It has to be time right?? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It has to be time right??

Reaction Score
So you know Hurley personally and he told you that? Yeah, I didn't think so.

And to the guy that said 2.2M wouldn't be enough, how many coaches in his situation would be making more? 2.2M is enough and there won't be "fierce" competition for him from better programs for exactly the reason stairmaster has been harping on. He has not done enough for anyone to know he is a sure thing. He has promise and 2.2M from a program like UConn is enough to land a "coach with promise."

Oh but you KNOW he has interest from your relationship with him... YOU DONT

If you don’t want to be stuck in the gutter this A/D best find a big time coach and sell out program to him. Nobody is going to be patient nor can we afford it before becoming irrelevant.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I would think someone making $1.1m at URI would have interest in $2.2m (who knows what we would offer him but this is the figure being tossed around on here) at UConn, even if they are currently down. That's a storied program with nice resources, and an extra million a year is a big motivator to take the job and help restore the program to its former glory.

Or if that doesn't work, I hear we might be able to grab a used Tom Crean on the cheap.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh but you KNOW he has interest from your relationship with him... YOU DONT

If you don’t want to be stuck in the gutter this A/D best find a big time coach and sell out program to him. Nobody is going to be patient nor can we afford it before becoming irrelevant.
I never said he is definitely coming. You said he isn't. Get it?

For the record, people in the media have reported rumors he is interested. Unlike you, I can see how that would be plausible. You saying it isn't doesn't make it so.

Reaction Score
For the record, people in the media have reported rumors he is interested. Unlike you, I can see how that would be plausible. You saying it isn't doesn't make it so.

Yea.. cause the media is such a great reliable source.. If that was the case Hami Diallio would be our starting wing...

Reaction Score
I guess it was my way of saying that I don't think a mid-season fire would be well received within the coaching community. Especially in college, you typically give the coach until the end of the season. Factor in that KO was handpicked by JC and is an actual alum, I do think both the timing of this does how it actually is done needs to respected. Not that I even think it will happen, but if DB did fire KO this week, I do think other coaches would interpret it poorly. Again, just thinking out loud and trying to convince myself how a midseason firing could work to our advantage. Not sure it does, but last nights performance certainly warrants it.
The coaching fraternity is somewhat of a farce. There’s a general respect for fellow coaches (emphasis on “general”), but NO ONE is going to give a rat’s behind about Kevin Ollie being fired. 50% of the coaches won’t care. 10% will be glad it wasn’t them. And the other 40% will be disappointed because they knew that they could beat UConn by outcoaching him! It’s a cutthroat business. Someone else’s failure is another person’s gain. They’ll feign outrage b/c of the personal threat of that happening to them someday. But not one guy won’t take the UConn job because of it. Not one.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
2518A2E9-9F0E-4AFF-B7BF-FF0F4E532223.png
Posted this less than a year ago. Wonder what the voting would be now.

Reaction Score
Why does everyone think Hurley would even come here ? Because they think he would get us back quickly? Has there been even the slightest hint Hurley would even consider UCONN?

Or is this just everyone wishing for one guy they think is the next coming of Dean Smith but has not done anything to show he can be a coach of a national powerhouse?

After 3 years and we are under .500 who you going to demand we replace him with ??

First thing Hurley is not coming here...

Second of all. this is going to be the best season out of the next 3. You think our team is bad? wait till they all transfer and we have to restock in April like last year...

My recollection of your posts is that up until recently you did not believe Hurley was a good coach and or better than Ollie. Now it seems that in addition, you do not believe Hurley would be receptive to the opportunity. That would be one reason why you are not credible on this matter.

Reaction Score
Several schools in better positions thsn we are will be going after Hurley. And we are going to be a big rebuild.

My point is we need a proven battle tested Coach. Not somebody who has had a few good seasons at R.I.

Nobody is prepared for 2 or 3 bad seasons to rebuild.

And whoever it is they better be able to recruit cause what little useful talent we have now will not be staying. Unless of course we get a big time Coach..

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
It's possible that they may not honor it if he stays. I'm not sure which is more likely.
Don’t know. This April was always my final litmus test for Ollie. If he retained the players he should and the recruits all came in I was very much wanting to give him one more season.
The NCAA stuff has really turned this whole thing in ways that raise all sorts of new puzzles and dichotomies

Reaction Score
The coaching fraternity is somewhat of a farce. There’s a general respect for fellow coaches (emphasis on “general”), but NO ONE is going to give a rat’s behind about Kevin Ollie being fired. 50% of the coaches won’t care. 10% will be glad it wasn’t them. And the other 40% will be disappointed because they knew that they could beat UConn by outcoaching him! It’s a cutthroat business. Someone else’s failure is another person’s gain. They’ll feign outrage b/c of the personal threat of that happening to them someday. But not one guy won’t take the UConn job because of it. Not one.
I guess you ignored the Tennessee search after the Schiano fiasco. Good coaches with options certainly do care. UConn is not the same job it was 5 years ago and I strongly feel the next hire will be underwhelming. Especially if Benedict fired him mid season.

Reaction Score
Which ones?

How about any one not under NCAA investigation for starters??

It looks like MSU will be on the market but thats a reach for Hurley

Lets see what schools have vacancies at the end of the year. MSU is one obvious one right now.

Reaction Score
I guess you ignored the Tennessee search after the Schiano fiasco. Good coaches with options certainly do care. UConn is not the same job it was 5 years ago and I strongly feel the next hire will be underwhelming. Especially if Benedict fired him mid season.
Yeah I “ignored” the TN search. I also ignored the dismissal of Gordon Chiesa at Providence and Jeff Skilling at Enron. On what planet is the TN football search fiasco remotely comparable to KO being fired before the season ends? Tennessee’s AD got fired for that. Benedict would be justified and applauded.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Whether Hurley would come is one thing, but the idea he wouldn't come to UConn because its not a place you can go to a final 4 at, is kind of absurd.

Reaction Score
Yeah I “ignored” the TN search. I also ignored the dismissal of Gordon Chiesa at Providence and Jeff Skilling at Enron. On what planet is the TN football search fiasco remotely comparable to KO being fired before the season ends?
We are talking about the coaching fraternity and how other coaches react to the mistreatment of one of their own. The Tennessee fiasco and how many coaches after the fact turned them down is quite relevant to what might happen at UConn if the firing is mishandled. If UConn lands their fourth or fifth option.......welll, good night.

Reaction Score
Several schools in better positions thsn we are will be going after Hurley. And we are going to be a big rebuild.

My point is we need a proven battle tested Coach. Not somebody who has had a few good seasons at R.I.

And whoever it is they better be able to recruit cause what little useful talent we have now will not be staying. Unless of course we get a big time Coach..
your posts make no sense. So Hurley isn't good enough for us but we also wouldn't be able to get him to coach here? that's basically what you've said all day

Reaction Score
We are talking about the coaching fraternity and how other coaches react to the mistreatment of one of their own. The Tennessee fiasco and how many coaches after the fact turned them down is quite relevant to what might happen at UConn if the firing is mishandled. If UConn lands their fourth or fifth option..welll, good night.
I don’t know a better way to explain this to you. It’s apples and oranges. Firing Kevin Ollie tomorrow wouldn't be viewed at mistreatment by anyone whose last name isn’t Ollie. Every single coach in America would “get it.” Whether they thought that UConn could have waited until the season ended, it wouldn’t turn one single guy off to Dave Benedict or to the job itself. There may be other reasons, but a mid/late season firing given all that’s going on is not remotely one of them. In comparison, you are talking about a biblical level of incompetence from an AD that resulted in the University of Tennessee being a late night show punch line and ended up costing the AD his job within the week.

Reaction Score
I don’t know a better way to explain this to you. It’s apples and oranges. Firing Kevin Ollie tomorrow wouldn't be viewed at mistreatment by anyone whose last name isn’t Ollie. Every single coach in America would “get it.” Whether they thought that UConn could have waited until the season ended, it wouldn’t turn one single guy off to Dave Benedict or to the job itself. There may be other reasons, but a mid/late season firing given all that’s going on is not remotely one of them. In comparison, you are talking about a biblical level of incompetence from an AD that resulted in the University of Tennessee being a late night show punch line and ended up costing the AD his job within the week.
Congrats for acknowledging the situations are different, however, the reaction by coaches would be quite similar. Multiple coaches would turn UConn down over this. A mid season firing would certainly cause hesitation for many to come here. Your dismissal of this is idiotic.

Reaction Score
Congrats for acknowledging the situations are different, however, the reaction by coaches would be quite similar. Multiple coaches would turn UConn down over this.
Knock yourself out sport. There isn’t a single coach who would otherwise take the UConn job, that would do that. Not one. But keep telling yourself whatever you’d like. I’m done with this conversation.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

What 'battle tested' (you'll have to define that) coach would leave their current high major job to come to UCONN?

And no matter who comes, there's going to be a rebuild.

So, what we need is a young, up and coming coach, who's shown he can resurrect lower (preferably multiple) programs.

Reaction Score
your posts make no sense. So Hurley isn't good enough for us but we also wouldn't be able to get him to coach here? that's basically what you've said all day
All you can do is laugh. It is comical.

Reaction Score
You think it's inconceivable that a coach of the caliber you would want (i.e. has options) might think twice about a job where the last guy was an alum, won a national championship 4 years ago, made it to the second round 2 years ago and they kick him to the curb mid-season? People have different risk tolerances and value job security differently than you might. Come to think of it you might be right about a mid-season or post-season firing being no different, it might be really hard to find a worthy candidate who wants this cutthroat job in either scenario.

Reaction Score
You think it's inconceivable that a coach of the caliber you would want (i.e. has options) might think twice about a job where the last guy was an alum, won a national championship 4 years ago, made it to the second round 2 years ago and they kick him to the curb mid-season? People have different risk tolerances and value job security differently than you might. Come to think of it you might be right about a mid-season or post-season firing being no different, it might be really hard to find a worthy candidate who wants this cutthroat job in either scenario.

He will have missed the tournament 3 out of the last 4 years -- if Hurley wants to go to a place where he can "compete for 4 & 5 star recruits and make it to Final 4s" I don't think he's worried about getting blown out by 20+ points 6 times in a season for the first time in program history or having 3 starters transfer and a top recruit decommit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom