Italy Game and Pictures (merged) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Italy Game and Pictures (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Love CD and am a BIG fan of her game, but if this is true, I don’t think we can count on her at all this season. This is terrible because we need her. I think Cadence will need to step up here in her place.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm thinking she's done playing until the season begins
I suspect that a lot of UConn fans have mixed emotions on the subject of Caroline’s return to active competition, whether it’s against Hungary tomorrow or during the regular season in November.

Reaction Score
Noticed all the little things she does well including rebounding and setting picks. Always seems to be in the right place. Great midrange game. Haven't seen her take many shots but everything within 15' has gone in. Certainly not awed by the opportunity.
I think Ashlyn could be the sleeper in the group. A lot of attention has been given to the other players in this class but when you watch Ashlyn play she has an extremely high basketball IQ and sees the progression of plays way before most players will. The biggest question really is can she defend someone that is taller than her and if she can do that she will have a great career at UCONN.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that they had a plan for Caroline on this trip to let her play until she took a bump and then pull her to see how she responded. If they're legit surprised that she's "having" to come out of these games, someone is flirting with liability issues.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that they had a plan for Caroline on this trip to let her play until she took a bump and then pull her to see how she responded. If they're legit surprised that she's "having" to come out of these games, someone is flirting with liability issues.
I thought she looked good in this game before the injury. She had some turnovers and missed all her 3s but they were all good looks. She made a couple nice passes, blocked a shot, and a made nifty move to the basket that just missed. Both games she moved well .

As others noted I thought Ines played well on both sides of the ball

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I thought she looked good in this game before the injury. She had some turnovers and missed all her 3s but they were all good looks. She made a couple nice passes, blocked a shot, and a made nifty move to the basket that just missed. Both games she moved well .

As others noted I thought Ines played well on both sides of the ball
When Caroline is good, she is very good. Having her for a full and healthy season is big.

Reaction Score
Which is weird because Nika was the second best three point shooter on the team last season behind Lou's blistering 44%. Nika shot 34.3%, Azzi 34.0%, and Caroline 33.8%, but only one of those players gets crapped on for not being a good enough outside shooter.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Nikas shooting record is magnified because she takes so fewer shots than anyone else. If she took 10 shots a game and made 4 most fans would be satisfied. Nika has shown that she can take a quick 3 pt shot, but if she is wide open, why not take her time. Aubrey takes her time as well. To balance everything, Nika just has to take more shots, as she actually did last year. I just hope that with both Azzi and Paige on the floor she doesn't revert to being a pass only guard as she will have increased opportunities to shoot, and if she does that it will be advantageous to our other shooters. It will be interesting to see how the three of them work together as the season goes on. I think the three of them plus Aaliyah will be dynamic regardless of who the fifth starter will be.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree with your overall assessment. But there are a few things to keep in mind. There are no practices on the trip, hence no opportunities by the coaching staff to clean up game to game execution. In addition, substitution is frequent and free flowing, further limiting execution.

Aside from basketball, the players are changing hotels every few days, doing a lot of extracurricular activities and basically showing up to play a game here and there. The games are decidedly ragged, and getting more so by the day. They remind me of Sunday afternoon pickup games in college, when everyone was a little hungover and staggered into the gym to play some ball with whoever showed up to play. Frankly, the game against Italy was the worst, and that’s saying a lot, considering that the Croatian and Slovenian games were hardly things of beauty.

Finally, and most importantly, everything will look and feel much, much better when Paige is back on the court. She will direct the orchestra like a maestro. Execution will improve. Shooting will improve. All will be well in Huskyland.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To balance everything, Nika just has to take more shots, as she actually did last year. I just hope that with both Azzi and Paige on the floor she doesn't revert to being a pass only guard
I don't think we need Nika to look for her shot all that much sense there will be better scores on the floor. We just need her to score opportunistically. If people are laying off for double Azzi or Paige, and she has to take it vantage of that. That is well within the skill set she's already shown.

Something to think about, Andre Jackson from the men's team last year isn't a particularly good scorer. His three point form is pretty ugly to look at. He is a major reason why we won a national championship last year. He used his great vision, basketball IQ, and lockdown defense to become a key player on the team. Sound familiar? Jackson was drafted 36th in the NBA draft and will be playing for the Milwaukee Bucks this year.

Nika doesn't have to be Paige or Azzi to be effective. I have no doubt she'll be critical to the teams success this year, regardless of her minutes and regardless of whether or not she starts.

Reaction Score
IMG_1726.jpeg

Reaction Score

It all go hand in hand. If there isn’t a 3 point threat, the defense clogs the lane. When all the injuries occurred, Lou was the only 3 point threat. Can’t attack the lane like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom