Italy Game and Pictures (merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Italy Game and Pictures (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought Stewie had a Maybach?
Well a Maybach is at least worth owning. Any FP that allows someone to buy a Maserati should be fired on the spot. They are hands down the worst resale vehicle made. You pay about $100k and your investment if 5 years is worth about $20k. Mayback will cost more but will be worth way more in that same amount of time.

Reaction Score
It's being reported by a UConn fan (Thanks Phil), who was at the game, that Caroline took a hit to the head, left the game and didn't return. She can't catch a break.
This is pretty unfortunate. Hope it wasn't too bad

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
They may not be intimidated but they can be exploited. Their offense won't be what gets them any meaningful PT. If they can't play defense to Auriemma's standard and can be targeted by a D1 offense, he just won't play them other than mop up time. These scrimmages are not going to help determine that because of the complete lack of competition. Arnold has the best opportunity of the three freshmen to get time because of her ability to provide on ball pressure and with the offensive flow she's able to generate with her quickness and floor vision.
BobbyJ, no argument with the contents of your narrative. However you must admit I did not mention the impossibility of them being exploited, only that they wouldn’t be intimidated.

I also didn’t mention anything about playing defense. We are in agreement on those points however. I understand Geno’s position on playing defense. If you can’t keep your mark in front of you, you don’t play. I’m impressed with their play so far and just wanted to give them some flowers.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
After 10 years of posting don't I deserve, at least, the benefit of the doubt ?
You thanked him here so I thought you were saying he posted it here

Reaction Score
After 10 years of posting don't I deserve, at least, the benefit of the doubt ?
sure, but I'll ask what someone else did. She got hit in the head AGAIN in the Italy game? Can you be more specific about Phil's post? She got hit in the head in the Croatia game early, left and didn't return. Seems odd that the same exact scenario would happen again in the Italy game.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm just getting to watching the Slovenia game. My thought -- how can you sit ANY of these kids? Not just the freshmen, every one of the players looks good. Shade was directing traffic when she wasn't even handling the ball. She GETS IT. Nika and KK were in the game at the same time, and they didn't get in each others' way.

Little things like that* make all the difference.

*There really aren't any little things in Geno's system.

Reaction Score
sure, but I'll ask what someone else did. She got hit in the head AGAIN in the Italy game? Can you be more specific about Phil's post? She got hit in the head in the Croatia game early, left and didn't return. Seems odd that the same exact scenario would happen again in the Italy game.
The description from the UConn fan, at the game in Italy, was that Caroline got hit in the head with an elbow, fell to her knees, was taken out of the game and did not return. It's not good news but that was the eyewitness description. I'm just relaying what this fan reported. He's been traveling to all the same venues as the team has and has attended each of the first 3 games. I know of no reason to doubt the accuracy of his portrayal of events.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The description from the UConn fan, at the game in Italy, was that Caroline got hit in the head with an elbow, fell to her knees, was taken out of the game and did not return. It's not good news but that was the eyewitness description. I'm just relaying what this fan reported. He's been traveling to all the same venues as the team has and has attended each of the first 3 games. I know of no reason to doubt the accuracy of his portrayal of events.
Watched the video this morning. On the play in question, Caroline blocks a shot and grabs the ball in the air. She is “sandwiched” by 2 Italian players, who both have their hands up, but manages to hit Nika with an outlet pass, who then leads the break at the other end of the court. A whistle stops play, and after the stoppage, Caroline is no longer on the court.

It’s difficult to see on the game film exactly how Caroline was hit. It certainly didn’t look flagrant and obviously, no foul was called. Basically, it appeared to be incidental contact.

I’ve lost count. This is now the 5th or 6th time that Caroline has had to leave the game after being struck in the head. Certainly, she is being evaluated by competent medical professionals who know far more than any of us. But you have to wonder, given the number of incidents that Caroline has dealt with over 2 seasons, if it isn’t time to give serious consideration to whether or not she should continue playing basketball. Whatever the decision, Caroline’s long term health has to be the primary consideration.

Reaction Score
Noticed all the little things she does well including rebounding and setting picks. Always seems to be in the right place. Great midrange game. Haven't seen her take many shots but everything within 15' has gone in. Certainly not awed by the opportunity.

Reaction Score
Misc. thoughts from watching games:
-While Ice doesn't seem like she is moving at 100% speed, every game she demonstrates high basketball IQ. Always in the right spot and is not trying to do too much. You get the sense that she could take over these games from the inside but is content to just work within the UConn offensive system.
-Due to her height advantage, these games would have been ideal for DeBerry to gain confidence and work on her inside skills. Missed opportunity.

Reaction Score
Watched the video this morning. On the play in question, Caroline blocks a shot and grabs the ball in the air. She is “sandwiched” by 2 Italian players, who both have their hands up, but manages to hit Nika with an outlet pass, who then leads the break at the other end of the court. A whistle stops play, and after the stoppage, Caroline is no longer on the court.

It’s difficult to see on the game film exactly how Caroline was hit. It certainly didn’t look flagrant and obviously, no foul was called. Basically, it appeared to be incidental contact.

I’ve lost count. This is now the 5th or 6th time that Caroline has had to leave the game after being struck in the head. Certainly, she is being evaluated by competent medical professionals who know far more than any of us. But you have to wonder, given the number of incidents that Caroline has dealt with over 2 seasons, if it isn’t time to give serious consideration to whether or not she should continue playing basketball. Whatever the decision, Caroline’s long term health has to be the primary consideration.
Can you post the link for the Italy game? It doesn't show on the UCONN+ site yet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Can you post the link for the Italy game? It doesn't show on the UCONN+ site yet.
Scroll all the way down to the last row of UCONN+. It’s the first game listed.

Reaction Score
Scroll all the way down to the last row of UCONN+. It’s the first game listed.
In the Basketball Foreign Tours section or way down to the bottom of the page? I'm somehow missing it.
Edit: Never mind, I found it.

Reaction Score

My assumption…. But her not returning is precautionary.

Are there anymore games?

Reaction Score

It's such a shame, she is one of my favorite players. I just can't understand why she alone seems so susceptible to head contact that takes her out of the games Don't other players get banged too? Maybe once you have a concussion you are forever weakened somehow and any future head contact is that much more consequential. I also can't understand why she isn't using some kind of head gear, especially if she gets so much head contact.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Oh, how the memory fails at times... I had to scan the box score to see who 'Nesh' might be.
Nesh??? I'm always wondering if BY posters invent these nicknames.

Reaction Score
The Italian Team had only six players. No wonder they only played three quarters in that heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom