, he had 3 points, 3 boards, 0 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 1 TO, and 2 fouls.

Calhoun, in 12 minutes, had 5 points, 2 boards, 0 assist, 1 steal, 1 block, 0 TO, and 0 fouls.

I think Ollie is going with Purvis hoping he'll turn it on and go into SMU mode at some point.

I'd rather go with Calhoun and know that I'm going to get a guy who is going to hit the glass, play hard, and be able to hit from the line, if needed.
Let me see if I understand you. You prefer starting someone who has played poorly for two years to start over someone who has played inconsistently for one year.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Don't disagree at all except I go with Purvis over Omar. But you are talking talent, not coaching.
AB, Boat & DHam have talent. Two of them are still learning
Purvis is the best of the rest. If you think TSam, Sam Jr., or Omar have more upside than Purviss, then we disagree.
Do we need more help at the 2? No doubt. Did Ollie think he had it covered between Purvis & the 3 others. I assume yes. And he was wrong (at least for 2015). Now JC recruited OC and KO recruit TS and SC JR.

So I think it is fair to lay that portion of guard recruiting at his feet. But he didn't forget how to coach or motivate in a year

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Memphis was in the bonus so you can wipe out that point there. I agree with the Dan Guest insertion and DHam spending too much time on the bench, but DHam didn't have the greatest of games. To me this whole season boils down to Purvis, he just has too many wild swings from game to game and sometimes within the game. If we could rely on him for a dependable 12pts game in and game out, which is what you would hope for from a 3rd year/former top 20 recruit, the wins and losses would look a whole lot different on the ledger. They don't need 28pts or even 20, hell all they needed was just a couple of baskets from him to pull this one out. In every loss besides the ones he was injured you can pretty much go to the boxscore and see him MIA on the offensive end. This team is just not deep enough or talented enough to not get any production out of someone with his talent.
This game and this season had a whole lot of bad by a whole lot of players to single out one player. Heck DHam was responsible directly for three end of the game daggers that, had they not happened, the entire season might have changed.

Outside of OC and PN the players had a bad game. Perhaps AB is questionable. Decent intimidation with his shot blocking but no offensive threat or rebounding threat so not one of his better games. Certainly was not a good game for Ryan.

I get that people are expecting more from Rodney. Last game demonstrated he has skills. Something is holding him back. IMO it's a confidence issue. But that probably holds true for OC and to a lesser extent DHam.

I would love to put TSam's or AB's moxie into Rodney. Or Rodney's skills into TSam.

Reaction Score
Let me see if I understand you. You prefer starting someone who has played poorly for two years to start over someone who has played inconsistently for one year.
The way I'd phrase it is this:

I'd start someone who shows consistent effort and potential . . .
over . . .
A guy who is extremely streaky and has entire games where he has little to no positive impact.

Yes.

Calhoun could potentially gain his confidence back and be a 10 ppg player. He's already showed that.
Purvis is going to be a streaky player who has virtually zero production games. He's already showed that.

I go with Calhoun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC