Italian point guard visiting | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Italian point guard visiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its hard to decipher what a American ranking of a Euro player may be because play styles are so different. That being said, I think the European style of play is far more versatile and open to being developed and refined (i.e. Neils) and I think we will be pleasantly surprised if Moretti ends up here. Say what you will about the staff, but Moretti and Anderson would be a very nice bounce back from the MAL decommitment. Perhaps even putting us net equal for next year at least.
We'd be better off NEXT YEAR with maretti and anderson than with just makai. Now the yr aftet is when we'll miss MAL

pj

Reaction Score
Where was this formula developed?

No one knows where this kid would be ranked. Being evaluated as a draft prospect is different than being evaluated as a recruit. The more confident someone sounds, the more they are BS'ing.

Based on NBA draft picks. Roughly one-quarter are international, three-quarters from the US. Therefore, of the top 60 players in any given year, 15 are international and 45 US.

As for the difference in NBA vs college prospects, it's not as different as you might think, since high school recruit rankings try to match player attractiveness to college coaches, and college coaches want the future NBAers in order to build their record of "getting guys to the NBA."

If #15 international is equivalent to #45 US, then #25 international is going to be equivalent to #75 US.

PJ's ass

I have a very intelligent ass. You could learn from it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We'd be better off NEXT YEAR with maretti and anderson than with just makai. Now the yr aftet is when we'll miss MAL
Agreed. Should still be more than okay though if we can land Carey or Dortz. Backcourt would be junior Alterique (sophomore if he applies for medical redshirt, junior Vital, Moretti and top PG recruit. Very solid

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Agreed. Should still be more than okay though if we can land Carey or Dortz. Backcourt would be junior Alterique (sophomore if he applies for medical redshirt, junior Vital, Moretti and top PG recruit. Very solid

Agreed. This is a non-issue once we get a '18 PG to commit.

Reaction Score
Really glad to hear that we are in a good place, just strange we didn't hear anything about the visit. Not complaining though, would love to land the kid and props to the staff for finding him and securing the visit
I think after the Sid thing and debacle they probably have a gag order on this guy

Reaction Score
I hate to kill everyone's vibe, but he's not a top 100 player. Doesn't mean he's bad, but he's closer to Vital than MAL.

I agree, in terms of rankings of course. But he's a far different type of player than Vital and Ayala. I'd say his biggest weakness will be toughness/physicality/defense... that's what holds him back. His shot is really smooth and that's what we are in the market for, and I bet he'll bring an interesting basketball IQ into the mix.

Reaction Score
I agree, in terms of rankings of course. But he's a far different type of player than Vital and Ayala. I'd say his biggest weakness will be toughness/physicality/defense... that's what holds him back. His shot is really smooth and that's what we are in the market for, and I bet he'll bring an interesting basketball IQ into the mix.
Sheffer and Henefeld wasn't ranked in US either, this may be the same result, we are just watching a mixed tape, coches watch the whole game and can evaluate talent better than we can

Reaction Score
Italy v France - 21 Dec - FIBA.com

Italy vs. France under 18 tourney game from Dec. Ntilikina vs. Moretti.
Just watched this game and is the only time I've seen Moretti.
Pros- moves feet well on d. He guarded The future lottery pick quite a bit and gave away a lot of size. Did a decent job of staying in front of him despite the size difference and herky jerky moves of Ntil. Ntil. Is a match up nightmare, reminds me of Penny Hardaway. Plays very good help side d. Knows the splitting the lane concept.
Has a hitch and buries the ball in his his push hand but has a nice release on his shot. He really only took 3s going 5/9. Was good at getting Italy into its offense once he got the ball from the point. Tended to hang behind the 3 line. Missed a few chances to jump into gaps to get open. Was very concerned with getting back on D in the half court. Passes well in the half court- slight penetration and kicks to open man. When he did penetrate was outstanding at changing speeds to drive,draw the double team and use finesse to find the open man. He's a very clever passer. I wish he handled the ball more.

Cons- he's quick but hard to get a read on his althleticism. Never took it to the rack. Gave up the ball in transition a couple of times way to early. Played off the ball most of the game but defiantly was a better Qb then #4 who was the primary ball handler. Could add some weight- not a factor n the glass. Made a few turnovers on mental lapses.

I'm not a rankings guy at all so I won't make a call based on one game. I do know this kid can play. He has a mature feel for the game. Very calm on the court. He would be an asset to our program and by the end of the season would be a solid rotation player. He would be a unique player for us.

Reaction Score
_l6x2Mb99UCwwM3skD8gQQ.jpg

Damn, I thought all the Italian food jokes in this thread were off-base, but then the kid's team is literally wearing jerseys with the Barilla pasta logo on them.

Reaction Score
He visited UConn then went to Texas Tech? I thought we would be last on the visits.

Reaction Score
He came all the way from Italy to schedule four visits. It would have been stranger if he didn't go to all of them
That's not what I meant. I just would have thought we would be last based on location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom