It's just so very sad | The Boneyard

It's just so very sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How do you even process what happened in Newtown?

Eighteen families put a little kid on a school bus this morning and will never see that child again. I imagine my daughter's third-grade classroom and can't imagine how the parents of those children will ever have a peaceful moment.

I've never been more discouraged about what we are and where we are. Twenty-seven people have been taken from their families two weeks before Christmas.

Now, we'll go through the usual charade of political types 'investigating' why some state agency didn't step in to protect us from this deranged soul, wondering how he was allowed to buy a gun, wondering why the school didn't do more....and then we'll move on and someone else will shoot their way through more families down the road.

It's enough - something has to change. I no longer care that a bunch of folks 250 years ago thought that they might have needed guns...I suspect they'd change their minds if they'd ever thought of what we'd start doing with those guns.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
At this very moment, it is a time for mourning and sorting out what happened.

After that this will, of course, turn into a debate about gun control/safety laws. The fact of the matter is this: It is nearly impossible to prevent something like this from happening if a person has enough will to carry through with it, regardless of what "weapon" or "method" is used.

It's a sad and unfortunate truth for our human race. It's unlikely we will ever see events like this go away.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
It's not just guns, it's the gun culture. Each time something like this happens, it increases the likelihood that it will encourage some other wacko do it. It's self-perpetuating.

But to just shrug your shoulders and say, "hey, he'd figure out how to get a gun even if it was illegal"? That argument makes no sense to me. We have to make it more difficult for these things to happen. Oklahoma Republicans passed a law banning Sharia law. There was a 0.0% chance of Sharia law being imposed in Oklahoma. This is an actual, real problem, and it's a problem that can be addressed at least in some small way by stricter gun control. I guarantee you that tougher gun laws would save multiple children's lives. There's just no question about it.

Just as a side note: I wholeheartedly agree.

Another side note: I don't own and never have owned a gun. I also don't see any reason to ever own a gun.

Reaction Score
At this very moment, it is a time for mourning and sorting out what happened.

After that this will, of course, turn into a debate about gun control/safety laws. The fact of the matter is this: It is nearly impossible to prevent something like this from happening if a person has enough will to carry through with it, regardless of what "weapon" or "method" is used.

It's a sad and unfortunate truth for our human race. It's unlikely we will ever see events like this go away.
I agree with the first part of your statement. It's just plain awful.

Will we turn to talk about it though? We didn't after Aurora. We didn't after any other major tragedy in this country.

If that person showed up with a handgun, this doesn't happen. If he showed up with a knife, it doesn't happen.

Could he have gotten a semi-automatic if it were illegal? Maybe. But let's at least talk about ways to prevent these tragedies again. And have those involve the types of guns people can have, and who we give them to.

Please?

Reaction Score
As a society we are screwed, we are all to blame. Every time we have a tragedy, we are told now is not the time or place to talk about serious issues. The only take away is that it's never the right time to talk about serious issues. I'm so sad and angry, I feel sorry for kids having to grow up nowadays.

Reaction Score
You know what's not going to save kids' lives? Not doing anything regarding our gun laws.

How about we try to do something?
I think we will, and it's long past due. But it's a disgrace something like this needed to happen for change to finally occur.

The most important thing right now is the families in Newtown. Can't even imagine what they're going through.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think we will, and it's long past due. But it's a disgrace something like this needed to happen for change to finally occur.

The most important thing right now is the families in Newtown. Can't even imagine what they're going through.

What percentage of people would oppose a ban on high-powered weapons? It seems like such a no-brainer. I don't really get it. I guess the NRA is in too many people's pockets? There's a way to honor the original intent of the Second Amendment without arming psychos with machine guns.

Reaction Score
WTF?? Is it the lack of sensitivity due to violence in movies, video games, etc.? Is it a lack of coping skills? Kids nowadays carry conversations through texting, IMing, facebook, etc.. Very impersonal and disconnected. Many kids are alone with their own thoughts.

Its a new day and a new world. Shootings in churches, malls, schools practically everywhere. Where is the remaining sanctuary in this country?

I hate to say it but this may be our future.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
American Loonies will become better bomb makers. Suicide Bombers with vests.

I find some solace knowing there's a court of last resort and hope that comforts the grieving.

Reaction Score
In China today, someone stabbed 22 kids with a knife inside a school and injured them badly.

I think the details are very important. I'm writing this as I'm shaking (parent of 2 elementary school girls). I agree with Fishy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with Tyk's thoughts. But...

We're very good at mourning and holding candlelight vigils. We're very good about pretending that we're going to 'get to the bottom of things'. But that's putting a Band-Aid on a shark bite - we're very bad actually doing something about it.

One guy tries to sneak a bomb on an airplane and now millions of us have to take our shoes off to get through the TSA. But this isn't the first time someone has shot their way through a classroom full of kids and still we do nothing but slap on our sad faces for a few days.

I'm a conservative person. I don't like the thought of the government intruding in certain areas of our lives and gun ownership was one of those areas.

But I'm a realist and I'm also someone who doesn't want get shot at the movies or the convenient store or anywhere else. And I don't want anyone else to get shot.

We can't keep guns away from the people who should not have them and the price that we pay as a result far outweighs whatever benefit that gun ownership might yield.

No more charades.

Reaction Score
Ban all guns. If it would stop these types of things I would be all for it. Unfortunately, I don't believe you can stop a deranged individual from doing something like this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
After an event like this, pretty much anything should be on the table for discussion as to how to make sure it can never happen again. I think people here aren't saying let's not have the debate. I think they are saying that let's not have the debate today. Today is a day for prayers, sympathy and mourning. In the very near future, when facts have been gathered, a debate will be appropriate and hopefully reasonable solutions can be reached that directly address the problem.

Reaction Score
After an event like this, pretty much anything should be on the table for discussion as to how to make sure it can never happen again. I think people here aren't saying let's not have the debate. I think they are saying that let's not have the debate today. Today is a day for prayers, sympathy and mourning. In the very near future, when facts have been gathered, a debate will be appropriate and hopefully reasonable solutions can be reached that directly address the problem.
I agree, largely.

Here's the thing. We've said this before. And then the debate never happens. Remember when we just had to wait a little while to start the debate after Aurora? That never happens.

We need to make it happen. We are the only first world country where this type of violent crime and mass shootings happens with any level of regularity. It's appalling, and we as a people are better than this.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with Tyk's thoughts. But...

We're very good at mourning and holding candlelight vigils. We're very good about pretending that we're going to 'get to the bottom of things'. But that's putting a Band-Aid on a shark bite - we're very bad actually doing something about it.

One guy tries to sneak a bomb on an airplane and now millions of us have to take our shoes off to get through the TSA. But this isn't the first time someone has shot their way through a classroom full of kids and still we do nothing but slap on our sad faces for a few days.

I'm a conservative person. I don't like the thought of the government intruding in certain areas of our lives and gun ownership was one of those areas.

But I'm a realist and I'm also someone who doesn't want get shot at the movies or the convenient store or anywhere else. And I don't want anyone else to get shot.

We can't keep guns away from the people who should not have them and the price that we pay as a result far outweighs whatever benefit that gun ownership might yield.

No more charades.

It's a false argument. Chicago bans handguns and is the murder capital of the country. The UK bans everything and has seen gun violence skyrocket ever since they did. Switzerland has almost no gun control and has almost no gun crime.

If you are really looking for honest answers, look at a society that changed with Roe v Wade in its casual indifference to killing. Look at the devaluation of the family unit. There are many societal ills at work here. The ability to own an inert mechanical tool is the least of them. Gun ownership hasn't changed, yet we didn't see this in the 50s or before. So what has changed?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Ban all guns. If it would stop these types of things I would be all for it. Unfortunately, I don't believe you can stop a deranged individual from doing something like this.

Nope, but you can make it harder. And when its harder maybe there is a discernible flag raised along the way. As long as it is as simple as running into store, swiping a credit card, and running out with an automatic weapon then we will not see the end of these events.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I am a resident of Newtown, the Sandy Hook area, less than a mile from the elementary school. I know, or should say knew, the principal who is one of the victims.

We ask for your prayers, please.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's a false argument. Chicago bans handguns and is the murder capital of the country. The UK bans everything and has seen gun violence skyrocket ever since they did. Switzerland has almost no gun control and has almost no gun crime.

If you are really looking for honest answers, look at a society that changed with Roe v Wade in its casual indifference to killing. Look at the devaluation of the family unit. There are many societal ills at work here. The ability to own an inert mechanical tool is the least of them. Gun ownership hasn't changed, yet we didn't see this in the 50s or before. So what has changed?

Wow. Just. Wow. Worst post ever. Congrats. You earned it.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Its the same as the war on drugs. Criminals will deal them. Besides I need to protect my pantry from the ACC raids.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree, largely.

Here's the thing. We've said this before. And then the debate never happens. Remember when we just had to wait a little while to start the debate after Aurora? That never happens.

We need to make it happen. We are the only first world country where this type of violent crime and mass shootings happens with any level of regularity. It's appalling, and we as a people are better than this.
Yeah I think that we are on the same page, somewhat. Here's the thing - until you have the facts, you can't have a meaningful discussion of the event. In the vacuum of information, everyone defaults to their preconceived notions so there is zero productivity in talking about it. The rapid and predictable devolution of this thread being exhibit 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom