It has to be time right?? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

It has to be time right??

Reaction Score
You think it's inconceivable that a coach of the caliber you would want (i.e. has options) might think twice about a job where the last guy was an alum, won a national championship 4 years ago, made it to the second round 2 years ago and they kick him to the curb mid-season? People have different risk tolerances and value job security differently than you might. Come to think of it you might be right about a mid-season or post-season firing being no different, it might be really hard to find a worthy candidate who wants this cutthroat job in either scenario.
You’re now arguing that firing Kevin Ollie after this season is evidence of some sort of mistreatment or unrealistic expectations in major college athletics? At 3 million per year? I’m good. I prefer to engage with the somewhat rational and sane portion of the Yard. Have a nice time in your universe.

Reaction Score
He will have missed the tournament 3 out of the last 4 years -- if Hurley wants to go to a place where he can "compete for 4 & 5 star recruits and make it to Final 4s" I don't think he's worried about getting blown out by 20+ points 6 times in a season for the first time in program history or having 3 starters transfer and a top recruit decommit.

Good post. No idea why so many are scared of change. Without it, we have what we have and that's pretty gloomy.

Reaction Score
You think it's inconceivable that a coach of the caliber you would want (i.e. has options) might think twice about a job where the last guy was an alum, won a national championship 4 years ago, made it to the second round 2 years ago and they kick him to the curb mid-season? People have different risk tolerances and value job security differently than you might. Come to think of it you might be right about a mid-season or post-season firing being no different, it might be really hard to find a worthy candidate who wants this cutthroat job in either scenario.

You make it sound like making it to the second round once is some sort of accomplishment. That means they have won one tourney game in 4 seasons assuming this season doesn't miraculously turn around. Be honest, that just doesn't cut it.

Reaction Score
You’re now arguing that firing Kevin Ollie after this season is evidence of some sort of mistreatment or unrealistic expectations in major college athletics? At 3 million per year? I’m good. I prefer to engage with the somewhat rational and sane portion of the Yard. Have a nice time in your universe.
Has a coach ever been fired 4 years out from a championship in history? And I'm sure you'll ask has any championship winning coach ever had a losing record and/or been blown out as many times as this team has this year within four years of a championship. Probably not. But at this point the chances of immediate success for a new coach are astronimcally slim. I think it's very plausible that this job would not be a top candidate's first choice seeing how quickly the fanbase and administration turned on Ollie despite winning a ship. But then again I'm totally irrational and insane so what do I know?

Reaction Score
He will have missed the tournament 3 out of the last 4 years -- if Hurley wants to go to a place where he can "compete for 4 & 5 star recruits and make it to Final 4s" I don't think he's worried about getting blown out by 20+ points 6 times in a season for the first time in program history or having 3 starters transfer and a top recruit decommit.
Danny Hurley has been to the NCAA tournament one time in his entire career. If he's not considering the fact that he might miss the tournament his first few hypotheical years at UCONN well then he sure as hell ought to be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it's very plausible that this job would not be a top candidate's first choice seeing how quickly the fanbase and administration turned on Ollie despite winning a ship. But then again I'm totally irrational and insane so what do I know?

Although not a "ship" I am pretty sure Indiana fans turned on Davis pretty darn quickly after he made the championship game vs Maryland in 2002. Also, I think within 1 to 2 years of his 27-6 sweet 16 season, UNC fans turned on MD pretty rapidly. Granted those are cases of bluebloods, but I would think that, if not a blueblood, Uconn is at least in the next tier. And, having said that, certain expectations come with certain jobs where winning has been part of a teams history for at least two decades. This is not Rutgers or BC where we will be jumping for joy just getting into the 2nd round in March.

Reaction Score
Lets see what schools have vacancies at the end of the year. MSU is one obvious one right now.

Izzo isn't going anywhere. The backlash to the backlash has already begun.

So you're just assuming that a school with a larger budget, better facilities, greater resources, and more potential than UConn and a vacancy will emerge, but also not a blue blood who are too strong and Hurley won't be qualified for, and he will have a desire to go there over UConn. And you're presenting this as a certainty, not a chance.

Got it.

Reaction Score
Has a coach ever been fired 4 years out from a championship in history? And I'm sure you'll ask has any championship winning coach ever had a losing record and/or been blown out as many times as this team has this year within four years of a championship. Probably not. But at this point the chances of immediate success for a new coach are astronimcally slim. I think it's very plausible that this job would not be a top candidate's first choice seeing how quickly the fanbase and administration turned on Ollie despite winning a ship. But then again I'm totally irrational and insane so what do I know?

Gene Chizik was, different sport but he had the same high expectations.

Reaction Score
Izzo isn't going anywhere. The backlash to the backlash has already begun.

So you're just assuming that a school with a larger budget, better facilities, greater resources, and more potential than UConn and a vacancy will emerge, but also not a blue blood who are too strong and Hurley won't be qualified for, and he will have a desire to go there over UConn. And you're presenting this as a certainty, not a chance.

Got it.

No....I am saying our program is way more of a dumpster fire than MSU that will be plug and play for Hurley. Team wise thats a 10x easier situation to step into.

He would have to raise us from the ashes and meet the extremely high expectations that many would expect from him or anyone taking the job. And he is no dummy. He knows in 2 years many be calling for his head..

Reaction Score
No....I am saying our program is way more of a dumpster fire than MSU that will be plug and play for Hurley. Team wise thats a 10x easier situation to step into.

He would have to raise us from the ashes and meet the extremely high expectations that many would expect from him or anyone taking the job. And he is no dummy. He knows in 2 years many be calling for his head..

Well their President, Athletic Director, at least one Board member all resigned and their two high profile coaches might do the same. Other than that things are great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Has a coach ever been fired 4 years out from a championship in history?
Well, if we view firing and forced resignations as similar, you get Gene Chizik, Rick Pitino, Jim Harrick, Frank McGuire, Jerry Tarkanian. Gene Stallings and Barry Switzer left in a cloud of smoke and innuendo. Others went as well, though a bit outside your 4-year window (Coker was year 5), most famously Woody Hayes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There already is a gofundme....

The ncaa really has it out for uconn Imo.

The NCAA does seem to have it in for UConn and Calhoun thumbing his nose at them after the Miles issue is probably the reason.

Reaction Score
Well, if we view firing and forced resignations as similar, you get Gene Chizik, Rick Pitino, Jim Harrick, Frank McGuire, Jerry Tarkanian. Gene Stallings and Barry Switzer left in a cloud of smoke and innuendo. Other legends went as well, though a bit outside your 4-year window (Coker was year 5), most famously Woody Hayes.
Harrick and Slick Rick.
I meant for on-court performance issues (and was talking hoops). But then again, there is unfortunately an investigation ongoing...

Reaction Score
Well their President, Athletic Director, at least one Board member all resigned and their two high profile coaches might do the same. Other than that things are great.

What does that have to do with walking into a locker room full of 4-5 star tallent vs. what scraps are left in Storrs after this disaster.

Sound like MSU might be the more appealing destination than UCONN with a higher chance of success.

Obviously you disagree.

Reaction Score
You make it sound like making it to the second round once is some sort of accomplishment. That means they have won one tourney game in 4 seasons assuming this season doesn't miraculously turn around. Be honest, that just doesn't cut it.
I agree that this four season stretch doesn't cut it. My whole point was I believe it's going to be really hard for somebody else to come in and do a whole lot better right away. With an obvious short leash coupled with an uphill battle (potential defections, conference, ncaa cloud hanging over the program) there are some quality guys that may opt for more job security than this is one is going to provide. I realize there will still be coaches that are up to taking on the challenge but to say some may think twice is irrational and insane??

I think KO would win more games than anyone else they can bring in for at least the next 2-3 seasons if he could keep the team together this spring and the NCAA investigation doesn't result in any major penalties. I think the young core of the team could turn out to be really good, I'd like to see us keep them together and KO probably offers the best chance to do that.

While it's fair to question if KO can even coach a team up again, it's equally fair to believe he can. Injuries have played significant roles the past two seasons and that championship wasn't pure luck, he's got it in him somewhere. I'd like to see him get one more chance with his back against the wall to show he can turn it around. If you don't that's fine too.

Reaction Score
We have 3 talented core players. jalen, larrier and Gilbert. we lost 1 of them for the season and 1 more is out for a few games, so this is the excuse why we are terrible and getting blown out regularly?

Reaction Score
We have 3 talented core players. jalen, larrier and Gilbert. we lost 1 of them for the season and 1 more is out for a few games, so this is the excuse why we are terrible and getting blown out regularly?
You are arguing with an irrational person that loves Ollie. He brings up last year. Well, last year we had WAY more talent than the rest of the AAC AFTER the injuries and we had plenty of experience. People used injuries as an excuse and even I somewhat bought it at the time. And then I looked back and saw what we were actually putting on the floor and realized it was BS. We actually had quite a bit of talent left and several of them were seniors, including a former McD AA. Looking back on it, there is no reasonable excuse for what happened last year. And then you had a bunch of talented kids run away from Ollie after the season. I have seen nothing this year that tells me the results would have been any different, even if Gilbert had not been injured. Sure, we are now legit lacking talent and experience but one can account for that when analyzing the team. Even given that, we are really seeing more of the same. I don't know how much of what happened in 2014 was due to Ollie or how much of that he lost along the way but I have seen enough to know that a change is needed and we can't keep whistling past the graveyard, waiting for him to find it, or we will get buried ourselves. Maybe he gets it back with a change of scenery. Good for him if he does! I would take a good high school coach at this point. I am sure someone will tell us that every good high school coach is being pursued by better programs not on an NCAA investigation so we have no shot with them either.

Reaction Score
I agree that this four season stretch doesn't cut it. My whole point was I believe it's going to be really hard for somebody else to come in and do a whole lot better right away. With an obvious short leash coupled with an uphill battle (potential defections, conference, ncaa cloud hanging over the program) there are some quality guys that may opt for more job security than this is one is going to provide. I realize there will still be coaches that are up to taking on the challenge but to say some may think twice is irrational and insane??

I think KO would win more games than anyone else they can bring in for at least the next 2-3 seasons if he could keep the team together this spring and the NCAA investigation doesn't result in any major penalties. I think the young core of the team could turn out to be really good, I'd like to see us keep them together and KO probably offers the best chance to do that.

While it's fair to question if KO can even coach a team up again, it's equally fair to believe he can. Injuries have played significant roles the past two seasons and that championship wasn't pure luck, he's got it in him somewhere. I'd like to see him get one more chance with his back against the wall to show he can turn it around. If you don't that's fine too.

So things are tough for a few years. Big deal. At least there is hope for a return to relevancy. That does not exist under this coaching staff.

I honestly think a good % of the players dont enjoy playing for KO and don't believe he can really develop them. I also believe that many recruits who went elsewhere probably felt similarly. Once he got the stink on him, it wasnt coming off. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is that really what you took away from my multiple posts with multpile paragraphs in this thread? Why do I even bother?

KO has it in him somehwere = he's not showing us it. May we never see it again? Probably. Could we see it next year if he were still here? Maybe.

Anyone else that comes in here next year is going to get their doors blown off, plain and simple. You can book that.

I'm done.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is that really what you took away from my multiple posts with multpile paragraphs in this thread? Why do I even bother?

KO has it in him somehwere = he's not showing us it. May we never see it again? Probably. Could we see it next year if he were still here? Maybe.

Anyone else that comes in here next year is going to get their doors blown off, plain and simple. You can book that.

I'm done.
Bluefin and Tuna liking each other's posts. Classic!

Do you think that we are unaware that a new coach will probably have a terrible year next year? We all know that and we don't care. We will trade next year for a chance that the future is better than where we are likely headed on the current trajectory.

Reaction Score

I'm done.
Be done. You’ve changed the original argument and are now crying foul and falsehoods. The original claim was that Kevin Ollie getting fired before the end of the year or even fired at all, would turn otherwise interested coaches off to taking the UConn job. You used his position as an alum and a Championship coach as evidence that his dismissal would reek of unfairness and no job security to all future coaching candidates. You clearly don’t understand the business Ollie is in.

Guess what? EVERY coach at a major b-ball program who does what Ollie has done over the last four years (including a 2nd rd tournament appearance AND including the NCAA sniffing around) would expect to get fired.

If anything, the magnitude of the crap show that Ollie is leaving behind is likely to result in a longer contract (and more job security) than UConn would idealy like to give. Thanks KO. And he’s also done miraculous work in (at least in the short term) lowering fans’ expectations and definition of acceptable performance. Throw in the mile-wide chasm between the next guy and following a legend, and he’s nearly made the UConn job the most secure opening in the market.

Reaction Score

I'm done.

Bluefin and Tuna liking each other's posts. Classic!

Do you think that we are unaware that a new coach will probably have a terrible year next year? We all know that and we don't care. We will trade next year for a chance that the future is better than where we are likely headed on the current trajectory.

One year LOL..... Who you thinking we are going to get?

Honestly you really think this mess will be cleaned up in 1 year? I pray you are right.

Reaction Score
One year LOL..... Who you thinking we are going to get?

Honestly you really think this mess will be cleaned up in 1 year? I pray you are right.

Who cares if its a bit longer? I would gladly trade the current mess for 3 years of rebuilding and some hope to actually become relevant again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom