It is official...McCall to Stanford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It is official...McCall to Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't think it's too bad in some situations. In Kiah's case, I got the feel that others around her were probably making it a bigger deal than she was. She was the best player to come out of her state in a long time, so the local media really hyped it up. They were excited for her because a big time prospect in their area is rare.
For many high schools it is a huge thing to have any athlete play a Division I sport. I may happen once a decade or even once a generation. So it is a celebration for the school and local community, as well.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
She actually had on a UConn shirt, on top of a UCLA shirt, on top of the Stanford shirt. I am sure it wasn't mean to be a diss, but it did get quite the reaction.
http://twitter.yfrog.com/5td60kscyylipwlvkeqblznlz

*Video is sideways
Not amused, but I guess par for the course for this 2013 class that seems to be full of drama. Glad we don't have to pay any more attention to it.

Reaction Score
Okay, so we lost this one. But that just means there is more room in the 2014 cupboard. I am not concerned. Usually, when we have a small class one year, we have a blockbuster the next. In Geno I trust. We will be fine.

Besides, today starts what could be a very special season. The 2012-2013 season starts TODAY! And I for one am more excited for the start of a season than I have been since Maya was a freshman. And with Geno's comments about the freshman being so overwhelmingly positive, I have a feeling this team has the potential to be scarily dominant over most opponents. I may only need my nitroglycerin for the Baylor game. ;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm very excited about seeing the freshmen today. I've seen each play with Team USA but this will be the first time I get to see the Geno-moulded versions. I suspect that they have all improved already.

D

dakotaboy

Very immature act. Her parents should have stepped in there.

Ehh, McCall will find out soon enough when she runs into the Husky Train. We have S Chong, that's good enough to keep us rolling. Kelly was a lone recruit when she came to Uconn, look how well she turned out :)

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Look, this is getting serious, folks. I'm really worried about these thin classes, and want us in the ACC ASAP. It's starting to feel shakey: After upcoming additions of Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, Swofford says, "I couldn't feel better about who we are."

Meanwhile let's enjoy THIS YEAR!

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Yes.
A low-level recruit (a la Jacquie Fernandes) is possible, but nothing more.
Unless I'm mistaken, we're starting this year with 11 players. We're losing 3 and adding 1. That means 9 players for next year. This year Geno tried to add a walk-on but couldn't. We have to get a couple more players just to guard against injuries.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Happy for McCall!

Not happy with another 1 player class :-/

Reaction Score
Well glad we got that out of the way.Phew I have a list of the top Jucos! Always a chance a decommit due to coaching change at the end of the season.

For 2014! Anyone know if Wilson was at our game last season in SC?

Well we will just have to settle for #1 Wilson 6'4" SC bookend for Stewie for 2 years,
#3 Turner 6'4" TX has visited us once plans on another visit if possible<per Dad> on Feb 18th;) #4 Caldwell 5'7" TX visited us, knows Turner since they were little kids Both know Mo
#8 Ekmark 6'0" AZ*********** commit,#9/15 Sierra Calhoun 6'1" NY yada yada yada

Is that a sick class????????????
Ira
The class is great but it sounds like you are counting your chickens before they are hatched!

Reaction Score
Happy for McCall!

Not happy with another 1 player class :-/
Who cares about McCall! To quote a saying "if you're not with us you're against us" and she is now the enemy especially since signing with Stanford. Only signing with ND could have made it worse. However, I to am concerned about a 1 recruit class and I wounder if some of it is do to negative publicity over the allegations against coach!!!!

Reaction Score
Who cares about McCall! To quote a saying "if you're not with us you're against us" and she is now the enemy especially since signing with Stanford. Only signing with ND could have made it worse. However, I to am concerned about a 1 recruit class and I wounder if some of it is do to negative publicity over the allegations against coach!!!!
I'd be more inclined to say it is due to split duties between his Olympics coaching responsibilities and recruiting. But this has happened before without any questionable allegations or Olympics coaching duties. We can't expect to get the top players every single year. Now, if we start losing out on the top players in 2014, considering the amount of PT that will be available that year, then I will worry.

Reaction Score
I'd be more inclined to say it is due to split duties between his Olympics coaching responsibilities and recruiting. But this has happened before without any questionable allegations or Olympics coaching duties. We can't expect to get the top players every single year. Now, if we start losing out on the top players in 2014, considering the amount of PT that will be available that year, then I will worry.
We have a recruiting problems as of late, in part because the U Tenn was our competitor in the past but now that it is Stanford, ND, Duke, Baylor it raises geographic issues that were not a problem in the past. The talent in Ca. goes to Stanford the player from the mid west ND Those from the southwest Baylor or A&M and those from the South Duke or other ACC schools.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
We have a recruiting problems as of late, in part because the U Tenn was our competitor in the past but now that it is Stanford, ND, Duke, Baylor it raises geographic issues that were not a problem in the past. The talent in Ca. goes to Stanford the player from the mid west ND Those from the southwest Baylor or A&M and those from the South Duke or other ACC schools.

Tune in today to see 3 of our freshmen play...Texas, Illinois, NY State.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What? Our 2011 class included a kid from Georgia, a kid from Iowa, and a kid from California. Our 2012 class included a kid from New York, a kid from Texas, and kid from Illinois.

Reaction Score

We have the best recruiting class of 2012 and possibly in UConn history and we have recruiting problems? Let's focus on the great season we're about to start and worry about who joins the absolute studs we have on the roster later.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Geno is going to do what he always has, which is lock down the northeast, especially New York and Philly, and then get the best players he can from anywhere else. This is a disappointing recruiting cycle, but one that comes after three strong ones in a row. It is not the first time Uconn has had a poor recruiting cycle. It won't be the last time.

The best case scenario now is that we have a very deep and robust 2014 class now that there is some distance between the ridiculous 2012 class and recruits. Courtney Ekmark (from AZ mind you, and she would certainly have been admitted to Stanford) is a great start. I would love to see Sierra Calhoun join her brother in Storrs, and then there are a number of potential game changing recruits Geno and CD are pursuing aggressively.

If Chong is able to contribute meaningfully and the 2014 class is good, Uconn will be ok. There's just more risk than there would be with a larger 2013 class.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Missed that in my initial reading and by the time I caught it it had been etched in stone.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Most of the top California talent leaves the state as opposed to playing for Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC. Duke typically doesnt get many players from the South. This season we have 2 from Virginia, 1 from Florida, 1 from Texas (if you include Texas as the south), and a walk-on from NC. We add one from KY and one from SC next season.

UCONN hasnt had any recruiting problems as of late.. and they wont in the immediate future either. At least thats my opinion.

Reaction Score
Most of the top California talent leaves the state as opposed to playing for Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC. Duke typically doesnt get many players from the South. This season we have 2 from Virginia, 1 from Florida, 1 from Texas (if you include Texas as the south), and a walk-on from NC. We add one from KY and one from SC next season.

UCONN hasnt had any recruiting problems as of late.. and they wont in the immediate future either. At least thats my opinion.

Well except for Wiggins, Appel, Pohlen, B. Smith and Paye to name a few. Stanford, like all top programs recruit nationally and has larger draw due to reputation of the school. Partial list includes: Azzi (TN), Starbird (and many others from WA), Sisters O (TX), Powell (AZ), Wideman (NY), Whiting (DE), King (MN), Suminski (NJ), and Folkl (MO). There have been very few players who turned down Stanford after being accepted. Most notably, Lobo and Bird, who both wanted to stay closer to home.

Reaction Score
Well except for Wiggins, Appel, Pohlen, B. Smith and Paye to name a few. Stanford, like all top programs recruit nationally and has larger draw due to reputation of the school. Partial list includes: Azzi (TN), Starbird (and many others from WA), Sisters O (TX), Powell (AZ), Wideman (NY), Whiting (DE), King (MN), Suminski (NJ), and Folkl (MO). There have been very few players who turned down Stanford after being accepted. Most notably, Lobo and Bird, who both wanted to stay closer to home.

Jamila Wideman was from Amherst, MA!
Her high school team (Amherst Regional), which stunned everyone by destroying one of the Eastern Mass powers in the state final, was the subject of the book "In these girls, hope is a muscle."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom