It’s time to replace Randy. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

It’s time to replace Randy.

Reaction Score
Edsall isn’t going anywhere. And if you don’t think Steven Krajewski settled down, threw the ball better downfield than any of our other QB’s—and showed a growing command of the field—you weren’t watching. I get that UCF had subs in at the end but this game gave Steven Krajewski his sea legs. I want to see him named next weeks starter, take lots of reps with the 1’s and open the playbook for him vs USF.
I watched, game would have been 80-0 if UCF wanted it to be.

Reaction Score
I want to see him named next weeks starter, take lots of reps with the 1’s and open the playbook for him vs USF.
The funny thing is, that is exactly what was done with Jack Zergiotis after the Illinois game. I hope the results are better this time. Sometimes too much coaching, too fast, can be overwelming and mess up a young players head and his feel for the game, IMO. Is there such a thing as over-coaching?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Edsall isn’t going anywhere. And if you don’t think Steven Krajewski settled down, threw the ball better downfield than any of our other QB’s—and showed a growing command of the field—you weren’t watching. I get that UCF had subs in at the end but this game gave Steven Krajewski his sea legs. I want to see him named next weeks starter, take lots of reps with the 1’s and open the playbook for him vs USF.

it was 56-0

fifty six to nothing

Reaction Score
...and you can't compare UCF's meteoric rise to UConn's struggles. As Randy said the other day, UCF is in the center of a recruiting hotbed. UConn isn't, and that's the truth. Doesn't mean the program can't become respectable like it once was, but it's very tough to compete for the best recruits.

How does RE explain Boise who came up to FBS at about the same time as UConn. Must be the allure of Idaho to recruits and the powerful conference in which BSU competes.

You can’t make it up.

The university across the board screwed the football pooch

Reaction Score
let’s just laugh at the fact temple has temple success even though they have a new coach every 90 days.

They beat Maryland and Georgia Tech (28-2 today) already this year.
Most fans would probably take that and they'd also take how Steven Krajewski progressed during tonight's game. His throws were on the money where the receiver had to have them. Give him a chance. It was his first game with any meaningful time and with an OC not up to today's needs.
Hard to imagine how a QB feels when there's 36 seconds left in the half, you have two timeouts left, and the OC and Coach delay until there are two seconds left and try a 52 yard field goal. Hard to believe the kid had any confidence to build on for the second half.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Most fans would probably take that and they'd also take how Steven Krajewski progressed during tonight's game. His throws were on the money where the receiver had to have them. Give him a chance. It was his first game with any meaningful time and with an OC not up to today's needs.
Hard to imagine how a QB feels when there's 36 seconds left in the half, you have two timeouts left, and the OC and Coach delay until there are two seconds left and try a 52 yard field goal. Hard to believe the kid had any confidence to build on for the second half.

yeah pretty sure you missed the temple point.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
How does RE explain Boise who came up to FBS at about the same time as UConn. Must be the allure of Idaho to recruits and the powerful conference in which BSU competes.

You can’t make it up.

You've got a point about Boise State. That's about as remote as it gets. That's why I say success is not easy to achieve in UConn's position, but it is possible.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Agree 100%, but when posters become the naysayers, and as you say, they don't give it enough time, I just get the feeling through their statements that they are happy to see UConn football go into the toilet. Haters masquerading as fans.

What, exactly, is “enough time?” What should our record be in year 3? How many years should it take us to get out of the bottom ten in the nation?

Honest question — in year 3 of the “turnaround,” is RE 2.0 meeting your expectations?

Reaction Score

Poor Tyler Davis, can't catch a break. I figured it would be tough transitioning from the triple option but Jeez.

Reaction Score
it was 56-0

fifty six to nothing
Thia board is one of the strangest places, it's the same thing after every game and every season. We lose a game to a team who could have beaten us 100-0 and we have people defending the coach. The coach names his new QB in the heat of the moment in a post game presser after he just coached a game where he could've lost 100-0, after just naming another starting quarterback the starter because he has "it." It's like these people have Stockholm Syndrome.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
RE made the choice to make a true frosh a starter knowing his first two starts would be on the road against a B1G team and a top 25 AAC team.

Most coaches try to find a soft spot to throw in a new starter.
like tua in the nat. championship?

Reaction Score

You can’t make it up.

Boise has been FBS/D1 for a long time. Their recruiting success is called the CA Juco pipeline and a wide open style of play.

Reaction Score
I'd say edsall should be gone at the end of the year if there is no improvement. If he were a good coach he would have identified one of his QBs as the out right starter. He obviously is going to play each QB and then likely throw that player under the bus since he can't own up to the fact that he just sucks gameplanning/adjusting. He gets a pass tonight since UConn had no chance in hell of competing, but going forward there needs to be improvement, especially against a USF.

Reaction Score
Boise has been FBS/D1 for a long time. Their recruiting success is called the CA Juco pipeline and a wide open style of play.
And a long history of football success going back to their jc days. The school was founded in order to field a football team.

Reaction Score
Liked he showed mobility. Maybe he doesn’t practice well but seemed to get more comfortable as game progressed.

Reaction Score
Replace Edsall with whom? Right now, UConn could get the guy who coaches the Fighting Schickeles from the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople. UConn could perhaps find a disgraced former coach looking for a re-entry point. Otherwise UConn would have to essentially bribe someone to replace Edsall. And it would have to be a large bribe. But the point is moot because 1) UConn doesn't have the money and 2) UConn has already proven it won't spend money on football coaches anyways.

There is no present path for an upcoming coach to leverage success at UConn into a better job somewhere else. The barrier to being successful is just too high. That will severely restrict the pool of potential candidates.

Reaction Score
I'd say edsall should be gone at the end of the year if there is no improvement. If he were a good coach he would have identified one of his QBs as the out right starter. He obviously is going to play each QB and then likely throw that player under the bus since he can't own up to the fact that he just sucks gameplanning/adjusting. He gets a pass tonight since UConn had no chance in hell of competing, but going forward there needs to be improvement, especially against a Shittu USF.

Can we just get a coach who remembers to tell the QB's to avoid throwing it right to the guys in the other color shirts? Or who will remind them to not just let the ball slip out of their hand and have the other team pick it up?

Reaction Score
If nothing else, Randy Edsall is a survivor.

FACT: He is among a relative handful of current FBS head coaches who have been a head coach for 20 years or more.

FACT: Randy is the only one of those veteran head coaches to "boast" a lifetime losing record.

I suspect Coach Edsall will survive the 2019 season and will be welcoming his Class of 2020 to Storrs before you know it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And a long history of football success going back to their jc days. The school was founded in order to field a football team.
They also built their team up taking guys who were partial-qualifiers (the old prop-48) that were talented but no other D1 school would touch. That's no longer the case, but helped them get the initial flow of talent in to get the ball rolling..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom