It has to be time right?? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

It has to be time right??

Reaction Score
Be done. You’ve changed the original argument and are now crying foul and falsehoods. The original claim was that Kevin Ollie getting fired before the end of the year or even fired at all, would turn otherwise interested coaches off to taking the UConn job. You used his position as an alum and a Championship coach as evidence that his dismissal would reek of unfairness and no job security to all future coaching candidates. You clearly don’t understand the business Ollie is in.
Thank you for recapping my arguments for me, I'm well aware of what I wrote. I can even scroll up and read them.

I said it's not inconceivable that a coach with options might think twice. I said it's plausible that this job wouldn't be a top candidate's first choice. I said there are some quality guys that may opt for more job security. I also said there will still be coaches who are up to the challenge.

"You used his position as an alum and a Championship coach as evidence that his dismissal would reek of unfairness and no job security to all future coaching candidates."

Look who's crying foul and falsehoods and changing arguments.

OK now I'm done.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Who cares if its a bit longer? I would gladly trade the current mess for 3 years of rebuilding and some hope to actually become relevant again.

I don’t disagree, but man will attendance climb into an even deeper hole if it takes that long.

Reaction Score
Thank you for recapping my arguments for me, I'm well aware of what I wrote. I can even scroll up and read them.

I said it's not inconceivable that a coach with options might think twice. I said it's plausible that this job wouldn't be a top candidate's first choice. I said there are some quality guys that may opt for more job security. I also said there will still be coaches who are up to the challenge.

"You used his position as an alum and a Championship coach as evidence that his dismissal would reek of unfairness and no job security to all future coaching candidates."

Look who's crying foul and falsehoods and changing arguments.

OK now I'm done.
Then you should use said, scroll and read what you wrote. “You think it's inconceivable that a coach of the caliber you would want (i.e. has options) might think twice about a job where the last guy was an alum, won a national championship 4 years ago, made it to the second round 2 years ago and they kick him to the curb mid-season?” This was your quote, right?

If you’re hung up on “all future coaching candidates,” then I’ll cop to a degree of overstatement. But this was the argument you made. Btw, yes, I do think it’s inconceivable. And i think you haven’t a clue as to how coaches evaluate jobs. For what’s it worth, pretty much all jobs that become “open” are the result of a firing and poor performance. The UConn opening, should it happen, will be no different in that respect.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
One year LOL..... Who you thinking we are going to get?

Honestly you really think this mess will be cleaned up in 1 year? I pray you are right.

The way MCBB is these days, it's not a huge deal to turn a program around in a couple years. There isn't the same top end experienced talent as there was in the past. So much turnover in rosters = opportunity.

Reaction Score
I like Kevin. He's always portrayed himself as a likable guy. However I think the time has come. Let him finish out the season and come up with a deal behind closed doors, and play it off as a resignation. I don't think he deserves the embarrassment of being publicly kicked to the curb, but his time is definitely up.

Reaction Score
Who cares if its a bit longer? I would gladly trade the current mess for 3 years of rebuilding and some hope to actually become relevant again.
BINGO! There would be one terrible year. Yes, probably even worse than this year. Then we could start taking steps forward. I think a good coach, with a full year to recruit, could get us back to at least NIT level the second year, third at most. We might be looking at the NIT for a couple years but, with the right coach, we could be truly relevant again in 4-5 years with a steady rise over that time period. And to those that think we can't attract a good coach, we attracted Calhoun in 1985. We were a bottom feeder back then. Awful. We had worse than awful facilities and the school wasn't nearly as highly regarded, academically, as it is now. Yes, we may be under an investigation but that is WAY outweighed by the positives. These coaches, even the younger ones, saw what Calhoun did here and there is no reason to think it couldn't be done again. If any of these guys thinks they are HOF material, this is a good place for them to prove it.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree, but man will attendance climb into an even deeper hole if it takes that long.
I'm not so sure. If the coach is likeable and the team is improving, people will come back to support them.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure. If the coach is likeable and the team is improving, people will come back to support them.
That’s my take as well. A lot of it has to do with which direction things are trending, and if “Coach ____” appears to have a vision and players are buying in to the system, the energy around the program can change rapidly.

Reaction Score
Well 2 years out of the tournament 4 from a NC. And the crowd wants KO’s head. How do you think new coach is going to get 3 years before looking for blood ??

It's not just 2 years out of the tournament, it's 3 years out of 4, loads of blowout losses, losses to teams like Northeastern, Wagner, ECU, lack of player development and retention, etc. I don't think anyone ever dreamed it would get this bad after the wonderful run in 2014.

I think the fanbase would welcome a new coach who provides hope and realize that he is starting from a low point. I would say as long as there are good signs, he would get ample time to restore the program to relevancy.

Reaction Score
I know this is like Russian Collusion - once it said a million times the casual fan believes and repeats it. It takes on a mythology of its own without evidence because so many just don’t like him and want him to get fired.

Ollie actually said the vibes were bad but it was his job to create good vibes.
I didn’t recognize the post game quotes in either of your recaps. I didn’t hear him say vibes were bad, but he also seemed to limit the vibe comment to the specific NCAA inquiry and not the program at large.

Reaction Score
Well 2 years out of the tournament 4 from a NC. And the crowd wants KO’s head. How do you think new coach is going to get 3 years before looking for blood ??
It's the trend line that's the problem. Reverse the timeline with the same records and it'd be a completely different narrative

Reaction Score
And i think you haven’t a clue as to how coaches evaluate jobs.

You're right, I haven't a clue as to how coaches evaluate jobs. Here I was the whole time thinking they did like every other rational human being on the planet; by weighing risks and rewards. How totally irrational and insane of me. Forget everything I said. Case closed, you win.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Improvement aside, rebuilding implies growing pains, raw players, and more disappointing results in games the old UConn would have handily won. The past four years have been hell on the fanbase to the point where (as RJScootin’s thread illustrates), the diehards are now casual fans, and the casual fans don’t even know the program exists anymore. It doesn’t help that the latter group only came around to support the team at the peak of the JC years, and can’t be arsed to support a team that isn’t one of the top five programs in the sport.

I do agree that the particulars of the coach and how much improvement there is can increase fan support, but it’d only be with the subsection of diehards/BY posters getting back on the wagon and following the team in-depth again. How much does that move the needle in the macro sense? I really can’t say.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom