It is official...McCall to Stanford | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It is official...McCall to Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And actually win a national championship.

OUCH KILL SHOT!!!
to be fair, tho, Stanford has 2 NC's and has been a final 4 fixture the past 5 years. Having said that, I totally agree that if you REALLY want a NC, UCONN is a much better choice. Let's be honest - Stanford has some nice kids they've recruited, but aside from 2013, they've not recruited a class that is better than any competing class from UCONN.

I get they got Ogwumike (and Kokenis and James) in 2010, but I'd argue that Hartley and Dolson are at least equal to that. And on top of it, UCONN's sextet of KML, Banks, Stokes, followed by Tuck, Jefferson and Stewart blows Stanford's classes out of the water...

Depending on how Stanford recruits, it's highly unlikely they will be defeating UCONN for a NC at the earliest until McCall would be a senior. and even then it depends on how well Stanford recruits in 2014 and 2015...

Having said all that, if it were my daughter, I'd be hoping she chose Stanford too...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

OUCH KILL SHOT!!!

I would laugh, but since Stanford has 2 more national championships than Duke... well... I'll just take a seat

sit down.gif

Reaction Score
to be fair, tho, Stanford has 2 NC's and has been a final 4 fixture the past 5 years. Having said that, I totally agree that if you REALLY want a NC, UCONN is a much better choice. Let's be honest - Stanford has some nice kids they've recruited, but aside from 2013, they've not recruited a class that is better than any competing class from UCONN.

I get they got Ogwumike (and Kokenis and James) in 2010, but I'd argue that Hartley and Dolson are at least equal to that. And on top of it, UCONN's sextet of KML, Banks, Stokes, followed by Tuck, Jefferson and Stewart blows Stanford's classes out of the water...

Depending on how Stanford recruits, it's highly unlikely they will be defeating UCONN for a NC at the earliest until McCall would be a senior. and even then it depends on how well Stanford recruits in 2014 and 2015...

Having said all that, if it were my daughter, I'd be hoping she chose Stanford too...

It's just a tad more difficult to recruit and get kids into Stanford than UConn, just a tad.

Reaction Score
Jamila Wideman was from Amherst, MA!
Her high school team (Amherst Regional), which stunned everyone by destroying one of the Eastern Mass powers in the state final, was the subject of the book "In these girls, hope is a muscle."

My bad, I knew that. She works in NY now. I read the book, which was great. A few others from NY were Ros Gold Onwude, Mel Murphy and Bethany Donaphin.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's just a tad more difficult to recruit and get kids into Stanford than UConn, just a tad.
Don't get me wrong - I totally agree, and as I said, if it were my kid I'd lean towards wanting her to go to Stanford. No disrespect meant - I was just trying to point out the chances of winning a NC at UCONN are higher for the next 4 years than the chances of winning one at Stanford... So clearly, as much as McCall may want to compete for a NC and get to final 4's, winning a NC wasn't the "be all" for her...

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong - I totally agree, and as I said, if it were my kid I'd lean towards wanting her to go to Stanford. No disrespect meant - I was just trying to point out the chances of winning a NC at UCONN are higher for the next 4 years than the chances of winning one at Stanford... So clearly, as much as McCall may want to compete for a NC and get to final 4's, winning a NC wasn't the "be all" for her...

That's not disrespectful? You don't think she and her family believe she can win a NC at Stanford, especially given we've been to 5 straight F4's?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

OUCH KILL SHOT!!!
Yes, McCall will just have to get used to going four years as an also ran. :D

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's not disrespectful? You don't think she and her family believe she can win a NC at Stanford, especially given we've been to 5 straight F4's?
They believe she can but they would be wrong. :p Ever they bride's maid.

Reaction Score

Stanford is a nice place to play if you want a good chance to finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th but you just don't win National Titles in Women's BB at Stanford. With all of your talent over the years, you have how many titles? Thats what I thought.

Don;t come here on your high horse about your Stanford education. Yes, its good but UCONN is no slouch and is a top flight public institution.

McCall could have gotten EVERYTHING she could want at UCONN (top quality education and top quality national title hoops). UCONN was a completely viable choice but she chose not to make it. Her loss.

Also, if she is pulling this shirt changing business, tghen perhaps we are better off with her. That is completely tasteless. Not something a UCONN player does and not how our players act.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
and more Final Fours.

Its alot easier to build up gaudy records and #1 seeds when you play in a weak conference and play maybe 2-3 max tough out of conference teams a year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They believe she can but they would be wrong. :p Ever they bride's maid.
It may sound harsh, but I agree that McCall is unlikely to win a national championship at Stanford. I can see 30-win seasons, PAC-12 titles, and some Final Fours, but not any NCAA rings.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not disrespectful at all. do you REALLY believe that Stanford has recruited even close to what UCONN has in 2011 and 2012? Stanford won't stand a chance against UCONN until Erika's senior year since all UCONN will have as seniors are Chong.

In fact, if Stanford keeps the loss against UCONN to under 20 this year, that will be a major accomplishment. I don't think they can do it.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
There's a reason we play the games. Strange things can happen.

Injuries, off nights, other crazy events.

Nor is a NC (which no one can guarantee) the sole piece of a college experience.

Exactly. Great post.

Reaction Score
Not true. Sue Bird
I'm missing something! Sue Bird was out of New York but "maybe" she originally came out of California????? If not, then I have no clue on her being spoken of with regard to always losing California girls when Stanford was in the last 2 or 3.

Reaction Score
And you for
What? Our 2011 class included a kid from Georgia, a kid from Iowa, and a kid from California. Our 2012 class included a kid from New York, a kid from Texas, and kid from Illinois.
got to mention they are all GONE !!!!!!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm missing something! Sue Bird was out of New York but "maybe" she originally came out of California????? If not, then I have no clue on her being spoken of with regard to always losing California girls when Stanford was in the last 2 or 3.
As I posted earlier I missed the Cali qualifier but didn't catch it until the stone etching at 30 minutes and so it could not be deleted or edited in any manner.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Good One Triad... just like they beat Duke in the final four!!! C'mon give us westies a break, I actually think Stanford gets talent but I may be in minority but I think its Tara that cannot coach them to final win especially against the likes of Geno, game time adjustments win game, they sure know how to scout and their attempt against Baylor showed that but when the kid with the lowest FG % starts finally hitting those wide open shots, you have to make adjustments and your PG needs to know to push the ball when you're losing. And then there was A&M!

I will add however we haven't proven anything yet either and Coop seems like a bust.

Reaction Score
Its alot easier to build up gaudy records and #1 seeds when you play in a weak conference and play maybe 2-3 max tough out of conference teams a year.

and beat Duke along the way last year.

Reaction Score
Good One Triad... just like they beat Duke in the final four!!! C'mon give us westies a break, I actually think Stanford gets talent but I may be in minority but I think its Tara that cannot coach them to final win especially against the likes of Geno, game time adjustments win game, they sure know how to scout and their attempt against Baylor showed that but when the kid with the lowest FG % starts finally hitting those wide open shots, you have to make adjustments and your PG needs to know to push the ball when you're losing. And then there was A&M!

I will add however we haven't proven anything yet either and Coop seems like a bust.

Geno should have pressed Stanford in Tampa F4 and y'all left Wiggins open for consecutive threes. Game over.

Reaction Score
Stanford is a nice place to play if you want a good chance to finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th but you just don't win National Titles in Women's BB at Stanford. With all of your talent over the years, you have how many titles? Thats what I thought.

Don;t come here on your high horse about your Stanford education. Yes, its good but UCONN is no slouch and is a top flight public institution.

McCall could have gotten EVERYTHING she could want at UCONN (top quality education and top quality national title hoops). UCONN was a completely viable choice but she chose not to make it. Her loss.

Also, if she is pulling this shirt changing business, tghen perhaps we are better off with her. That is completely tasteless. Not something a UCONN player does and not how our players act.

dood, you must be new here. :) I've been posting here a long time and usually have great conservatives with my bball buddies. The fact remains that the pool of talent is smaller for Stanford given their admissions policies, application process and number of student athletes can actively recruit. I did not attend Stanford. I have worked at their Medical Center in clinical research and have been a fan and fast break club member for 25 years, which includes listening to the staff talk about the recruiting process. I seriously doubt she thinks getting into Stanford and playing for Tara is a loss. Good luck this season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno should have pressed Stanford in Tampa F4 and y'all left Wiggins open for consecutive threes. Game over.
Wallman is one of yours, card. He is a westie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom