It has to be time right?? | The Boneyard

It has to be time right??

Reaction Score
Under investigation by the NCAA and setting records for blowout losses. What could the AD and the Administraton possibly be waiting for? It will soon be as if Jim Calhoun never happened.

Reaction Score
Under investigation by the NCAA and setting records for blowout losses. What could the AD and the Administraton possibly be waiting for? It will soon be as if Jim Calhoun never happened.
They are waiting for "cause" to be indisputable. It may take a while. But, if Ollie were smart, he would be striking a deal when the season ends. On his current trajectory, he is risking it all. We may be able to escape this with zero extra money spent over the next three years. If KO agrees to a 4mil buyout and Hurley agrees to 2.2 mil per year, we are at break even after three years.

Reaction Score
They are waiting for "cause" to be indisputable. It may take a while. But, if Ollie were smart, he would be striking a deal when the season ends. On his current trajectory, he is risking it all. We may be able to escape this with zero extra money spent over the next three years. If KO agrees to a 4mil buyout and Hurley agrees to 2.2 mil per year, we are at break even after three years.
Why would Hurley even think about coming to UConn with NCAA around asking questions?

Reaction Score
I made a joke on another thread about a gofundme to save the program from the evil monster that is Kevin Ollie. However, as the season has gone on that joke has become a reality, if someone know who to give the money to ill throw money to get this settled.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Why would you fire him during the season? The schools broke. Winning will have them talk about Calhoun. Calhoun will be talked about forever

Reaction Score
Why would Hurley even think about coming to UConn with NCAA around asking questions?
Because it isn't his mess and, hopefully, we will ban ourselves ASAP so the impact to him will be minimal. It is a rebuild job either way. The NCAA likes the Hurleys. They will give him a break if we self-punish and dump Calhoun's hand-picked successor.

We are a team with history, good facilities, good academics and a fairly wealthy and rabid fan base. It is a great opportunity for him. Succeed and he will have options. Move on to even more money or stay in a pretty lucrative and comfortable place. Neither Calhoun or Geno moved on for a reason. The job pays well, the fans love them and Storrs is actually a nice place to live.

Reaction Score
Unless the NCAA comes down in the immediate future he is here until the final game of the season. But I expect that there will be a comment during the AAC tourney that Ollie is coaching his final games at UConn and will be replaced when the season ends.

Reaction Score
Because it isn't his mess and, hopefully, we will ban ourselves ASAP so the impact to him will be minimal. It is a rebuild job either way. The NCAA likes the Hurleys. They will give him a break if we self-punish and dump Calhoun's hand-picked successor.

We are a team with history, good facilities, good academics and a fairly wealthy and rabid fan base. It is a great opportunity for him. Succeed and he will have options. Move on to even more money or stay in a pretty lucrative and comfortable place. Neither Calhoun or Geno moved on for a reason. The job pays well, the fans love them and Storrs is actually a nice place to live.
I agree 100% with the reasons...I just don’t see him coming here with the NCAA hanging around especially with other jobs that may be open. No NCAA investigation...that would be a different story.

Reaction Score
I made a joke on another thread about a gofundme to save the program from the evil monster that is Kevin Ollie. However, as the season has gone on that joke has become a reality, if someone know who to give the money to ill throw money to get this settled.
There already is a gofundme....

The ncaa really has it out for uconn Imo.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

Probably waiting for the end of the season

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
The only person that thinks the “vibes” are good seems to be Kevin Ollie.

I can picture KO talking to the media at the end of the season, after 1/2 of the team decides not to return with him still saying "Vibes are still good. We have enough ......... to field a team.... this is temporary ....".

Reaction Score
Probably waiting for the end of the season

Agreed. If I'm a betting man, 0% chance of mid-season firing, 75% done end of year. We are in the same position UConn Football was a year ago. The support for KO has eroded and I doubt AD David Benedict believes the man in charge can dig himself out. I'd say he is down to his final 5 weeks.

It's sad because I was really rooting for him this year; it would have been best for him and the program. Instead, we are both getting dragged in the mud at the National level. It's time.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

A couple people here were able to raise something like $40k for a bypass machine in Calhoun’s name. Most of this was from a few big donors. The rest was $10 and $20 donations.

Any idea that a $6 million buyout would be possible with a gofundme campaign is incredidibly unrealistic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed. If I'm a betting man, 0% chance of mid-season firing, 75% done end of year. We are in the same position UConn Football was a year ago. The support for KO has eroded and I doubt AD David Benedict believes the man in charge can dig himself out. I'd say he is down to his final 5 weeks.

It's sad because I was really rooting for him this year; it would have been best for him and the program. Instead, we are both getting dragged in the mud at the National level. It's time.

One would have to assume our recruits would not honor their commitment to UConn if Kevin goes, correct?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

While I do agree with this, I am convincing myself that a mid season fire could actually be constructive. There are two things DB needs to consider. First, and why I would actually be shocked of a midseason fire, is the repercussions it would have within the coaching fraternity. Would a good coach really want to come here after DB does KO this dirty? I doubt it. However, the second issue(this is what I am trying to convince myself) is how can DB preserve the UConn brand. UConn could survive a few years of mediocrity, but its the erosion of the UConn brand that concerns me. Has KO destroyed that? Most on here, will say no. I am not as sure. So the question remains, is there a better way to preserve the brand other than admitting that this staff is doing such a poor job representing the brand, that we can't wait until the end of the year? This may have merit. The brand is bigger than anyone. I don't know, just trying to convince myself of that.

Reaction Score
A couple people here were able to raise something like $40k for a bypass machine in Calhoun’s name. Most of this was from a few big donors. The rest was $10 and $20 donations.

Any idea that a $6 million buyout would be possible with a gofundme campaign is incredidibly unrealistic.
Lol youre right about it being unrealistic. Its a horrible feeling being a fan that cant do anything on the drowning ship that youre standing on except just sit and watch it sink :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
It will soon be as if Jim Calhoun never happened.
Can you expound on this thought a bit? I see similar sentiment on this board a lot but have no idea what it means. What is the threshold where the program becomes permanently irrelevant (I think that's what you're saying, maybe not?).

Is it when we've been bad enough for so long that it's not surprising and people stop talking about how bad we are? We're obviously not relevant in the tourny convo this year but do you foresee a time when if UCONN is winning games no one is going to notice? Or are you saying that we're soon about to cross some threshold that if we do, we'll never be able to field a competitve team again?

Or are you saying people are literally going to forget UCONN won the national championship in 2011 and 2014 soon?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I do agree with this, I am convincing myself that a mid season fire could actually be constructive. There are two things DB needs to consider. First, and why I would actually be shocked of a midseason fire, is the repercussions it would have within the coaching fraternity. Would a good coach really want to come here after DB does KO this dirty? I doubt it. However, the second issue(this is what I am trying to convince myself) is how can DB preserve the UConn brand. UConn could survive a few years of mediocrity, but its the erosion of the UConn brand that concerns me. Has KO destroyed that? Most on here, will say no. I am not as sure. So the question remains, is there a better way to preserve the brand other than admitting that this staff is doing such a poor job representing the brand, that we can't wait until the end of the year? This may have merit. The brand is bigger than anyone. I don't know, just trying to convince myself of that.
@djct1999 care to explain what you mean by Benedict doing Ollie dirty? I mean the man gave him a contract that pays him over $3 Million/year and has stood by him since the day he got here..while KO has driven this program into the ground. I don’t see that “being done dirty”...I see that as a guy being held to the standard he is being paid to reach..nothing more/nothing less.

Reaction Score
Nope.

Reaction Score
@djct1999 care to explain what you mean by Benedict doing Ollie dirty? I mean the man gave him a contract that pays him over $3 Million/year and has stood by him since the day he got here..while KO has driven this program into the ground. I don’t see that “being done dirty”...I see that as a guy being held to the standard he is being paid to reach..nothing more/nothing less.
I guess it was my way of saying that I don't think a mid-season fire would be well received within the coaching community. Especially in college, you typically give the coach until the end of the season. Factor in that KO was handpicked by JC and is an actual alum, I do think both the timing of this does how it actually is done needs to respected. Not that I even think it will happen, but if DB did fire KO this week, I do think other coaches would interpret it poorly. Again, just thinking out loud and trying to convince myself how a midseason firing could work to our advantage. Not sure it does, but last nights performance certainly warrants it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom