"It's a Loss. It's not crushing us" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"It's a Loss. It's not crushing us"

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Strawmaster in every thread, Jim Calhoun isn't walking through that door.

As if there aren't any coaches in-between Calhoun and Kevin Ollie.

Oh yeah, there is one other coach according to Straw. King Rice.

People want the in-between to produce at a Calhoun level.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I don’t give a crap. My ability to call out BS is still second to none.

He openly says it’s acceptable to root for UConn to lose. If this board weren’t full of __________s, I wouldn’t be the only one saying that’s screwed up.

While I have you here...who did you want to win tonight’s game?

It is acceptable. Either way, any reasonable person can see that Ollie is bad for the program. We want him to leave. Winning a few games just slows that process. We're not going to win consistently, so why should we want to be mediocre? I don't want Ollie getting another year on the back of more excuses and a season where we're slightly above .500

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
It is acceptable.

"uconnphil" thinks rooting for UConn to lose is acceptable.

Take a lap, buddy.

As aggravating as this is, it's also vindication for every time I was told "you're making this up, none of us are rooting for UConn to lose!"

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
It is acceptable. Either way, any reasonable person can see that Ollie is bad for the program. We want him to leave. Winning a few games just slows that process. We're not going to win consistently, so why should we want to be mediocre? I don't want Ollie getting another year on the back of more excuses and a season where we're slightly above .500
And unlike the NBA or NFL, we won't even get a lottery pick at the end of this dumpster fire of a season.

Reaction Score

Take a lap, buddy.

As aggravating as this is, it's also vindication for every time I was told "you're making this up, none of us are rooting for UConn to lose!"
People rooting for or against us to win and lose has no effect on the program. You said this like three times on the board earlier today.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Take a lap, buddy.

When we realized how truly insane Diaco was--which I'd say reached its crecendo during the Temple game--did we want him to go out and beat a crappy Tulane and BC team and get 5 wins and another season to prove how much of a moron he was? Or was it better to get hammered in each game to accelerate the change and not sit through a 2017 season where we go 0-12 and lose another year? Sometimes losing right now is better for the long term prospects of a program.

Reaction Score
The "right" next coach (whoever that is) isn't coming to UConn next week.....it's a bad situation and I want to win games but I don't want KO running this program for another second.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
People rooting for or against us to win and lose has no effect on the program. You said this like three times on the board earlier today.

I know it has no effect. It's still garbage and deserving of public shame.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
When we realized how truly insane Diaco was--which I'd say reached its crecendo during the Temple game--did we want him to go out and beat a crappy Tulane and BC team and get 5 wins and another season to prove how much of a moron he was? Or was it better to get hammered in each game to accelerate the change and not sit through a 2017 season where we go 0-12 and lose another year? Sometimes losing right now is better for the long term prospects of a program.

I still rooted for UConn to win both games -- and as it turned out, Benedict's (lack of a) working relationship with Diaco was far more of a driver of that termination than on-field performance.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Says you

Count all of the Calhoun references in people's complaints about the current status of the team and get back to me.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I still rooted for UConn to win both games -- and as it turned out, Benedict's (lack of a) working relationship with Diaco was far more of a driver of that termination than on-field performance.

You could also argue that it was a different situation because the players were much more likable. It's much easier to root for guys like BS, Diggs, Foley than it is to root for a kid who gets in an accident racing a scooter on the eve of the season and a bunch of guys whose names you can't even keep straight because 1/2 the team transferred out. Call me crazy, but I want to root for a team that is actually likable and gives effort, not a team with the attitude of national champions and the production of the local YMCA team

Reaction Score
• Declining revenue: Check
• Declining fan support: Check
• Fire Coach Ollie: Check

Losing is part of the reason for declining revenue and fan support but not the only reason. Bad conference, scheduling and ticket pricing as discussed in previous threads. XL is a dump with a bunch of empty seats every game no matter who we play. Kentucky has Rupp Arena at close to 90% capacity at every game - including the cupcakes.

Let's not dump everything on KO here. His job is to coach - something that I admit hasn't been doing much of but let's be fair here.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I want to root for a team that is actually likable and gives effort, not a team with the attitude of national champions and the production of the local YMCA team

Isn't that all on their coach though?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Isn't that all on their coach though?

They're responsible for how they represent themselves on the floor, and their coach is responsible that they wear a UConn uniform. The team doesn't have the talent to be a legitimate tournament team for any head coach, but Ollie certainly doesn't help things and he created the talent issue we're seeing now by recruiting guys with either an extensive injury history or character concerns--that leads to players who never see the floor or who transfer out.

Reaction Score
I mean...at this point I'm on board with the 'it's time for a change' crew, but what exactly do you want him to say?
Well we can’t say there hasn’t been vast improvements either. Ball movement. Assists. Outside shooting. Turnovers. Coach activity. Game plan. It just seems every catches lightning in a bottle with us and that is the problem. We smother Etou and Henderson smokes us. We always seem to lock up a teams best guy only to have the third ringer kill us. We are not Golden State Warriors. Oh. We got our wish. Lots of of Whaley Williams and Diarra (leg looked gimpy at the end from the minutes I think). No Dave o!!!fatigue again killed us too. All the fire Ollie guys pretty much got everything they asked for even a more conservative suit. Oh well. I’m sure when he takes ecu to the elite eight in six years the boneyarders that helped pack up his home will have some good stories to tell. Oh lots of Carlton too. Pretty sure they practiced fouling twice within one minute at two separate times. But we got what we wanted.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
They're responsible for how they represent themselves on the floor, and their coach is responsible that they wear a UConn uniform. The team doesn't have the talent to be a legitimate tournament team for any head coach, but Ollie certainly doesn't help things and he created the talent issue we're seeing now by recruiting guys with either an extensive injury history or character concerns--that leads to players who never see the floor or who transfer out.

Nice nuance - others ITT could use it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He needs a lessen in public relations. You'd think after all his years in the NBA, he'd know how to respond to the media after losses. Clueless. This will be the weakness that costs him his job. Recruits can tell BS when they hear it too.
You think KO was the guy the reporters interviewed after a tough NBA loss? I’m not a fan of his coaching ( the team has at least shown some energy the last two games) but he hardly has NBA stage presence in his resume. He has to try and stay positive. No other choice.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
267x267_rich-kotite1.jpg

Reaction Score
You could also argue that it was a different situation because the players were much more likable. It's much easier to root for guys like BS, Diggs, Foley than it is to root for a kid who gets in an accident racing a scooter on the eve of the season and a bunch of guys whose names you can't even keep straight because 1/2 the team transferred out. Call me crazy, but I want to root for a team that is actually likable and gives effort, not a team with the attitude of national champions and the production of the local YMCA team

Something tells me that Phil the football fan is probably more likable than Phil the basketball fan and it actually has nothing to do with the players.

Reaction Score

That is disgraceful but at least you admit it. I wish others would have your stupidity to come out of the "rather lose" closet and you know who you are! LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom